If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Cousin

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Cousin

[My Cousin]

Author: Heather I. (65.247.157.---)

Date: 10-12-02 15:36

Well, I got a call yesterday that my cousin had passed away. She is the one who had a transplant done at 21. She was 37 now. So, she had 16 good years after her transplant. She was my dad's brother's daughter. He is the one who died suddenly at the age of 24 from HCM. We really haven't kept in touch with my cousin since she moved away after her transplant. They are going to be having her services in our hometown on Tues. So, we will attend and I will be able to visit with her son, who is now 21, and also has HCM. I've always thought about calling her and talking with her about her HCM and the symptoms she had before her transplant.....and just never got around to it.......now, it's too late. The cause of her death was pneumonia. She has been in the hospital the whole week and just couldn't hang on anymore and passed on Thurs. morning.......I am sad for her and her family she lived with and it also scares me in the same sense, as now I am the only one left besides her son.......I hate this horrid disease.......

Heather, 29-HCM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: My Cousin]

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 10-12-02 16:15

In Deepest Sympathy.

Erica : )

Author: Lynn S. (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)

Date: 10-12-02 16:34

Sending you my sincerest sympathies and prayers.

Lynn

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-12-02 22:20

Dear Heather,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please encourage her son to take a look at the web site when he is up to it.

I know how it feels to mean to reconnect with someone and then have it be too late. At my father's memorial service, I asked everyone to go home that night and call someone they hadn't talked to in a long time.

in sympathy,

sarah

Author: Amy Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-13-02 16:32

Dear Heather,

I'm so sorry about your cousin. I lost my mother in May after a failed transplant. The hardest part for me is the things that I never got a chance to say to her...the things I never had a chance to ask her. It's unbelievable painful. Death sucks!

Amy

Author: Dolly (Andrew's mom) (---.pressenter.com)

Date: 10-13-02 16:38

Heather,

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. My sympathies to your family.

Dolly (Andrew's mom)

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-13-02 20:46

Heather -

God Bless your cousin - -and God did bless her for 16 years with the heart of a caring loving stranger- -

Heather I too know what it is like to look around and see your family leaving you... At one point you can say "we have HCM" and when the we gets smaller, it becomes more real that we have no control and that the we may become a smaller number... but always know you have all of us to share your thoughts and fears with.

I am sorry for your loss and hope you find some comfort in knowing she had 16 years thanks to a donor.

As a reminder -- -- 2 of the most special people in my life were involved with organ donation - my sister Lori was a donor (2 kindneys and a liver) and Carolyn Biro a heart recipient. Please remember to share your thoughts about organ donation with your family, just because you have HCM does not mean you can not be a donor (No noone will want your heart...but there is more then that to offer)

My thoughts are with you Heather.

Lisa

Author: Amelia Haynes (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-13-02 22:49

Heather, I am so sorry! Just when it seems that we have tackled a job and have everything under control, wham, another setback comes along. You must remember that the medical community was able to give your cousin an extention on life and considering all that was not known in the past we can appreciate that. You are one of the lucky ones to be on the receiving end of this gained knowledge. Remember this as you travel to Mayo. I am sure you have fond memories to cling to and as the years pass memories become even more dear.

Date: 10-14-02 10:35

Amy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother........May...wasn't that long ago. How are you doing? What happened? Rejection? Sorry again.......Thanks for your msg.

Heather

Date: 10-14-02 10:39

Thanks for your msg. Lisa. It is so nice to have this forum. My family is very aware of how I feel about organ donation and we are all potential "donors". I didn't realize until recently that even if you have "donor" stamped on your driver's license, your family still has to okay it.........So, we are all very open about it.

Heather

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-14-02 12:40

Great news Heather..but lets all try to keep our own organs to ourselves if we can It is so important to tell your family - fact is if your gone you can not sue the doctors/hospital that took your organs...but your family can...share your feelings and tell everyone how you feel about the importance of organ donation.

If we can not use them while we are here...may as well let someone else have a shot!

Heather - I am glad your on the board and again...sorry for your loss.

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X