[Minerals-ELectrolytes-Etc]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-16-02 14:17

Hi,

I wanted to post this since there has been a lot of conversation lately about nutrition and supplements.

Calcium, potassium, magnesium and sodium are the electrolytes that are key to heart function. (see howthingswork.com for more info on electrolytes).

PLEASE NOTE: Having low electrolytes is JUST as dangerous as too high. Do NOT inhale large quantities of supplements thinking that more is better. It is not. Balance is key. Your body needs only the RIGHT AMOUNT of these mineral salts.

There are some people who only need more magnesium or potassium to alleviate cardiac palpitations. However, this is fairly rare. Having enough electrolytes will help youir medications help you.

You can ask your doctor for levels on all of these (at least potassium and magnesium, I not 100% on the other two). If you have a deficiency, they can recommend how much to take in supplements.

However, it is always best to EAT your nutrients. Bananas, fish, nuts, seeds, dark green veggies are all good sources of potassium and magnesium. You can find complete lists of what is in what in various foods all over the net.

I take magnesium supplements because I have a documented deficiency. I do feel much better when I take them.

This all begs the question "How much is enough and how do you know?" Well, off the top of my head I don't have stats on what the normal ranges are. However, eating a balanced diet is step one, eating more fruit and green veggies is step two and the occaisional bottle of Smart water or vitamin water is probably ok, but clear any supplements or big multivitamins with your doctor.

Eat smart, be smart.

sarah

PS Just so you know I'm not holier than thou, I take my magnesium and eat right as often as I can but right now I'm on my way to go get eggs and chicken sausage and pancakes. If the Pancake House were closed, or if they are out of the chicken sausage, it would be bacon all the way!! (my cholesterol is perfect, though).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Minerals-ELectrolytes-Etc]

Author: Steve (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-17-02 08:38

Quick note:

For persons on blood thiners (coumidin/warifin) dark green veggies are high in vitamin K and can cause problems with INR, so my cardiologist tells me. Check with doctor. I too am on potassium and magnesium to help with A-Fib.

Steve

Date: 10-17-02 09:18

Dear Steve,

Ah yes, this is why all such things need to be run past the doctor.

I AM on coumadin (warfarin) myself and I even forgot to mention that small but very very important fact. You are absolutely right and I'm reading this after I just took an extra dose of my coumadin to counteract the effects of drinking a giant glass of liquid seaweed/greens. Ya gotta get your greens, but not at the cost of a stroke.

Steve, are you on amiodarone? How are you doing re: afib.

Oh, FYI, Pancake House was closed after all by the time I got there, so I had French toast, bacon and sausage and eggs --which is why I'm having seaweed for breakfast.

You can also get lists of what foods have how much vitamin k on the net and from your doctors office.

Sarah

Author: Steve (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-17-02 13:34

Sarah,

No I'm not on amiodarone. My EP doc prefers not to use it on his younger patients, I'm 44. I tried, but didn't make the time line, for the clinical study for the less side effect new drug Dronedarone. It is like amiodrone without the side effects. It's been used in Europe and is gong through the FDA paces here in US. I have a dual lead pacemaker and have had an AV noid ablation. That has made my a-fib bareable. It still goes on but pulse rate stays in control. Personally I'm still looking for that next best thing out there. I haven't worked or done much for the last three years. The pacemaker and AV noid ablation have greatly improved my quality of life, but I'm greedy and always want to be able to do more!!!

Sarah, thanks for your devotion to this site. I'm one of those, at least daily, visitors to this message board. And also, a shout out of thanks to Lisa for her ongoing dedication and all whom participate in this wonderful information and comunication machine. Love ya all, Steve

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-17-02 13:53

Thanks Steve! Good to know that the treatment options you have choosen have improved your life...lets hope for more good things from our researchers that will further improve life for us all!

Hint hint to all those docs out there reading this...get back to work! ha ha

best to all!

Lisa

Date: 10-17-02 14:41

Dear Steve,

I'm 33 and about to start amio. I'm not a candidate for ablation b/c my rate is well controled by beta-blockers. I'm very aware of the dangers of amio and I'm hoping it will be a placeholder till something better --like that new drug--comes along.

take care,

S

PS you are welcome!

Author: Erica (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 10-17-02 15:24

Sara ... I resent my email last evening! Also, I received a reply from Lisa today.

: ) Is it Friday yet? ~ Erica