If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dental work

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dental work

[dental work]

Author: Wade (---.eds.net)

Date: 11-06-02 05:51

Hello,

I was just recently diagnosed with HCM, but had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed shortly before my diagnosis...about a year ago. I understand people with certain heart and valve problems need to take antibotics before having dental work done to prevent infection...I didn't since I wasn't diagnosied until after my dental procedure. Should I be worried, or if there was a problem with infection would I have noticed by now? (it was over 12 months ago).

Thanks!

Wade

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: dental work]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 11-06-02 07:33

Signs of endocarditis can show up 5 days to many weeks later...if you get "sick" have a low grade fever, loss of appitite, or show any "flu like symtoms" see your doc...a blood test can tell if you have this or not... PRE medicate in the future!

Lisa

Author: Julie Petitpas (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-06-02 08:42

Lisa,

My brother had dental work done before he passed away. It was a pretty invasive treatment for early signs of gingivitus. Do you know if this could have had any effect on him? Remember he didn't know he had HCM.-Julie

Author: maura mendoza (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-06-02 12:24

Hello everyone !

now I am wondering about the whole dental thing, what happens if infection becomes present ? especially in some one w/ un-detected hcm? Could there have been prior infection that caused hcm to advance ? Thanks just another curiosity question. Maura

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 11-06-02 15:49

Re infection advancing HCM - NO.

Re if endocarditis would have caused death, Yes it is possible...it would have shown up on the autopsy. I could not say if it would have had any effect one way or the other.

Lisa

Author: Janessa (---.dialsprint.net)

Date: 11-06-02 23:04

Wade,

My experience with endocarditis was after the placement of my ICD. As Lisa said, in about 4 days I started having an awful time relaxing. Shortness of breath, chest fullness, pain. Around the fifth day I was unable to lie flat without serious pain and the sixth day I was totally non-functional and in EXTREME pain especially with any attempt to lie down or attempts to take deep breaths. Why did it take me so long to call my doc, especially after just having surgery? Who knows, anyway I've had it twice and the second time was just like the first as far as the symptoms.That delay in calling my doc to ask about my pain landed me back in the hosp. for 3 days for something that could have been treated at home if I would have called in the earlier stages but anyway: My experiance leads me to think that you would have certainly noticed by now. Most dentists, once you indicate on your paperwork that you have a heart condition, will question you as to wether or not you pre-medicated before they will even clean your teeth since there is always a chance of bleeding. When I make my follow up appt's I ask the secretary to make a note beside my name so that when they call to remind me of the appt, they will also remind me to pre-med.

Author: Wade (---.blumtn01.pa.comcast.net)

Date: 11-07-02 07:56

Thanks!!

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 11-07-02 12:06

My first sign of endocarditis was 5 days after dental work... my hand lost all feeling??? then it happened again a few days later??? Then I was a bit tired...but I was on my honeymoon (YES ...my honeymoon!) when I got home I had the loss of feeling again??? it always came back a few minutes after it began... THEN I had the head ache of all all head aches.... (1 month after the dental work, nearly to the day)... well this was not a headache...it was a stroke!

I never had a noticable fever...no weight loss (I only wish)...just tired and lost feeling in my hand off and on..oh and one time lost feeling in the left side of my face then BANG stroke....I had no typical signs of endocarditis...

SO BECAREFUL!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X