[HCMA trivia... and the Clergy...]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 11-03-02 16:19

This is just an interesting side note:

As a human resource manager and patient advocate I often ask a new member what their occupation is. I do this for several reasons, mostly I am checking to make sure that an occupation that someone has a not be placing them in harm due to their HCM... Further we all have rights under the ADA and FMLA that you may not be aware of, so I am checking to ensure your rights are upheld A.

At this moment I do believe the largest number of members who participate in the same occupation are clergymen from just abound every religion under the sun. Why do I mention this fact? Well... I am not an extremely religious person however, I do believe that there's a far greater power guiding our way. The way I figure it if we have so many religions, philosophy's and caring people as members of the HCMA we have a pretty good line of communication to the powers that be.

I do like to maintain confidentiality of our membership so I will not mention who among you are members of the clergy. But I will ask you for favor... keep us all in your prayers !

Best wishes,

Lisa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: HCMA trivia... and the Clergy...]

Author: Dave Johnson (---.lr.anc.net)

Date: 11-03-02 22:41

I'm a member of the 'Clergy' (though I'm not really sure what that word means..!). I'm the pastor of Calvary Chapel in Little Rock, AR. I don't look like a pastor (I have really long hair, and am not your typical uptight - serious-all-the-time preacher-type). I have two people in my congregation with serious heart problems and one of them with HCM (not including myself). I actually do pray for all you guys - not by name of course, because I don't know everybody.

The main thing I pray is that by your example of making the most out of life, in the midst of a difficult situation, that others around you will realize how blessed they are to have thier health, thier families, thier ability to work, run, play, etc. I pray for other things as well, but I won't bore you here...

I don't like to proselytize, and I don't say this so that I can beat anyone over the head with a Bible, but if anyone needs to talk or whatever, I'm totally available - just e-mail me personally.

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 11-04-02 08:14

Thanks Dave... you were one of the ones I was speaking of and I thank you for your posting.

Lisa

Author: Charlie Heater (---.bgk.bellsouth.net)

Date: 11-04-02 10:19

I fit this category. I am pastor of the First Church of God in East Point, Ky. We are located in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky. I have been pastoring 30 years but was only diagnosed with HCM last year. This web site has been extremely helpful. I also enjoyed talking to Lisa. It was very informative and comforting. As a matter of fact we even talked about the number of clergy with HCM. I will be praying and if I can be of any help otherwise please feel free to contact me.

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 11-04-02 11:11

Charlie.. it was our conversation that lead me to ... well go public with our large population of clergy!

I thought the members would find it comforting that you guys are puting in a good word for us all!

Best wishes,

Lisa

Author: Leon Miller (---.cap.east.verizon.net)

Date: 11-04-02 13:36

Wow! Who would have thought that clergy would be so well represented on this board. I too am a pastor. Lisa do we carry a defective gene or something that likns HCM and clergy work?

Leon

Author: Diane C (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-04-02 14:50

WOW!. This is awesome. I attend Calvary Chapel of Carson Valley in NV. It is definitely nice to know that somebody clear accross the US also is praying for you. I will defintely be praying for all of you.

Lisa you really have set up a good website. It is awesome to be able to talk about your fears and have your questions answered.

Author: john jordan (---.public.lawson.webtv.net)

Date: 11-08-02 23:35

it is nice to be supported by others as one deals with illness. these past months as i had myectomy and two bypasses at the CCF it was most assuring to have the support of the HCMA as well as my parishoners who i had been pastoring over this past year. now that i am back in the parish the support of all of u as well as my parishoners has been a grace i am most grateful for, now and forever. amen. john