If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lipids & HCM?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipids & HCM?

[Lipids & HCM?]

Author: Karla (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-05-02 07:42

Hi Gang,

Hubby went to PCP yesterday for his lipid panel evaluation. In addition to having HCM, his reads for his cholesterol and tryglycerides came back abnormally high. (Again!) The doc has been monitoring him for this for the past several years; (prior to our discovery of HCM) and despite the meds he has been on (for the past year or so) they just won't fall in the 'normal' range. Doc was not happy about this and is giving hubby 2 months to get things under control before he gets more aggresive with more meds.

Anyone know of a web site that gives detailed info and cooking tips for a diet? Hubby has tried his best to watch what he eats, but looks as if he needs a stricter diet! I have a copy of a general one from doctor's office.

What effect - if any - does this have on HCM? Or, is he just one of the 'lucky ones' having more than one battle to fight?

Karla

ps...he leaves for Cleveland Clinic a week from today!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Lipids & HCM?]

Author: Pat (---.d00832.dlup.digitaldune.net)

Date: 11-05-02 12:41

Karla,

I'd put these questions near the top of your list to ask the doctors at CC! I'm sure they have ideas--as well as dieticians who have lots of information about low-cholesterol, low-fat cooking. Ask them about exercise, too--there has been research into the role of exercise in helping our bodies "burn up" our extra cholesterol & lipids!

Good luck to both of you,

Pat

Author: Dan (207.164.156.---)

Date: 11-05-02 13:15

Hi Karla; Thought you might check out a few websites for information on lowering cholesterol. I agree with Pat as well, if there are dietitians at Cleveland Clinic take advantage of the information/resources they have. I remeber working for the dietitians at a local hospital here in Ottawa and we obtained all kinds of little recipe booklets from many manufacturers of low LDL products.

As well, you may want to take a look at the following websites for general dietary information about lowering cholesterol levels:

www.familydoctor.org/ (This is part of the Americal Academy of Family Physicians)

www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/index (This is the National Heart, Lung, & Blood Institute of the National Institute of Health). Follow the links for Patients and General Public to "Heart & Vascular Diseases".

www.americanheart.org/ (This is the American Heart Association). Do a search for 'cholesterol'. The third item should be about cooking to lower cholesterol levels.

Hope this is of some help.

Good luck!

Dan.

Author: Lynn Stewart (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)

Date: 11-05-02 13:22

Hi Karla,

I'm 31 years old and in the midst of my diagnosis this past Spring for my HCM it was discovered that my cholesterol was very high and my triglycerides were off the chart (400+).

I tried to diet as strict as I could for 3 months despite working through the stress of my diagnosis of HCM. When it was rechecked some things had been impacted by my diet for the better but unbelievably my triglycerides had actually risen to 687!!! So the doctor put me on Tricor and though I *hated* and stubbornly resisted the idea of more medication, it along with following the books/cookbooks I picked up endorsed by the American Heart Association (or those books that follow the AHA diet guidelines) brought all my numbers, including my triglycerides down into normal range within 3 months (trigylcerides dropped to an astonishing 122!!).

When I mentioned my high cholesterol to the folks at CCF with regards to my HCM I didn't find that they were necessarily concerned about the cholesterol (other than getting things in normal ranges for preventing other heart problems) but I would still bring the subject up to them when your husband visits next week. They are the experts! Additionally, I find that when I am careful to eat within the AHA guidelines my HCM seems a little easier to manage as the heart is not overworking to help the rest of my body handle the less healthier foods.

Hope this helps,

Lynn

Author: Sandy (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-05-02 13:49

Anyone else tried ground flaxseed? I brought my total reading down 50 more points with the addition of 1 1/2 Tbs.ground flaxseed daily in addition to exercise, low or nearly no fat diet & the use of benecol. Total drop of 100 points but it did take time ... 3 months wasn't long enough to see changes..

Author: Tom (---.eosinc.com)

Date: 11-05-02 22:01

I take flaxseed (oil) in the capsule form. Not sure of the effect on my numbers but I'm usually in the "normal" category in almost every area, thankfully.

I do take Niaspan to help out with the HDL, for what it's worth.

Author: Karla (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-06-02 07:58

Thanks, All- for you input and info! I will check out the aforementioned websites and will make sure hubby broaches the subject when he is in Cleveland. The suggestions of alternative meds are great, too!

He does take Tricor - has for about 2 years now. Just doesn't seem to do the trick, hoping that a stricter diet will help.

He tries to exercize, but with his fatigue from his HCM he just doesn't get many opportunities.

Thanks again for your tips!

Best to all - Karla

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 11-06-02 08:34

All great advise guys...just because we have HCM does not mean we can not develope other forms of heart disease...some of you know just what I mean,,,

So becareful and eat 'heart wise' at all times!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X