If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Please

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please

[Help Please]

Author: Zlata Janicijevic (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 10-25-02 16:45

Hello everyone,

My name is Zlata. I am 27 y/o and currently attending Barry University Physician Assistant Progam in Miami, Florida. I will graduate as a Physician Assistant (Masters in Clinical and Medical Science) in December 2002.

My father was diagnosed with HCM with obstruction 3 years ago; he is 66 y/o. After many doctors' visits we cummulatively decided that ethanol ablation would be the best treatment option for him. He had the procedure 2 years ago now and feels much better even though he is still taking medication. In my eyes the procedure was a success because he is still with us today.

I have been reading your message board for a few months now and have found it both helpful and supportive. I want to thank all of you with all my heart. God Bless all of you.

There are two reasons why I am writing to all of you today. The first was to thank you and the second is to ask for your help.

One of the components of my education is to write a thesis paper. Since my father's diagnosis, I have had a longing to learn as much as I can about this condition and, since I am in the medical profession, to help educate my colleagues and patients. My goal is to work in cardiology/cardiovascular surgery. I hope to spread the word about the importance of screening, prevention, as well as treatments.

Accordingly, my thesis topic is HCM; specifically dealing with it's impact on our children. I have researched this topic intensly but I feel that I am lacking some important information. If anyone could lead me to the answers it would be much appreciated.

1. How many young adults pass away each year from HCM and how many are from sudden death episodes?

2. How many people (any age) pass away each year from HCM and how many are from sudden death episodes?

3. How many dealths occured during athletic participation?

4. How many young adults are diagnosed with HCM every year?

I want to appologise for the lack of sensitivity of these questions. I feel this is important information that will make my paper valid and grab people's attention to the severity of this condition.

I am hoping to have my paper published so to "spread the word" and let doctors and other physician assistant know how important it is to screen all children for this condition and to always have it in the back of thier mind.

If anyone has any questions for me about my intentions or goals please email me at [email protected].

Thank you again,

Zlata Janicijevic - Physician Assistant Student

P.S. I am sorry for the length of this message

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Help Please]

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-25-02 17:03

Dear Zlata,

Please don't apologize. Long posts are not a problem. I'm very glad you dad is doing well.

Please copy and paste your post into an e-mail to Lisa, our president, at [email protected] so she sees it right away. I'm sure she'll give you what statistics and help that she can and point you in the right direction for more research, etc.

Good luck with your thesis!

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 10-25-02 17:26

I will respond to you in an email this weekend.. I am in a rush now...but look forward to helping you!

Lisa

Author: Steve (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-25-02 19:53

Zlata,

You go girl!!!! This is great. Us HCM'res thank you for your effort.

Author: Leon (---.lncstr01.pa.comcast.net)

Date: 10-26-02 10:54

I too add my thanks to your great work. I would love to know what the answers to the questions you posed. If it appropriate could you please send me the answers Lisa sends to you?

Thanks,

Leon
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X