If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lynn Stewart: back in hospital via ER

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynn Stewart: back in hospital via ER

[Lynn Stewart: back in hospital via ER]

Author: Tim Stewart (---.lexis-nexis.com)

Date: 10-20-02 16:52

Quick update on Lynn Stewart … I took my wife to the ER last night (Saturday night) about 1:00 am as she was complaining of side pains and pain while inhaling. The local ER did a number of test and compared there results with the records faxed down from Cleveland Clinic and initially found nothing wrong. Then a Cat Scan indicated a severe Pericardial Effusion (build up of fluid around the heart). She was immediately admitted and scheduled for immediate surgery to relieve the fluid - a procedure the local surgeon called a Pericardial Window. This required a new incision to be made and a tube inserted to drain the fluid. Dr. Smediera (from Cleveland Clinic) was on call last night and was willing to care-flight her up to Cleveland from Dayton but later realized that it may be too risky so the decision was made to do the procedure in Dayton. The procedure took about 25 minutes under general anesthetic. About 40 oz was quickly removed and the tube will remain in place for a few days to drain any remaining fluid. She was awake and alert about 45 minutes after the procedure and is currently in the CICU and will not be moved to a "normal" room until she is stable. The doctor predicts a few days of recovery before being released.

I will update The Status page and enter more here when I get time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Lynn Stewart: back in hospital via ER]

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 10-20-02 16:59

Dear Tim,

I wish for your wife, Lynn, a speedy and full recocery! Thanks the update and know that you and Lynn are in my thoughts and prayers!

~ Erica

Author: Tim Stewart (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)

Date: 10-20-02 17:05

Go to

http://www.kaylastewart.com/hcm/

for information on how to access The Status page.

Thanks, Tim

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 10-20-02 19:09

Tim,

Wow! Glad to hear that it sounds like Lynn should be ok. Please update with any news.

Jerry

Author: Sue Harry (---.215.218.33.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)

Date: 10-20-02 21:17

Dear Tim,

I am so sorry Lynn had this problem develop! I am glad she got immediate care and is recovering. I know these things can develop post-op even when you feel you are doing well.

I am 3 weeks post op developed some problems breathing early last week, had an x-ray and was told I have a pleural effusion. There is some build up of fluid between my lung and chest wall on the lower left side. I am trying some medical management of this right now but may need to go into the hospital to have it drained if I am not better in a day or two. My situation is much simpler than Lynn's and won't require surgery - just a procedure to drain the fluid.

Keep us informed on her progress. You will be in our prayers.

Sue

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-21-02 08:42

Tim,

I am glad you both listened to her symptoms and got prompt care. While I am sure you would have liked to be in Cleveland, the procedure she went through is rather common and I am sure she was in great hands. My thoughts and prayers are with you both and I am sorry to hear you had to endure a stumble on the road to recovery.

We are all here for you!

Best to all!

Lisa

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.treas.gov)

Date: 10-21-02 13:45

I checked the status.com page and Lynn has been transferred to a regular room. Hopefully this means things are going good. Tim mentions on the status page that he does not have interent access at the hospital so he cannot easily send updates.

Jerry

Author: Dolly (Andrew's mom) (---.pressenter.com)

Date: 10-21-02 16:54

Wishing a speedy recovery for Lynn! Being moved to a "regular" room sounds very promising! Hopefully she will be out of there very soon.

Dolly

Date: 10-21-02 20:31

Hey Lynn and Tim how are you both doing??? I hope all is well and you are healing well from this 2nd round! Lynn when you get back home and are feeling up to it call me. Tim I need to talk to you too about the website stuff... NOTHING important...when you have time...Rule one take care of Lynn and give her a big hug from us all!

Lisa

Author: Kay Ruth (---.as0.wlgh.oh.voyager.net)

Date: 10-21-02 20:38

Tim

Sorry to hear about Lynns setback My huband also went through this they drained his lung and pericardium. He spent four days in CICU.They had had him on blood thinners to do a cardioversion then had to give him 11 pts of plasma to thicken it back up before they could drain him .After that he felt so much better and is finally feeling close to normal,and he had his surgery May 22 I hope they checked to make sure Lynn is not in A-fib. Hope everything is going well and she will be home soon,and feeling much better . Kay

[Re: Lynn Stewart: doing much better!]

Date: 10-21-02 21:51

Lynn is doing great! She is getting up to walk and seems to have more energy now than last week even though she is recovering from surgery. The drainage tube is still in place but most of the drainage seems to have stopped. She has been in contact with Dr. Lever and he is helping to manage her health from Cleveland so I know that she is being well taken care of. I will be returning to work tomorrow but will visit at lunch and at dinner time.

My parents brought Kayla (our two year old) to visit this evening and it did wonders to her spirit! They both were very glad to see each other. There has been no word on when she will be released but I figure it should be soon as she is doing so well. She can already feel a huge difference and is breathing much better.

Thanks to everyone for your continued concern!

[Re: Lynn Stewart: doing much better!]

Author: Elizabeth (---.fuse.net)

Date: 10-22-02 10:21

Lynn and Tim,

So glad to hear that Lynn is doing better! Hang in there, we are all rooting for your speedy recovery.

Elizabeth

[Re: Lynn Stewart: Released!]

Date: 10-23-02 13:58

Just left the hospital and it sounds like she will be released today! They pulled her chest tube at lunchtime and she is resting now. She wants to take a shower and then hopefully go home! I will post more as soon as she is home!

Thanks, Tim

Author: Robert Hartwell (144.195.62.---)

Date: 10-23-02 17:04

Tim,

This is great news. Give my best to Lynn.

Bob

Date: 10-24-02 09:00

Lynn - Hope your feeling well!!! I have been thinking about you and sending good wishes your way!

Lisa

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-24-02 12:24

YEA!! LYN.

Thanks for the good news and keep us posted ---Lynn --no more of this hospital nonesense, all right? ; )

Big hugs,

Sarah
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X