If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerry in Hospital

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry in Hospital

[Jerry in Hospital]

Author: Susan Jerry' s Wifi (---.stvincent.org)

Date: 10-24-02 11:16

Hi all

Yes Jerry is also back in the hospital but fluid on the lungs not the heart. We are told that this is also part of the open heart surgery side effects that may occur.

Jerry was admitted to St. Vincents 86th St. last night for fluid on the lungs. So I don't know how long he will have to stay I am hoping that it will only be a day or two. They have to drain the fluid off his lung and have it tested for infection which I don't think he has because he doesn't have a fever or a high white blood cell count.

We also still don't know if there is fluid around the heart. The CAT Scan didn't show any but they are going to do an echo just to make sure.

I will be updating the status page and will keep you posted.

TTFN

Susan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Jerry in Hospital]

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-24-02 11:48

Dear Susan,

1 step forward, 2 stesps back may be how it feels but hang in there. We are all thinking of you both and I'm told also that these things happen. No infection would be great --stay positive and keep us posted. Hopefully he'll be back home very soon.

take care and send Jerry big hugs and love from the board!

S

Author: Lynn S. (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)

Date: 10-24-02 12:37

Tim and I are sending our very best to you both, I know just how frustrating this is right now. Hang in there Jerry, you'll be back home soon!

Lynn and Tim

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 10-24-02 13:08

Jerry, get well soon!! Sorry to hear about the fluid biuld up in your lungs and hope you get back home real soon!

Lynn how are you??

best to all!

lisa

[Tired...but better!]

Date: 10-24-02 14:32

Hey Lisa,

I'm doing better but trying to catch up on sleep. I barely slept while I was in the hospital and now remember clearly what the beginning of sleep deprivation was like after my daughter was born...However, as for how the 'inside' of me feels minus the extra fluid pushing/compressing everything I can honestly say, I feel like a weight has been lifted!

Lynn

[Jerry in Hospital]

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 10-24-02 21:55

They took 1300cc's off of his right lung and the echo did show about 40cc's around his heart. We are now just wait to hear from the docs as to what our next step is. I think he will be having another chest xray to see if they got all the fluid and that we will need to wait for the results of the cultures on the fluid that may take as long as 3 days.

Other than all that Jerry is doing ok, he is walk the halls and not getting short of breath.

TTFN

Susan

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-25-02 08:08

Good news... glad to hear he is doing well.

send my best wishes!

Lisa

Lynn... get some sleep and then .... get back up and give em ****!

You'll be feeling well soon.

Lisa

Date: 10-25-02 15:40

Hi All,

I am glad to say that I am home. They really cannot say for sure what is wrong. I go back to the pulminologist next week heopfully for answers on what was in the fluid they took out.

I'm real tired but I do not seem to be breathing as heavy.

Jerry

P.S. Lynn, having the fluid on the lung was much much easier than the heart. All they did was stick a neddle in my back and let it drain. It was done with a local and took arouind 20 minutes.

Author: Elizabeth (---.fuse.net)

Date: 10-26-02 10:10

Hi Jerry,

Glad you're out of the hospital and feeling better. I hope this is it for you and that you just keep feeling better and better. Hang in there!

Elizabeth

Date: 10-26-02 23:39

Hey Jerry,

I was so relieved to see that you were home from the hospital and will keep you in my thoughts that your recovery from this point goes smoothly. What a crazy week we had...needless to say, I'm glad it's over.

All the best,

Lynn

Author: Amelia Haynes (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-27-02 14:20

Jerry, This is especially interesting to me because I, too, had excessive fluid build up following my surgery last October. I was retaining fluid in the hospital before release but they said it would be taken care of through excretion; that it was just fluid that had been pumped into my body as a surgery assist. Because of the extreme SOB I went to the ER before leaving Cleveland for home. Again I was told that the fluid they inject into the body was causing the trouble, gave me an injection of lasix and let me return to the hotel. I could not lie down and sleep was just not possible. The morning after we arrived home we called my local cardiologist who ordered emergency transportation to the hospital and the drainage process was begun. I remained in the hospital for two weeks while they slowly took off more than 20 lbs. The small amount that clung on around my heart was finally insignificant and I was released. This is all behind me now but I continue to wonder just why and how it got to this point.

Date: 10-28-02 00:11

Amelia,

Ouch, 20 lbs in that short of a time period? I am hoping I do not have to go back, but I am not feeling fantastic. I go back to the Pulmonologist next Friday.

Jerry

Author: Amelia Haynes (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-28-02 08:36

Well it took them two weeks to do it but as the fluid level went down I began to feel better. It was wonderful to be able to lie back and breath. I am so sorry you are having the problem. Hang in.

Author: Dawn (---.cl.ri.cox.net)

Date: 10-30-02 14:39

Jerry and Lynn,

Sorry to hear about the set backs and happy to see that you're doing better. Hang in there and do what you need to do to get better and back to 'normal' life! Mom's doing great! And it's a good thing, she refuses to see a doctor again. Too big of a phobia to get over.

Dawn
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X