If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Regressed!!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Eileen2345 Find out more about Eileen2345
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Regressed!!!

I REGRESSED!! WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!

I am losing my disability, so I called my cardiologist and spoke with his nurse. She said that back in June, my echo came back completely normal.

Over the phone she said the report stated;

"The Septal Myectomy surgery done at the Cleveland Clinic was EXTREMELY successful.

Underlying rhythm is sinus.

The aoric root diameter and motion are normal.

Hypertophy of left ventrical has regressed, cardiac output is normal.

Trace of mital valve regurgitation.

Left atruim is measured at 4.0.

There are fibrocalcific changes of the aortic valve without evidence of stenosis.

The mital valve is thickened with no stenosis or prolapse seen.

Left ventricular cavitary dimensions are within normal limits.

There is no definite hypertophy suggested.

The septum is hypokinetic to slightly paradoxic probably on a postoperative basis as global systolic function is vigorous.

Right ventricle and atrium are normal, the latter measuring 25 mm.

No tricuspid valve abnormalities are identified.

There is no pericardial effusion."

End of Report---

I take it that this means I am doing really well. (?)

The cardologist says he only needs to see me every year and that he is amazed at how well the sugery helped me.

(This is the same cardio who told me I was going to die. Then I contacted the HCMA and had the myectomy at The CCF.)

I told the cardiac nurse that I still have HCM, (because she made it sound like I was cured) but she said, not enough to limit you in any way. Of couse, I don't mind losing disability, I am so happy I'm alive and well, but now I need to find health insurance (bummer).

I still have to have my ICD checked every 3 months.

This is amazing.
    Three years ago, I could not walk across the house without being completely out of breath. Now, I am living normal!

Even though I cannot hike a mountain or run up flights of stairs, I'm okay for a 44 year old.

One thing is for sure. My cardiologist here is absolutely amazed at how successful this surgery was for me. He knows about Dr. Lever and Dr. Smedira.

Thank you Dr. Lever and Dr. Smedira

I can never thank you enough.

84,000 hugs to you and THE CCF

Eve
    Last edited by Eileen2345; 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM. Reason: Added information.
    49 yrs. old
    Diagnosed at 31.
    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Re: I Regressed!!!

I'm happy you're doing so well! Keep up the good work.
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

What a great report! Thanks for sharing your joy with the rest of us!

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Wow! Congratulations!

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

You made my day.... I remember when you wondered if you would see the new year.... and now WOW you are doing great! Quality treatment makes ALL the difference!

Take care!
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

How wonderful for you.
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

I like posts like these...builds hope for others,

Dave

Comment

That's why I posted this Dave, because it may help give others who are facing this surgery or this condition some hope or postive thoughts, I needed some hope badly before my surgery.

Everyone...

Before my surgery, I was very anxious, I did not know if it would be successful, if others had good results, if they got better...ect.
                So maybe my posting this may let some HCMers or HOCMers know that things can change for the better.

I would also like to add:

I lead a very healthy lifestyle, but the surgery -- no doubt saved my life.

Now, I do everything necessary to maintain what the myectomy did for me;
                I do not smoke, I do not drink alcohol, I don't over-eat, I eat very healthy and I only have about 1500 mg to 2000 mg of salt a day (at the most 2000 mg).

I only have at the most 20 mg of sugar a day (not including fruit).

I take good supplements, like fish oil -- omega 3, omega 6, Co Q-10 (100mg daily), Vitamin C and some others.
                (If you're taking a blood thinner, ask your doctor about fish oils and omega 6, they can thin your blood and thow off your blood test or be harmful. Do not take Vitamin K unless told by your doctor.)

I also take sublingual B-12 and other B Vitamins everyday.

And I take my Verapamil faithfully everyday.
                I exercise almost daily as well.

But, oh my God, before the myectomy, I was just about a gonner. I was on oxygen, I could not walk more than a few yards and I would be completely out of breath, my skin was a grayish tone. I was in bad shape.

Also, after my surgery, I lost 35 pounds. I needed to, I was overweight, that was a big strain on my heart. And, I know Dr. Lever is serious about us HCMers not being overweight, and it's true, the extra weight was not good for my heart. I felt a big difference after I lost the weight. (But I could not have lost the weight if I had not had the surgery.)

None of this would have been possible if I had not had the best doctors and the best care at The CCF. And, huge credit to The HCMA, Lisa told me to call The Cleveland Clinic.
                I am forever grateful. Words could not express how grateful I am.
                Thank you infinitely.

Thanks everyone for reading my post.

Best Wishes,
                Eve
                49 yrs. old
                Diagnosed at 31.
                Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Working...
                X