If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaky Mitro-valve along with IHSS

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Mitro-valve along with IHSS

[Leaky Mitro-valve along with IHSS]

Author: Howard Mirchin (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-10-02 17:59

To everyone:

I just spoke to my cardiologist Dr. Fuster in regards to my upcoming myectomy/maze at CCF with Dr. Smedira. He stated that I have a leaky mitro-valve based on his review of my echo films. Does anybody have any information regarding this topic?

Thanks

Howie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Leaky Mitro-valve along with IHSS]

Author: Lynn S. (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)

Date: 10-10-02 19:06

Hi Howie,

In regards to the valve, if it's the mitral valve that is leaking it's probably from your obstruction. That was my problem at least. The obstruction was prohibiting the mitral valve from closing properly causing the leak (regurgitation). For me at least, just removing the obstruction took care of the leaky mitral valve and no further work was needed on the valve itself. Sometimes though work is required on the mitral valve. I would imagine you will be meeting with Dr. Smedira prior to the surgery and he will be able to discuss it with you and give you an idea if he thinks any work may be required on it.

Lynn Stewart

Author: Matt (---.disney.com)

Date: 10-10-02 22:19

Howie,

Before my myectomy, my mitral valve was also leaking badly, so the surgeon was prepared to fix or replace it at the same time if needed. Well just like Lynn, removing the obstruction fixed the valve too.

Matt

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-11-02 03:03

Dear Howie,

It is pretty common for HOCM to cause mitral valve regurgitation. You are seeing one of the best, so feel free to pepper them with questions too --they will answer you.

It is more than likely that the myectomy will fix the problem, and yes, if it it gets super bad they can give you a new valve if you need it. The clinic will tell you if they think that may happen.

good luck and keep us posted!! There are a lot of CC alumni here.

Sarah

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 10-11-02 09:42

Howie,

Dr. Smedira repaired my mitral valve during the myextomy. Going in he told me there was a small chance I would have to have the valve replaced. My issue was different, the valve leaflet was too long and was helping to cause problems along with the obstruction. You will know prior to surgery what will happen. There are alot of recent Dr. Smedira alumni on this board. I believe around 8-10 people lately. So far everyone seems to be doing pretty good. You are going to a great place.

Good Luck

Jerry

Author: john jordan (---.public.lawson.webtv.net)

Date: 10-11-02 12:45

i was suppost to have mitral and aortic valve replaced with myectomy and two bypasses. dr. asher and dr. smedira assured me the myectomy would probably take care of the valves and gratefully they only had to do two bypasses and myectomy on july 15th. dr. smedira did a special echo during surgery and could see if valves needed work after the myectomy. the test showed valve problem resolved with myectomy. good luck, john

Author: betsy trawick (168.8.208.---)

Date: 10-11-02 14:55

My son had the same thing and the myectomy fixed it! Good luck with yours and I hope you have the same results.

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-13-02 21:19

Howard,

This is very common and if memory serves me correctly, your off for a myectomy at Cleveland... your in good hands...if they need to repair the valve they can...Jerry Chime in here please!

Lisa

Author: Amelia Haynes (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-13-02 22:55

Well, they couldn't repair my mitral valve so they just took it out and replaced it with a new one. Now, I am clicking along and enjoying life once again.

Author: Linda (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 10-14-02 20:36

Hi Amelia, you have such a way with words! I look forward to your postings. We are doing well here in Maryland, and so glad to hear the same with you in Texas. Linda, Ray, Cliff and Nate

Author: Amelia Haynes (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-15-02 10:11

Linda, I treasure your friendship.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X