[Myectomy/Maze Expectations]

Author: Howard Mirchin (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-09-02 00:36

To Everyone:

I have a large resting gradient of 90 and a gradient with full exertion of 135 per prior stress-echo & metabolic stress-echo which I completed approximately 10 and 13 minutes respectively. I am still active in a majority of my day to day activities except for any activity requiring medium/full exertion (In general I am far from a couch potato). Currently I am taking 480 mg of Verapamil for my IHSS and 5 mg of Coumadin & 400 mg of Amiodarone for 3 recent A-Fibs earlier this year. Since I have been on the Amiodarone I have maitained constant normal sinus rythym since the beginning of June. Can somebody describe what activites they were allowed to commence after a sucessful myectomy/maze procedure and within what time frame? My surgical date is scheduled for the week of November 11 at the Cleveland Clinic and have been informed that I would be off all meds (especially Amiodarone which is highly toxic and have been checked periodically for toxicity levels) except for a beta blocker. Thanks for sharing your experiences and your valuable insight.

Thanks

Howie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Myectomy/Maze Expectations]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-09-02 00:55

Dear Howie,

HCM is a very individualized disease and this is a topic that is best addressed to the doctors who know your status better than any of us.

Major surgery requires you to be good to yourself and not push for a couple months, let alone just the required recovery time of 4-6 six weeks. Please read the post from last month entitled something like "good advice for everyone" which addresses surgery recovery very well.

Ideally, your recovery will be without complications or bumps in the road, but be prepared for the normal give and take and ups and downs. Don't force yourself into any rigid parameters about what you think you should or should not be doing and let your body be your guide.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 10-09-02 17:04

Howard - check with SUE HARRY on the board she just got back from CCF - and had a myectomy and a maze... look for her posting and you can email her.

Lisa

Author: Howard Mirchin (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-09-02 17:42

Lisa:

Thanks for your advise.

Howie

Author: betsy trawick (168.8.208.---)

Date: 10-15-02 16:24

My son was able to come off his meds after the surgery - his gradient went from 90 to 2!!!!! After close to a year, we still have the same measurements and no meds! Good luck