[Sam and My New ICD]

Author: Craig (---.detroit05rh16rt.mi.dial-access.att.net)

Date: 10-08-02 11:14

Hey folks!

I'm finally chiming in to let everyone know that my ICD surgery went quite well and I have moved on in my life -- with a new baby, and a new job! My surgery was on September 3rd, and all went well with one exception -- when the doc first tried to put the leads in my heart went into Vfib. They had to externally shock me twice to get sinus rhythm back! Of course, thankfully, I have no memory of this experience because of the wonders of anesthesia, but it was alarming to learn about afterwards nonetheless.

This leads me to yet another question (do they ever end?) -- what does repeated shocking do to one's heart? Are there any studies out there that show negative results of repeated shocking? Or any shocking for that matter? Not that I plan for this to happen to me, my ICD has not gone off, and I hope it never does.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone for their support over the months I took to make this decision. It is true what many have said before: once the ICD is in, life feels much lighter and less anxious.

My new son, Samuel, thanks you all as well. So far, he shows no signs of having HCM. Of course, we will monitor this closely over the years as he grows. Boy, is he a loud child! And he doesn't really cry much, but he does grunt, snore, squeek, and yelp in his sleep! He's gorgeous, in good health, and my wife and I are just beginning to regain some normalcy in our lives (key word: "some").

Thanks again to you all! This is a great resource. Lisa -- you are a treasure!

Happy fall...

Craig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Sam and My New ICD]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-08-02 17:01

Craig... let me be the first on the board to welcome Samual and wish you and your new family years of happiness and good health!

I know you battled with the ICD or not to ICD question... and hate to say told you so...but it really isnt all that bad is it?!

Re multi shocks...I am not aware of af any data showing that it damages the heart.

I am glad your getting back to "normal" but face it Craig, your a dad now... normal will not be at your door step for about 20 years yet!

Wishing you ALL the Best!!!

Lisa

PS Tell Grandpa I said congratulations too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Sam and My New ICD]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-09-02 00:08

Dear Craig

Congrats on everything and keep us posted!!

take care,

Sarah