If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual kid screening and insurance

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

NDFAN Find out more about NDFAN
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual kid screening and insurance

Our insurance has changed, and while it is still "good," it's not nearly as good was it was last year. In the past, I have been able to bring my kids to our local ped card and have an EKG and echo done, and just pay our copay. Starting this year, it will all be out of pocket, since we now have deductibles that are pretty high. I think it will end up being about $500 per kid each year to have the tests done.

I am going to try to lobby our insurance company to see if I can get at least some of the expense covered. Most likely futile, I know, but I need to try. I am going to enlist the help of the ped card and make the case that since HCM is genetic, there are universally agreed upon guidelines for screening all children in HCM families, and that these yearly screenings are preventative. The insurance plan covers all preventative care and certain tests like mammograms and colonoscopies at 100% and are not subject to the deductible.

Has anyone else ever tried this? Is there anything else anyone can think of that I should add in my attempt to get this covered?

Re: Annual kid screening and insurance

I think its worth a shot. You might also see if you can set up one of those accounts at work to have these fees taken out "pre tax". When our kids were small - all doctor, dentist, medicine, etc. came out of this account and it was helpful (somewhat) - the hard part is trying to guesstimate what your needs are. Because - if you don't use it, you lose it.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I am in the same boat this year, but am hoping for a different result. I used to have an individual Blue Shield PPO policy that refused to pay for my son's annual echo and screening. I negotiated a cash price with the Pediatric cardiologist ahead of time (which was somewhere in the $800 range). I am hoping that my new employer based Anthem PPO policy will cover screening, but we are waiting to see. I may be right there with you next week.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I so wish there was some kind of option for uninsured HCM patients and their kids to get low-cost echocardiograms. Both of my kids are due for a screening but without insurance, we're not sure how we will swing it. I'm going to call around and see if any of the local docs will work with us.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X