If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Show- Presidio?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Show- Presidio?

[TV Show- Presidio?]

Author: Chris Brown (209.77.217.---)

Date: 10-18-02 13:08

Hi ALL.

Did anyone see the new Hospital show the Presedio?, ON Wed. nights.

One plot was about a ICD being implanted. And another was about a pregnant women who had a cardiopyopathy. 2 subjects in one show, The WORD is getting out.

Any opinions on the Doctor of the show testing the threshold of the ICD? They let his rate get so low they had trouble converting him. I don't have a ICD, just a pacer.

Is this what they do when they put ICD's in?

Thanks

Chris Brown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: TV Show- Presidio?]

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 10-18-02 14:17

Chris I did not see it... I will check around to see if anyone taped it and let you know.

Lisa

Author: Matt (---.disney.com)

Date: 10-18-02 14:27

There was also an episode of Ally McBeal last season where a plot was about a young girl who had end-stage HCM. She needed a transplant and her father, in prison for life for murdering her mother, wanted to donate his heart to her.

Author: Glen (65.247.42.---)

Date: 10-18-02 16:11

Believe it or not, it actually showed up on Becker one night, except they referred to under the old name IHSS. (Idiopathic Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis).

A funny story about the old name.

About 20 years ago when they still referred to it as IHSS I was applying for life insurance and you have to fill out a medical history form. Naturally when it said any heart condition I wrote down that name.

The insurance agent broke out in a sweat and said I would have to go see their doctor for a complete medical.

I went to their doctor and when he asked what I had, I told him, naturally he had no idea what I was talking about.

I guess he didn't want look too stupid so he asked me if it was serious and I said no and he gave me my medical clearance to be insured.

Sometimes it's better if the doctor is ignorant about HCM.

Glen

Author: Janis (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-18-02 18:13

I watched the show Wednesday night but I do not have a ICD. Yet!!!!! It scared the heck out of me. I hope real life isn,t quite as bad.

Janis

Author: Chris Brown (209.77.217.---)

Date: 10-18-02 18:21

I was wondering if I was the only one that this show had a effect on.I have a Pacer no ICD yet, I know when they test the Pacer at the low limits it can get a little scary. I thought the Doctor on the show was ridicolous. Thanks Janis

Chris

Author: janet (---.kc.rr.com)

Date: 10-18-02 20:36

I haven't seen the show, but any lawyer can tell yout that no legal show ever gets everything (or sometimes anything) right. Take it with a grain of salt.

S

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-18-02 21:07

OK - I have not seen it but I will say this - based on your comments they must have been very "DRAMATIC" in the way they portrayed the IDC implant. Hey guys remember a few things...

1. TV shows are not looking for 'boring old plots"

2. THEY ARE ACTORS who have no clue that they are really dealing with.

and on the other side...if you get an ICD - There are risks, it is not a 'simple' procedure. ALSO -Doctors want you to LIVE and will do everything in their power to make sure you do! Oh and as for the pain part...YOUR ASLEEP - and feel little if anything. I can say this pretty honestly as I have had 1 pacer implant and 2 ICD's. The only drama in any of them was when I had my 2nd ICD they were unable to find a vein for the IV to get the meds in me to get me all the way "out" (my veins are very very small!)..they were attempting to put the IV in my neck while I was awake - I did have a reg IV in my hand which I informed them was big enough for them to give me enough to get me to la la land so I would not know what the heck was going on...or I was leaving

Well they bought my bluff and gave me enough to put me in la la land...woke up 2 hours later with an IV in my neck and a new ICD!

No problem... although I think Dr Coyne (Morristown Memorial NJ) was going to hit me when I started to explain I want the IV my way or no way...but I think he still loves me!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Lisa

Author: Bryan Lombardo (---.bos.east.verizon.net)

Date: 10-18-02 21:24

Just make sure when you awake they dont give you pain killers on an empty stomach... not so nice

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-19-02 13:34

Bryan...ditto or should I say ;-(

lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X