[HCM & the mind inquiry and false information provided that HCM is a male inherited condition!]

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 10-21-02 19:30

Does HCM also affect the mind? I find that the more my father experiences the physical burdens of his HOCM, the more his mind is starting to go! He is becoming difficult to be around. It appears that he is displacing his physical condition on the rest of my family through guilt trips and temper tantrums! The more incapacitated he becomes physically -- the younger he is acting mentally. I am just wondering if any of you experience this within yourself or with your loved ones! I am praying that he will improve mentally after his ablation. I can't help but wonder what he will be like if the procedure doesn't work for him the first time around (G-d forbid!) We are having a tough time walking on eggshells. I hate to make a joke out of this ... but do they prescribe combination therapy for HCM? Something that controls his heart condition and also combats his depression with this disease?

Aunt Linda ... is this an atypical or typical trait that runs in the Stolzenberg family? Also, I assure you that your doctor was incorrect today! HCM is NOT A MALE INHERITED CONDITION! So untrue! Here are the facts:

*HCM affects both men and women of all ages. The majority of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy cases are inherited. Because of this, a patient's family members should be checked for signs of HCM, although the signs may be much less evident or even absent. In other cases, there is no clear cause. In some individuals, the first and only manifestation of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is sudden death.*

At any rate, I am thrilled that your primary doctor is still sending you for an echo! Phew! Now if you wrote me that he/she was a cardiologist then I would be real worried! I hope someone will chime in!

~ Worried daughter and loving niece! EBS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: HCM & the mind inquiry and false information provided that HCM is a male inherited condition!]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-21-02 20:22

Erica and Aunt Linda (and the rest!)

The old thoughts may had been at one time long long ago that HCM was a male disease...that is far from true...this is written from a woman with HCM! FYI the membership of the HCMA is nearly 50/50 male to female affected people...While it is true more young men die on the playing field then woman it does not mean that the disease is any more or less common in one sex vs the other.

It is true that more African Americans die of HCM on the playing field (over 50% of the deaths!) then whites yet African Americans only represent approximately 10% of the HCM popluation. Why? we are not sure...just an example of how facts and figures can be misleading.

RE the mental status of your dad...give it time he has a great deal to process, if he is depressed the doctor can suggest medication...however in my experience time will heal a great deal...GIVE him space and get him to a good doctor, it will make a big difference.

Oh one more thing...Erica...take a deep breath and relax a little...it seems like your taking on a great deal so fast...Your efforts are very welcomed!..but please do not burn yourself out!

All the best,

Lisa

[Re: HCM & the mind inquiry and false information provided that HCM is a male inherited condition!]

Author: Linda (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 10-22-02 19:17

Erica, Lisa is right about giving your Dad space. The pressure is really on right now, wondering what is going to happen, what will the next doc say, etc. These behaviors typically surface around our house before a big checkup. The whole situation is harder to ignore at those times. After a particularly bad run of hospitalizations, and back in yet another time, one of the nurses said, "He was really nasty to you and your husband." I agreed but reminded her that he had every right to be angry, and I knew he was dealing with it in the best way he could at the time. I know what his underlying personality is like, and like it or not, this is the side that shows when the pressure is on. When things improve and there is less uncertainty about the future plans, things get back closer to the same old pleasing personality. Remember too, that you also are under a lot of stress and may be a little more sensitive at times too. There are so many arrangements to be made when you have to travel, even if it's only one nite. Hope this helps, just to know others have a similar problem. Take care and best wishes. Linda

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-22-02 19:23

Linda - thanks for the input and your experience with a similar situation!

Lisa

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 10-22-02 19:55

Thanks!