If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another mystery death --in my town

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another mystery death --in my town

[Another mystery death --in my town]

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-30-02 02:56

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...i%2Dnews%2Dhed

Teen's basketball death remains a mystery

Tribune staff reports

October 29, 2002, 2:16 PM CST

Grief counselors were on hand today for the 3,000 students of Oak Park-River Forest High School (note: just 8 blocks from where I am sittign right now --sarah), where a student died Monday night after collapsing on a basketball court.

Marcus Henderson, 17, of the 700 block of South Euclid Avenue in Oak Park, collapsed about 7 p.m. after an intramural basketball game. He was taken to West Suburban Hospital Medical Center in Oak Park, where he was pronounced dead, according to a spokesman for the Cook County medical examiner.

The medical examiner's office conducted an autopsy today and said its findings were inconclusive. Additional tests were ordered to determine the teen's cause of death.

The spokesman said Henderson had no known prior medical conditions that could have led to his death, and school officials and classmates said the student showed no signs of illness before he collapsed.

A senior, Henderson was a member of an intramural basketball team, which is separate from the school's interscholastic junior varsity and varsity teams.

Witnesses said the intramural game had ended and Henderson was shooting baskets at the free-throw line when he collapsed.

"He just fell, and everybody was like, 'Oh, Marcus, quit playing, quit playing, get up.' And he wasn't saying anything. So everybody just ran over there," a teammate, Ryan Clark, told CLTV.

"I ran over and said, 'Marcus, get up! Marcus, get up!' He wasn't saying anything. He was just lying there."

Athletic trainers from the school tried to help Henderson immediately. But neither they nor the paramedics who arrived shortly could not revive him.

"He was a very focused, purposeful and enthusiastic young man," Oak Park-River Forest Principal Susan Bridge said today.

An Oak Park native, Henderson was involved in the school’s dance program and had choreographed a piece presented at a concert last week, Bridge said. He took honors and advanced placement courses, was involved all four years in the school’s intramural basketball program and had a black belt in tae kwan do.

He had been checking out colleges and universities with his parents and had planned to go into teaching or psychology, Bridge said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[R. I . P. Marcus Henderson]

Author: maura mendoza (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-30-02 07:57

Another Mother cries today as her heart has been broken into a zillion pieces. Her life as she has known it gone as if it was never in existance

Marcus's rest in peace sweet boy, embrace your family with your love from heaven.

Even tho this boy's autopsy results are inconclusive, my gut instinct tells me it is yet again the Killer HCM .......Another sweet soul lost to those that love him. I cry tears today for all those that have left us un-detected. I rage with in with the knowledge that these sudden deaths were most preventable. I mourn in stillness the Loss of my beloved son Travis. I embrace others who live in the boundries of loosing a loved one to HCM........Love and Light to the family of Marcus Hendrson, Rest in peace Sweet Boy !

[Re: R. I . P. Marcus Henderson]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-30-02 08:41

WHAT EVER THE CAUSE... LIKELY HCM..

God Bless Marcus Henderson

Sarah keep an eye on your local news and let us know when you know more.

here we go again...

Lisa

Author: Julie Petitpas (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-30-02 10:38

As I was reading this story it gave me chills. It was like reliving my brother Jason's death all over again. Another young athlete gone because of what seems to be undetected condition. Doesn't anyone see this is happening? Like the medical community.

Marcus' family are truly in my prayers today and always. For I have something in common with them that I wish I didn't. God Bless Marcus and watch over his family in this VERY difficult time.

Julie

Author: Zlata Janicijevic (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 10-30-02 13:21

My love and prayer go out to Marcus' faimily and friends. God bless you Marcus. I will think of you and your family in my prayers. Peace be with you.

Zlata

Author: Sharon (---.ph.ph.cox.net)

Date: 10-30-02 20:15

My heart breaks for Marcus and his family. I know their road is long and sad.

God Bless Marcus and his family!

Sharon

Anthony's Mom

Author: Mary Catania (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-31-02 09:10

I am so sorry to hear about Marcus' death. My heart and prayers go out to his family. I know the pain they are going through. It happened the same way with my son...he collapsed suddenly after playing hockey in gym, at first they thought he was fooling around, the paramedics tried to save him but it was too late...he was pronounced dead at the hospital. The autopsy showed it was HCM, previously undiagnosed. We need external defibrillators in our schools, we need more thorough testing for children involved in sports.

May God give Marcus' family the strength to go on after this tragedy. May He send them His loving comfort and care.

With deep sympathy,

Mary
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X