If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insomnia, Nightmares & Atenolol

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insomnia, Nightmares & Atenolol

[Insomnia, Nightmares & Atenolol]

Author: Dolly W (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-03-02 20:15

I just started taking Atenolol 25mg/day. Immediately I began having nightmares and now insomnia for the past week. I have recently seen some posts on this board indicating that this could possibly be due to Atenolol. Is this so? If so, does this subside over time, or does it continue mercilesly? I don't think that I can deal with this on a continual basis.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dolly W

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Insomnia, Nightmares & Atenolol]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 11-04-02 08:12

I am on Corgard/natolol... I have vivid dreams just about every night.. I have had them for almost 15 years... I am not bothered by them..it is more like your own movie every night... Anyone who I work with or my family have held leading roles at one time or another...they are really not bad..just take a little getting use to. ]

What is strange is the amount of recall of my dreams I have... Last night was the bunnies and other animals that lived in my parents from yard...then I slept over my brothers house but I had to sleep on the floor because the house was full...Gees Lar ya could have brought me a cot!

Nothing bad..just a dream... if you get use to remembering them it can actually be fun. Yes I know Lisa needs a hobby!

Later

Lisa

Author: faith (---.214.121.232.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)

Date: 11-04-02 12:13

I have had vivid dreams as had Lisa which I've also have enjoyed for about 12 years. However, I also have insomnia that no one has been able to help. Atenolol and nadolol have been my two betablockers of choice, and interestingly, when I went off of them and onto verapamil, which was subsequently contraindicated owing to low blood pressure, the insomnia greatly lessened. Now I'm back on 25 mg. atenelol and am an insomniac. I, too, would love relief.

Author: Pat (---.d00832.dlup.digitaldune.net)

Date: 11-04-02 12:28

Dolly,

The atenelol gave me a couple of nights with almost no sleep, though I wasn't aware that nightmares had awakened me. With Toprol XL I awaken more than I used to without any beta-blocker, but I can usually get back to sleep in about 15 minutes. I'd suggest you discuss the possibility of trying other beta blockers with your physician!

Good luck,

Pat

Author: Leon Miller (---.cap.east.verizon.net)

Date: 11-04-02 13:41

I recently had to increase my dose of Atenalol to 100mg. I have been waking up a lot at night and wondering why? I thought it was worry about my pending ICD, but I was not conscious about feeling anxiety. Now I am wondering if the Atenalol is the culprit?

Leon

Author: Bryan (---.bos.east.verizon.net)

Date: 11-04-02 16:07

I dont have nightmares but I have dreams that I actually act out. One time my girlfriend woke me up cause I had my elbow in her throat and was pushing down, and another time cause I was slapping the dog. This has been happening for a long as I can remember can beta blockers cause this?

Author: Bryan (---.bos.east.verizon.net)

Date: 11-04-02 16:09

I forgot to mention im not on Atenolol. I was just switched from Lopressor to Verapamil

Author: Dolly W (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-04-02 21:14

Oh Lisa, you always have a way of putting things in perspective. How funny!

In other words, if you can't beat em', join em'!

Bryan - I took Verapamil (which is a calcium channel blocker) 320mg/day for 15 years and never experienced those symptoms myself. The only time I acted out my dreams was when I took Nyquil Liquicaps (a long time ago) and had an invasion of the body snatchers dream!

Everyone else, thanks for your input, I will call my cardio tomorrow to see if we can switch to something else or if I'll just have to join forces with the dreams!

Author: Glen (65.247.42.---)

Date: 11-05-02 08:52

Hi Dolly, you bring up a good subject that I have wondered about many times.

I took Inderal for 30 years (an old beta-blocker not used much anymore).

The dreams I remembered were quite strange, almost like a fantasy and usually involved a struggle, but not usually nightmarish.

Earlier this year I switched to Atenolol and my dreams changed, became more vivid and more true to life, I remember much more of them and actually enjoy them now compared to the Inderal dreams. I seem to participate in them now.

I don't know if it's a specific beta-blocker, but just beta-blockers in general.

Maybe we have a dream expert out there with HCM who could tell us all what our dreams mean (just kidding).

Well keep dreaming, it's a good clue your still living.

Glen

Author: Sarah B. -Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 11-08-02 19:52

Hi,

My ex-husband's ex-girlfriend was on inderal once and Wayne woke up one night to find himself being beaten with a pillow --she was dreaming of spiders and trying to fend them off.

My mother calls Inderal "End-it-all" since the side effects are so rotten for her.

All beta-blockers seem to enhance dreams or cause nightmares, depending on which one and how it interacts with your body chemistry and your psyche.

For me, Toprol was too much (very bad dreams) but Corgard is just fine. So if you are having big dream/sleep problems, talk to your doctor about trying a newer model! It can make a real difference.

Sarah
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X