If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hypoglycemia and HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hypoglycemia and HCM

[hypoglycemia and HCM]

Author: mary sharp (---.net306.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 10-09-02 00:34

Hello everyone! Just a quick question. Does anyone know if hypoglycemia can affect the heart in us HCMers. The last few times I have been to the hospital my sugar levels were quite low with my last being about 35. I was reading an article stateting that when the body runs low on sugar that it starts kicking out adrenaline to produce more sugar. If this is true does that mean that it makes the heart work harder. My docs can't figure out why my troponin levels are going up with nothing showing up on my EKGs. The only thing that seems to be consistant is the sugar levels. Any answers would greatly be appreciated.

On a good note Two more days till I get to Boston! Oh yeah Lisa you need to get some rest 101 tempreture you should be taking it easy! I just don't know how you do it!

Mary S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: hypoglycemia and HCM]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-09-02 00:56

Dear Mary

This one is new to me, but I'll see what I can find.

good luck and take care,

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-09-02 07:37

Mary.. I feel rather well this morning... jost feels like a good ole cold at this point... So our plans should be fine!

Talk to you soon.

Lisa

Author: Pat (---.d00832.dlup.digitaldune.net)

Date: 10-09-02 18:05

Mary,

I don't know about HCM & hypoglycemia. I do know that beta-blockers can mask the symptoms of hypoglycemia, so one's blood sugar can drop substantially without one realizing it. That might have something to do with why yours got so low.

Sounds like a good question for your list to ask the staff in Boston! Good luck there!

Pat

Author: Mary Sharp (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-09-02 22:19

Well gang I am off to Boston at 5:00 am yuck! But it will definatly be worth it I am sure! Hey Lisa I know you're gonna be in town if you get a chance give me a call on my cell! It's 3219470262 I look forward to actually meeting you in person! Well got more packing to do! See ya soon!

Mary S.

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-09-02 23:07

Dear Mary,

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooohHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

She is a-goin' to Boston!! I'm so glad you are seeing the "big guns" --can't wait to hear all about it.

take care and travel safe,

Sarah

Author: nancy (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-10-02 11:29

Dear Mary,

I have a 14 yr old son who has HCM. He has had problems with hypoglycemia all his childhood but when I mention it to the doctors they brush these symtoms aside. I don't know if hypoglycemia could be related at all but I do know he has had many of these symptoms throughout his life. Basically, they have just told me to watch his diet and feed him often. They are never able to prove he has low blood sugar thru the quick blood test, but believe me when I tell you that he has had some severe symptoms over the years.

Author: Mary Sharp (---.net297.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 10-12-02 17:47

According to the docs I saw in Boston yesterday the symptoms of hypoglycemia do not aggravate the HCM heart.

mary S.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X