If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleep apnea and dairy...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep apnea and dairy...

I've made an interesting discovery recently and wanted to hear others experiences.

I've never had a sleep study done, but since my teens I've been told that I snore something awful and frequently stop breathing throughout the night (which tends to scare the heck out of overnight guests). I've also had frequent recurring ear infections my whole life, strep throat, chronic sinusitis, stuffy head, and allergic shiners (dark puffy circles under the eyes). I rarely feel like I've gotten a good restful sleep and often wake up tired. My most recent ear infections (both ears) lingered for almost two months.

Then I read several articles about dairy allergy, ear infections, nasal congestion, sleep apnea, etc. I was pretty desperate so I decided to do a little experiment and give up all dairy for ten days. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but I was really hoping it wouldn't improve anything (I love cheese!). Well I'll be danged if by day three my ears didn't start popping and draining, my left maxillary sinus which has been blocked for quite a while started to feel better, the dark circles under my eyes are fading, and I'm getting a much more restful sleep. I honestly can feel the energy difference.

Several nights ago I put this to the test and ate two slices of cheese with dinner. Just two ounces total for the day. The next morning I woke up tired, congested, and my right ear was blocked again.

Interesting, huh? I've eaten a lot of dairy everyday for my entire life, and have always had these recurring problems.

I'm going to stay dairy-free long-term now and see just how much things keep improving.

Anyone else have a similar experience with dairy?

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: Sleep apnea and dairy...

Definitely agree to the merits of this issue . I remember my ex roomate from the 70's having to give up dairy due to chronic ear infections and it worked . My middle daughter also had such issues and had to have surgery @ 3 due to same, back in the 80's. I personally can not tolerate milk products within hours of bedtime d/t the congestion/ stuffiness, they create in me.

As we humans have only been drinking cow's milk for a relatively short time in history... I guess it is not strange to think that the cow's milk protein may be more foreign to us and challenging for human consumption and metabolism.

So definitely understand and so sorry for your loss...creamy, yummy, milk no more!

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks Pam,

When you think about it... it does seem rather strange doesn't it? That we humans steal breast milk from other nursing mammals and drink it for ourselves? LoL. We're the only animal to do that. We're also the only mammal to drink milk past infancy. Basically we're all still breastfeeding. We just breastfeed off other animals. I'm not sure we're supposed to do that.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Well, in lots of cultures they actually don't drink milk after infancy. . .

I know it was a major revelation to me when I started using lactose-free milk: gut problems I'd always been plagued with disappeared. When I'm traveling and forget, I always regret it for a couple of days.

I should probably try to go cold turkey on dairy one of these days, since I'm certainly prone to nasal congestion, plugged ears, and such.

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by gfox42 View Post
          I should probably try to go cold turkey on dairy one of these days, since I'm certainly prone to nasal congestion, plugged ears, and such.
          I would have hated to go dairy-free prior to 2006. Thankfully the food allergen labeling reforms have made it much easier to avoid now since any dairy content (casein, whey, etc.) has to be clearly labeled. It has forced me to give up most processed foods, almost all of which contain dairy in some form. But I suppose that is a good thing.

Comment

Thanks all. I just shared this with my husband who has suffered from sinus stuff forever. He had given up dairy at one time due to Lactose intolerance. But he outgrew that. So, I think he will try again. He is snorting as I speak!
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Well folks, I haven't had any dairy for 10 years, so I guess that isn't my problem

Comment

To: mtlieb,

Jim, does this mean that I'll have to eat your piece of cheesecake when I go to Cleveland in April? I'd really hate to have you miss out on such a treat!
                Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Working...
                X