If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart surgery 2.0

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

tripperthez Been dead, living as unapologeticly as possible now but, trying not to urinate in anyones Cheerios. Find out more about tripperthez
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart surgery 2.0

Sup Y'All,
    I have not really posted much since July when my health bottomed out. I went to see Dr. Ashley at Stanford Med in CA and we fixed it with some minor medicine changes ... sort of. I would feel good for a week or two and then start getting worse so, we would go to the next level and so on and so forth. Fast forward to now. Out of medicine to try. Saw Dr. Ashley last weekend and we are scheduling my myectomy at some point this week. Dr. Reitz will be in charge of the hack and slash. God has done some incredible things in my life these last few months. I am working with Jr. High students in the schools and at the facility where I meet for worship. I have been so busy I almost didn't notice I was getting sicker. I am exhausted all the time. I sleep 12 - 16 hours and still have to drag myself out of bed. I sit still too long and fall asleep. I can not hardly wait to feel alive again. On the other hand; I can totally wait to have my sternum sawed in half and my heart shaved down ... I mean "friggin ouch!". I am so torn between what to freak out about in all this. I am worried about how bad it is going to hurt. I am worried that, while the odds are definitely in my favor, my wife is too young and hot to be a widow ... I really am looking forward to growing old with her, she's my best friend. I know I am an excellent candidate for surgery so death is really not my most realistic worry but, it would be foolish to pretend my odds of dying on the table don't exist. I am not writing this to my wife (I know she will sneak in and read it though) thus I am allowed to have these thoughts out loud. I can't stand the look on her face when I slip and state something fatalistic to her. I am an optimist but, I am realistic as well. Oh forgot to mention: in 2003 I had an alcohol ablation and ICD implantation, thus the "surgery 2.0" thing. I keep thinking "how am I going to live these last weeks, just in case." and, if I have the energy, I don't wanna change a thing. My time with my family and my work with the youth are the things I most want to do. I have been living my life like I could die tomorrow but, it is scarier when one just might. I was told by Heidi (the nurse coordinator) to get back in the swing of posting here so, I am being a good patient but, I have to go to work now; the kids need me. Sorry I went away when I got feeling better and thus busy. I need to be a better contributor. Maybe this time I will build some better habits.
    Shalom,
    Michael
    Michael D. Strong
    aka Thez
    aka The HCM Pirate
    Diagnosed in 2002, Ablation and ICD in 3/03, myectomy on 11/12/08, currently on attenolol.

Re: Heart surgery 2.0

It's pretty rational to be worried about heart surgery.

You're right that your chance of dying isn't 0. But it's not all that large for a relatively young, otherwise healthy person.

Yes, it will hurt. But they're pretty good at pain management when you come out of surgery, and if my experience is at all typical, after a few days the pain isn't really that bad. I actually had to insist they stop giving me narcotics because I was having more problems from the drugs than from pain.

The other thing to worry about is how you'll feel otherwise during the recovery process. Experiences here vary -- probably depending on whether you have some complications. I had quite a few, and didn't enjoy them a bit, but all of them were things that the docs knew how to treat, and they did. Otherwise, I just felt weak, but of course that goes away with time too.

I know that saying "don't worry" isn't very useful -- of course you're worried. But it sounds like the surgery is the right choice for you, and you will feel a LOT better after you recover -- starting around 4-6 weeks after surgery.

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I hope you keep us posted as to your recovery process. I too, have gotten down to the last medicines available to take; which are working, but not as well as before and surgery has been discussed with me as a future option. I too, have a lot of the same thoughts about having my chest opened up and the pain afterwards, but reading so many who have gone through this it sounds like they feel much better afterwards; it's been so long I've forgotten what feeling normal feels like. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Pain is nothing compared to feeling better in the long run.
        Don't worry, It happens so fast & you really be "out of it" while in ICU so thats a blur. The 3-5 days in hospital, you'll be a bit sore, but its nothing compared to the results you will have. I'm 3 weeks post op & riding my bike 2 miles a day & walking a mile. Yeah - its sore, & sleep is a Bi%$#, but thanks for vicodin & some really plump pillows, I do OK. You will too.

Tell your wife, she's gonna have to wait to be a hot widow, so take care of herself.
        Marc
        Diagnosed @ 48
        Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
        Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
        AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
        After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
        Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Donna- 16yr old son dx'd with HCM in March 2008 - No family history.

Comment

I hope all goes well and listen to mbcube as he is a great example to follow. We are all scared of the might be stuff.
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and kind wishes. I think that looking forward to feeling good again is the best idea in there for me. I can almost feel it now ... I am honestly quite excited; I feel neurotic as the day is long with the mix of emotions I am experiencing. I hear y'all saying that I just need to keep my head, look out for the best parts and be realistic but, not totally wig about the bad. I still remember the bad parts of the ablation but, they are just fading memories now and this will be soon as well. Today I am at peace, however, I will feel much better (I think) once I know when it hits the fan (they were supposed to set a date Monday, then today or tomorrow - by this time tomorrow if I have no date I will be bouncing off the walls).
              It is funny how foolish I think I must be when I have moments of faith filled calm about it all. I guess that is because this is an unnatural state; no matter how right it really is to trust and worry not; for in all my worrying I can not change even the color of one hair on my head (lady clarol yes, worry o'matic, no). I digress.
              Much love to all,
              Michael D. Strong
              aka Thez
              aka The HCM Pirate
              Diagnosed in 2002, Ablation and ICD in 3/03, myectomy on 11/12/08, currently on attenolol.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X