If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel

[Travel]

Author: Mary S. (---.net306.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 10-22-02 23:16

Hello everyone! I am scheduled to get my ICD implanted on November first. I am quite a bit nervous since I will be doing this pretty much alone. I guess it would be nice to have real family once in awhile. But my family at Disney sure does make it easier. I have been having a real hard time lately doing school full time and work full time with trips to the doctor in between. My financial situation is not too good right now and it is having its effects. My co-workers actually loaned me the money to get the airline ticket. Unfortunatly the prices went up before I could get the ticket.

Does any one know how I can go about getting the medical discount for airlines. I know Sarah had mentioned that earlier but I am not sure how to go about doing it. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Mary s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Travel]

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-23-02 00:00

Dear Mary,

Call the airline you want to fly and tell them your situation. If the front line person says they can't help you, ask for a supervisor. Tell them you can get a letter from your doctor if they want documentation about your surgery. Be super super nice to everyone you talk to and tell them that you are going to the Cleveland Clinic.

You can also try it on the other end and call the Cleveland Clinic first and see if they have any arrangements with a particular carrier or have any other tips for you, too.

Worst case scenario, you can try cheaptickets.com, priceline.com (you choose the price and they choose the time/day within ranges), and there is one other priceline-like place I can't remember the name of right now, but will try to think of.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Sarah

Author: Edlyn (---.tstonramp.com)

Date: 10-23-02 01:22

Dear Mary:

Check with the airlines if they might know of charitable organizations that are allowed to receive airline mileage donations. Perhaps you might qualify for assistance to receive donated mileage. Placing a notice in your local paper might also connect you with someone willing to donate mileage they are not going to use for a good cause. Most newspapers have a box number you can use to receive replies to protect your privacy.

Good luck, be persistant and creative (opportunities often come from the least suspected areas)!

Edlyn

Author: Karla (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-23-02 08:37

Mary -

Are you headed to Cleveland? We found a great rate with Southwest - for $147 round trip from Orlando.

Check out Southwest.com - their listed fares were even better than cheaptickets or all the others.

Good luck to you -

Karla

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-23-02 08:45

Mary - If you need anything while you are in Boston let me know. I have some friends there that may be able to help you out....also I know the team will be taking extra special care of you!

Lisa

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 10-23-02 10:04

Mary,

Try http://www.hotwire.com They have really good rates. Usually cheaper than Yahoo travel, cheaptickets, etc. Just a thought.

Reenie

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-23-02 13:20

R

YES. Hotwire was the other site I was looking at. And yes, American Airlines has a program where you can donate your miles to people in need, so call them (aa.com) to see what the guidelines are to be a donee (as opposed to a donor).

I flew Southwest this past weekend and I know somone only paid 80 bucks to go from Inianapolis to Kansas City, so do check them!!

Good luck

Sarah

Author: Robert Hartwell (144.195.62.---)

Date: 10-23-02 16:43

Believe it or not, United has some extremely cheap fares right now. I booked my tickets to Cleveland round trip from Chicago for $74. It pays to shop around.

Bob

Author: Mary S (---.net163.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 10-23-02 22:06

Thanks everyone for your help! I have been to all of those websites and to no avail. I am actually going to Boston do they have the same access as Cleveland? I will give a few calls tomorrow.

Mary S.

Date: 10-24-02 09:02

If you began with Boston it is best to follow up there otherwise you may have to redo some tests and wait a while for a 1st appointment...

But yes they can do it at Cleveland.

lisa

Author: Mary S (---.net299.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 10-24-02 19:26

I was talking about travel accomodations I am sticking with Boston. No doubts there I loved the team up there!

Mary S.

Date: 10-24-02 20:08

Opps sorry kiddo...

I would suggest the train...but they just posted a warning on trains for this week!

When are people gonna grow up?

While I am on my soap box... You know these people who kill in the name of change, equality, justice or G-d.... let them walk in our shoes for a day and they will see the wonders of life and how much we are all the same and how foolish they are. I am now stepping off the soap box

mary - -did you call Tanya and ask if TUFTS has a travel dept that can help?

Take care...sorry for venting!

Lisa

Author: Bryan Lombardo (---.bos.east.verizon.net)

Date: 10-24-02 20:28

Mary when would you be leaving and when would you be returning? If you need anything dont be scared to ask. Im about 45 miles west of Boston, and im willing to help with anything you might need.

Author: Mary S (---.net157.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 10-24-02 21:32

I'm leaving out on Thursday October 31 and Leaving November 4. Luckily my friend at work has family in Boston and they have been kind enough to help me during this time! I did find a round trip ticket for about $200 which is not to bad.

I may take you up on your offer however. Thank you so very much. my cell is 3219470262 I can be reached anytime there!

Mary S.

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 10-25-02 14:54

Mary - best of luck in Boston... If you need me call...Marty has my home numbers if you need it use it!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X