If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating Right?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

R3ydium Find out more about R3ydium
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Right?

What type of day to day eating does everyone partake in?

I've been told by my dr that I need to cut down on fats, sodium and cholesterol. I am having a hard time finding a good "diet" and sticking to it. I'm not talking about a fad diet to loose weight, im talking about a day to day diet that I can actually live by.

I worry about cholesterol intake, and animal fats b/c my father very unexpectedly died of a heart attack at an early age. He DID NOT have HCM, but rather a undetected cholesterol disease (Which is hereditary) I myself, want to stay on top of this as much as possible. I am only 25, and feel I am in decent shape, but a healthy diet is something I am lacking right now.

I've done a lot of research and feel I have a pretty good handle on nutrition over all, but I am curious what other folks do around here? I am planning on slowly moving to a healthier diet over the course of a short time as to not shock my body by altered levels of protein and fiber, etc . .

Thoughts?

Re: Eating Right?

Hi

I think I've always eaten pretty cleany and I'm an ideal weight with good choles. levels so I'd thought I'd share although I've never done research on nutrition and I'm probably lacking something. High cholesterol runs high in my family too even when we eat well.

I only drink water, or sometimes an all natural grape or blueberry juice or veggie juice. I never drink coffee or soda. I haven't eaten beef or pork since I was 18 (I'm 32). If I have pizza it's the soy cheese kind. If I eat bread or pasta it's the whole grain variety.

A typical day:

breakfast: Kashi whole oat cereal with blueberries and skim milk OR oatmeal OR lentil beans and egg whites Or an Odwalla bar or other protein bar.

lunch: a big chicken salad which is: a couple of cups of baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, mushroom, 2 heads of broccoli, a slice of skim milk cheese. 1-2 tablespoons of my homemade salad dressing (extra virgin olive oil base with no salt seasoning and no sulfite vinegar). 3-4 oz of plain baked chicken breast then I add a buffalo sauce to it (vinegar & cayenne pepper).

dinner: i bake sweet potatoes with a little olive oil and black pepper. baked turkey or alaskan salmon or some other form of protein. Then I eat fruit strawberries, blueberries, mango, dried goggi berries, ect.

snack: a couple vitamuffin (those whole grain, full of fiber, healthy version of muffins in the natural frozen foods aisle). OR all natural long grain brown rice cakes OR Kashi crackers.

I breastfeed a hungry baby so I often have to add tablespoons of peanut butter throughout the day to get the extra protein and fats and to make sure I keep some fat on me. I have 2 kids under 2 and I work full time so I'm really too busy to crave bad foods, or even sit down to eat, so I have that going for me.

Good luck with your diet change!
    Diagnosed during pregnancy age 30, July 2007
    2 mutated genes found in Feb 2009
    ICD Nov 12, 2009
    2 daughters born in '07 & '09. Normal EKGs.
    No known family history of HCM
    In 1995, at age 18, an echo for a misdiagnosed mvp showed HCM but it went unnoticed.
    Still jog and feel no symptoms on most days.

Comment

The American Heart Association has some excellent, common-sense guidelines. Basically, eat more fruits & veggies, limit fats and sodium. try to avoid all processed food (meats, prepared foods). There are many interesting cookbooks on eating for a healthier lifestyle. I think the key is to tailor it to you needs, Don't like fish, try adding omega supplements, Don't like soy ior rice milk? try a 50/50 mix. Spices can do so much for everything - tofu, beef, pork & chicken and vegetables. Try new rice-based noodles or whole grain ones. Buy smaller packages until your sure you like a product. Figure out a healthy snack you can pack to avoid fast-food binges. Experiment! Eventually you'll find something that makes you & your doctor and your stomach happy.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

We learn early in life that food and air are basic to our survival. Eating healthy foods like: vegetables and fruits....
        __________________________________________________ ______
        Looking for CPAP mask in Toronto, Treat sleep apnea in Toronto, Sleep Apnea Treatment Toronto?

Comment

Usually my Full Strength Shake for breakfast (w/mixed berries for an awesome smoothie www.fullstrength.com)

Snack will be a bowl of oatmeal and/or some nuts

Lunch is some type of sandwich or salad

Snack/ will be another Full Strength or maybe nothing if I'm going to workout.

Dinner/ salad, chicken, some type of veggie.

Something like this my friend. Trying my best to avoid the sugars, salts, and stuff like that.
          Benjamin
          www.icando.spreadshirt.com

Comment

my name is barbara. My husband has hcm. I try to stick to wholesome foods..nothing processed. No boxed foods. Just cream of wheat, rice, pasta, homemade pancakes; real fruit; no fruit bars; salads; must be careful with consumption of beets - they are natural vasodilators. My understanding is that people with hcm should avoid vasodilators. So no beets to you. Good luck!

Comment

Is it good health-wise to take protein bars and candies to balance the daily protein intake? My uncle eats protein bars and he is 39 years old. One of his gym friends advised him. I'm concerned because of his age. He is not a young dude anymore but he doesn't listen.
              Built Bar Coupons

Comment

Hi R3ydium,
                Don't worry here more diets present here I'm discussion about that details that is more useful ro improve food quality like adequacy, energy control, nutrient density etc. Choose a variety of food and eat grains as the largest portion of food in every meal. Eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. Limits saturated and trans fats, sodium, and added sugars. Controls portion sizes. Try a non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of cooking oil for sautéing instead of frying with solid fat. You want more details about the diet process check here that is more useful to your health.

Comment

Diet is the key to our condition. There is no doubt about it. However, effective eating is really tricky sometimes. The day I was diagnosed I opted for a diet that is enriched with therapeutic herbs and spices. That was probably the best decision of my life. Now I am in perfect shape and internally much stronger than ever. I followed iahas.com for some great recipes that are full of the goodness of Ayurveda.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X