If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

delayed surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delayed surgery

[delayed surgery]

Author: Jerilyn (---.tnt23.chi15.da.uu.net)

Date: 10-28-02 22:08

I was scheduled to have a myectomy at the Cleveland Clinic last July and did not go through with it. I was in a car accident with my youngest daughter a few weeks before my scheduled surgery and we both ended up in the hospital. She never woke up and after 8 days died in ICU of head trama. She was 18 years old. I only spent one night in the hospital, as I was banged up and my heart rate was up to about 160 beats a minute, but physically I was OK.

I had to cancel my surgery because I did not think I had the stamina to deal with any more trama. Nor could I ask my 20 year daughter and my husband to go through any more stress. I have gone back to full-time work to try to return to normal and find myself feeling very tired along with the usual chest pressure.

Recently, I have been wondering if I should consider having an ablation procedure when I am ready to deal with it. I recall my dad having by-pass surgery in the 1970's and he was emotionally very sensitive after the operation. He fought depression and would cry easily. Since I am already emotionally dealing with a parents worse nightmare, I wonder how if I can ever deal with the emotional side effects of a heart procedure.

Can anyone tell me how they felt emotionally after the ablation procedure? After the myectomey? Thanks for any input you can provide.

Jerilyn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: delayed surgery]

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-28-02 22:59

Dear Jerilyn,

First of all, I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter. I know what it is to lose a family member.

While I haven't had either procedure, I would like to say that post-surgery support and depression support have improved dramatically in the last 20-30 years. Everyone who has posted here about either procedure almost always very grateful that they had it done and feel much improved after the recovery period. Please read "Good advice for everyone" post of 9/22/02 for some good insight about emotions and life recovery and after surgery.

It is certainly worth going back to Cleveland to be re-evaluated and see which procedure is best for you now and to discuss recovery plans and support.

While it is certainly very hard to grieve and have major heart surgery at the same time, if your health requires the surgery, it is important to think about it. Your understanding of how hard all of this is/will be, puts you way ahead of the game. Developing a plan of support with friends, family, your doctors, and getting therapy and/or medication around the process will really make a big difference.

Your daughter would want you to take care of yourself and do whatever it takes for you to be with the rest of your family for as long as possible, wouldn't she?

I wish you all the best --and we are all here for you too.

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-29-02 08:41

Jerilyn -

I am very sorry to hear of your loss and know you must be going through a very difficult time.

The emotional effects of any procedure vary greatly based on the individual and the issues they are facing in life. I can not say I have heard anyone, having either procedure who has explained the level of depression you mentioned your father having. I would caution you in several areas, your dad had his procedure in the 70's and many things have changed since then - -I do not know what complications, if any, your dad had, but I do know we have become a great deal better at patient care, pain management and working with the whole patient since the 70's.

You have been seen by the Cleveland Clinic - they are very well trained in both ablation and myectomy - I do not know if you are a candidate for both procedures or not, but your doctor does, ask him. If you are not feeling well due to your HCM it will be harder for you to recover from the trama you have been through...in order for your 'heart and sole' to heal you may need to heal your heart first.

Should you choose to have surgury/ablation now at the Cleveland Clinic...not only do you have one of the best centers in the world... you now have an angel watching over you.

Be well ... heal yourself and heal your family with time, care and a little faith.

All the best,

Lisa

Author: Dorothy Devantier (---.90.228.68.Dial1.Detroit1.Level3.net)

Date: 10-29-02 14:34

Dear Jerilyn,

Let me express my sorrow for the loss of your daughter. As I have three, I could not imagine what it would be like to lose any one of them.

It has been two years since I had a myectomy done at Cleveland Clinic. It, too, was a rough year for our family. My father-in-law should have been in kidney dialysis, but refused to recognize the danger in not going or telling anyone that he needed it. On top of that, he suffered a heart attack. I put off surgery to see him back to health. When he did not improve, even on dialysis, the decision was made to go ahead with my surgery. My strength was waning rapidly. I could not walk the halls of the hospital, or keep vigil with him and his condition worsened.

On August 2, 2000, I entered surgery with a heavy heart, but the knowledge that God was with me and had helped me make this decision. My husband, two of those three lovely daughters, three grandchildren and my sister saw me into surgery. Fortunately, everything turned out as I was sure it would. I began to feel better, as I could breathe again; and my heart was no longer racing inside of my chest! I'm not saying that it was any picnic, but the outlook was a whole lot better than before. It took us about seven hours to make the drive home (usually about four hours) because of the additional stops we made to make sure I walked about. I think the drive home was worse on my sister than me, as she tried to make sure my husband didn't hit any potholes, braked slowly and turned corners easily, so I wouldn't be jerked about in the back seat. I am no wonder-woman, but came home on X-strength Tylenol as my pain medication.

Unfortunately, my father-in-law passed away in spite of our vigils and his medical care. We came to understand that he, too, was in God's care, just not the way we were hoping it would turn out. I sat with him his last night, just the two of us. I wouldn't change that for the world. Now, the family takes care of my mother-in-laws needs. She is still an independent woman, just doesn't drive. She is in her eighties and works full time. Definitely an inspiration to us all.

This year, my husband got a new job four and a half hours drive from our home. I am on the road quite a bit, as mother lives an hour in the opposite direction. It has brought on new challenges for us all, but is working out thus far. Everyday is a new beginning for her life, our lives and yours, too. Take each day as it comes. If you don't feel like getting dressed and being a couch potato, do just that. Just don't let it get the better of you. My justification has been, "If you don't reach down and pull yourself up by your bootstraps, nobody else will." Friends, neighbors, church members and family can all help. You just have to want to live your life to the fullest, within HCM boundaries, but to the fullest.

Don't wait too long before rescheduling your surgery. Keep us updated on your progress.

Best Wishes, DorothyJerilyn wrote:

>

> I was scheduled to have a myectomy at the Cleveland Clinic

> last July and did not go through with it. I was in a car

> accident with my youngest daughter a few weeks before my

> scheduled surgery and we both ended up in the hospital. She

> never woke up and after 8 days died in ICU of head trama. She

> was 18 years old. I only spent one night in the hospital, as

> I was banged up and my heart rate was up to about 160 beats a

> minute, but physically I was OK.

> I had to cancel my surgery because I did not think I had the

> stamina to deal with any more trama. Nor could I ask my 20

> year daughter and my husband to go through any more stress. I

> have gone back to full-time work to try to return to normal

> and find myself feeling very tired along with the usual chest

> pressure.

> Recently, I have been wondering if I should consider having

> an ablation procedure when I am ready to deal with it. I

> recall my dad having by-pass surgery in the 1970's and he was

> emotionally very sensitive after the operation. He fought

> depression and would cry easily. Since I am already

> emotionally dealing with a parents worse nightmare, I wonder

> how if I can ever deal with the emotional side effects of a

> heart procedure.

> Can anyone tell me how they felt emotionally after the

> ablation procedure? After the myectomey? Thanks for any input

> you can provide.

> Jerilyn

Author: Dolly W (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-29-02 15:06

Jerilyn,

I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, and my condolences are with you and your family. However, I can tell you about my experience with surgery.

I am 39 yo, and just had a myectomy on Oct 15th of this year at the Mayo/St. Mary's in Minnesota. My experience was such a positive one, that crying and depression were not even a part of it. I was released five days after my procedure, and am recooperating well at home. My local cardiologist was so impressed with my progress that she is allowing me to go back to work Nov 12th (light duty of course)! She stated that she has never seen anyone do so well after surgery. I manage the achiness with Aleve during the day and save my pain medication for at night.

I know that everyone has different experiences with surgery/pain/depression, but I just wanted to let you know that there are some good experiences out there too!

All the Best to you and your family,

Dolly W
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X