If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ablation

[Ablation]

Author: Bruce (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 10-21-02 19:25

Is there more than one type of ablation? I've heard about a procedure that just focuses in on the area of the heart that is causing the electrical problem. Is this septal ablation or does it have another name?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Ablation]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-21-02 20:23

You may be refering to a radio frequency ablation, or an ablation of the AV node. What are your symptoms? or is this just a general question.

Lisa

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-21-02 20:40

Dear Bruce,

Yes, there are 2 different types.

Radio-frequency ablation or AV node ablation is for rhythm problems and it kills a tiny piece of the heart so the electrical signals don't go the wrong way.Usually people who get this done can then stop taking most or all of their anti-arrhythmia medications. This does NOT work for every kind of rhythm problems.

Alcohol septal ablation injects a tiny amount of ethanol into the septum which kills that part and it melts away. This is done when the septal wall is blocking the mitral valve.

S

Author: Bruce (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 10-21-02 21:45

Lisa and Sarah thanks for your quick and informative response.After reading some of the ablation posts I realized that there were more than one ablation. Now I know it's an AV node ablation that I'd like to research.

My story: I have an ICD and am taking 400mg Amiodarone. My EP and my Cardiologist (they've treated my HCM for ~18yrs) have suggested an EP study to determine if my ICD pacing can be adjusted to help prevent a recent rash of events because they don't want to increase the Amio. They have been trying to decrease the Amio back to 200mg but then the events start increasing. If the ICD adjustment doesn't work, they are talking about an AV node ablation as the next step. I'd just like to do a little research on this procedure before we get that far.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-21-02 22:13

Dear Bruce,

If you are not already at one of the Big 5 HCM centers, I highly recommend getting checked out by them so that you are examing all of your options. You would also want any ablations to be done by someone who could do it in their sleep.

Please call the office at 973-083-7429 to get contact info/suggestions for the referral.

take care

S

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-22-02 12:42

Bruce I could not agree with Sarah more on this one...400mg is rather high and I would want someone who is really good with HCM looking at your case...

please be careful and let us know how we can help.

Lisa

Author: ROBERT MITCHELL (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-28-02 16:53

I AM CONSIDERING OPTIONS AT DUKE TO TREAT HCM........HAS ANYONE HAD ALCOHOL ABLATION THAT CAN REPORT RESULTS TO ME............THANKS

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 10-28-02 18:08

Hi Robert! I live in Durham and my father resides in Cary ... he is going to the MUSC in SC so see Dr. Spencer. He isn't going to Duke because they have not done many ablations there and it is recommended to have it performed by someone who has done MANY! Please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] as I have my current articles published on the procedure, etc!

I could fax them to you! Do you live in our area? I look forward to your reply!

~ Erica
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X