If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD electro-magnetic fields

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD electro-magnetic fields

[ICD electro-magnetic fields]

Author: Leon (---.lncstr01.pa.comcast.net)

Date: 10-27-02 09:06

Hi everyone.

I have been reading up on ICD information since it looks like I may be getting. One of the pieces I read sas to stay away from high voltage powerlines. Another says that big stereo speakers can be a problem.

I live (and cut grass) with a powerline at the boarder of my yard. Any time I go out of my house I am within 20-50 feet of the path of the lines. Do I need to move?

I also play in a band. Just a small time band with a sound system etc. How close are they talking about when they say be careful of speakers?

Boy this is a mine field. I am very happy to know a lot of people have walked through all this before me. Any help on the questions would be much appreciated.

Leon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: ICD electro-magnetic fields]

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 10-27-02 10:16

Leon,

These are pretty good questions. I would contact the ICD maker and ask. I doubt the power lines would be that close since they are up in the air. As for speakers I am pretty certain you should not set them up. However, playing in a band is probably alright if you are not right next to the speakers.

I am definitely not an expert, so check with them.

Jerry

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-27-02 10:18

Dear Leon,

I would go to guidant.com and medtronic.com (the two big makers of ICDs) and see what they have to say.

I looked at zaplife.org's faq and they didn't mention anything about powerlines or amps or speakers.

(in a sing-song voice) Lisa, goddess of all knowledge, we need you!

Don't forget --never let airport security use a wand on you -no matter how ignorant or insistant they may be. The ICD maker will give you a little card to show the guards.

take care,

Sarah

Author: terri (65.43.126.---)

Date: 10-27-02 19:53

Hi---

My 12-year-old daughter who sings in children's choir and does a lot of musical performances got an ICD four weeks ago. She was told to stay an arm's length away from speakers of any kind.

We went to Minneapolis Heart Institute and they had someone come in before we left and give us all the information we needed. It's hard for a 12-year-old to deal with, but I personally think that as an adult the limitations aren't too great.

Good luck

Terri

[i work for an electric company]

Author: Ronnie (---.tnt1.columbus.ms.da.uu.net)

Date: 10-28-02 07:11

and power lines haven't given me any problems. I don't hang around them though. Just keep moving and you should be OK. I get nervous when I have to get near a big transformer station on the ground though. Take care.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X