If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming Surgery at CCF

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Surgery at CCF

[Upcoming Surgery at CCF]

Author: Robert Hartwell (---.focal2.interaccess.com)

Date: 10-11-02 01:30

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum finding it for the first time tonight. I was diagnosed with HOCM in 1999 and have been on drug therapy since. Recently, my condition has gotten worse and my cardiologist recommended that I go see Dr. Harry Lever at CCF. I have just returned from CCF today with surgery scheduled for November 4, 2002 with Dr Bruce Lyttle.

Reading many of the posts have help me alot in overcoming my nervousness about the upcoming surgery. I know that another gentleman on this forum is scheduled for Nov 11. I believe everything you have said about CCF and I have not yet had my surgery! The one day I was there was most impressive.

Any advice any of you can provide would be most appreciated. Has anyone dealt with Dr. Lyttle for the surgery part? In the upcoming weeks (3 and counting) I will be reading this board more and more. After I get home, I will let everyone know what my experiences were.

Still a bit nervous in Chicago,

Robert Hartwell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Upcoming Surgery at CCF]

Author: Elizabeth (---.fuse.net)

Date: 10-11-02 08:38

Dear Robert,

Good luck and keep us posted with your recovery. As a member of the CCF Myectomy club (see earlier thread) I can only say that you will be in the best hands and receive the best care. Nerves, yes, but have faith-they really take care of us up there!

Elizabeth

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 10-11-02 09:48

Robert,

Dr. Lyttle is the "other" surgeon who does myectomies at CCF. When I was there in June, the comment from Dr. Asher was that it would be either Dr. Smedira or Dr. Lyttle. I know that currently it seems that Dr. Smedira has been doing the myectomies posted here, but I believe Dr. Lyttle has been doing it longer. Either way your in fantastic hands.

Good Luck

Jerry

myectomy 8/27/02 Dr. Smedira

Author: Robert Hartwell (144.195.62.---)

Date: 10-11-02 09:55

Thanks guys, your comments really help. This is such a big step. I was expecting them to tell me that they could not schedule me until the beginning of next year. You can imagine my supprise when there was an opening on November 4th.

Bob

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 10-11-02 09:57

Robert,

I haven't been to CCF, but I know it's a wonderful place. I am sure you will get quality care. And on another point of interest, our board moderator Sarah is in Chicago also. Now you know you *truly* aren't alone there in the windy city.

Reenie

Author: john jordan (---.public.lawson.webtv.net)

Date: 10-11-02 12:39

hi robert, i had myectomy by dr. smedira who has been doing many of them lately. dr. lyttle from what i heard is great also. my roommate had him as bypass surgeon and he and his wife were very pleased with him. the two surgeons are experts in myectomy and dr. asher and dr. lever are the best. i had dr.asher and was most pleased with him as well as dr. smedira and all their associates and the nursing and support staff. CCF is the greatest and im grateful for their surgery this past july15th. if u need more info please feel free to email me. as u can see there are a lot of pleased alumni of CCF myectomy group. good luck, john

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-11-02 15:57

Hi

You are definitely in good hands. Please review the older posts on the board about myectomy and the CMC (cleveland myectomy crew) for more info on both.

keep us posted!!

Sarah

Author: Judy (12.144.36.---)

Date: 10-11-02 16:37

Robert,

Well, you are the first person that I have seen post that Dr. Lytle was doing their myectomy. He did mine in 1999. I thought that he was a very interesting person and a fantastic surgeon. The woman that shared my room (right after my myectomy) was also a patient of Dr. Lytle. She was from Michigan and her doctors there told her that there was nothing more that they could do for her. Her neighbor was a doctor and he suggested that she contact CCF. Dr. Lytle took a look at her records and said he would do her surgery. The last I saw her, she was recovering well. I was very nervous about the surgery, but I am very glad that I had it done. My first visit to Dr. Lever was almost surreal. Finally, a doctor that knew exactly what I was going through!! Anyway, my quality of life is outstanding now. I have a husband, two children, a part-time job and I am always busy doing something. I enjoy every minute of it. If you'd like to ask any questions, feel free to email me directly.

Judy

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-13-02 21:18

Robert,

You have hit the right place for support, there are alot of people here who have "been there" and I know they are all going to be there for you to provide information along the way!

Best wishes,

Lisa Salberg

Author: Robert Hartwell (---.focal8.interaccess.com)

Date: 10-14-02 00:18

Thanks all of you! Your support has really calmed my fears and made me look forward to feeling better than I do today. My family and I are in the process of making plans. The week of Halloween they are doing cardiac cath and I talk with Dr. Lytle. I will return home for 4 days and then return to CCF the evening before the day of the surgery.

Bob

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-14-02 02:59

Dear Bob,

I know I speak for all of us when I say we are glad to be here for you!

Keep us posted,

Sarah

Author: john jordan (---.public.lawson.webtv.net)

Date: 10-14-02 11:28

hi robert, a little hint, i enjoyed the best inns a few miles away from hospital, it has shuttle to ccf and the night before surgery i stayed at the ccf guesthouse inn and it was convenient to be at ccf at 5am. the guesthouse was more expensive and u could get weekly rate at the best inn ccf rate. maybe u have it all arranged but thats what worked for my family. good luck, john

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-14-02 12:51

Hey if you all think the message board is a great form of support...wait until you attend a meeting! June 6-8 It is really something to be in a room filled with HCM'ers!

Thanks to all for be so supportive our our new firends!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X