If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Player died of heart attack

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player died of heart attack

[Player died of heart attack]

Author: Tim Stewart (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)

Date: 10-07-02 09:39

Copyright 2002 The Detroit News

All Rights Reserved

The Detroit News

September 8, 2002 Sunday Two dot Edition

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. 6D

LENGTH: 307 words

HEADLINE: Player died of heart attack

BYLINE: Tom Markowski

BODY:

DETROIT -- Players and students at Detroit Southwestern were drawn to Eric Simpson. Cheerful, upbeat, Simpson had a way of making people laugh. Simpson collapsed Friday on the sidelines during a football game with Southeastern at Joy Middle School and later died of a heart attack, autopsy results revealed Saturday.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office said Saturday evening the cause of death was hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which an investigator described as a heart attack.

Team staff and emergency medical personnel performed CPR on Simpson at the game. Simpson suffered a seizure and was taken to the hospital, the Detroit Public Schools district said in a statement.

Southwestern Coach Danny Foster rode with Simpson, a 15-year-old junior tackle, to the hospital.

Southwestern High School principal Betty Hines said Simpson had undergone a physical and was cleared to play football. Hines said doctors told her there was nothing that could have indicated the student would suffer heart failure.

Foster said he met with the team following a 29-0 loss to Southeastern and again Saturday morning. He said a vote was taken to continue the season and resume practice Monday.

"It was a Friday, beautiful day, it's not supposed to happen," Foster said. "He was a kid other kids gravitated to. You couldn't be in Southwestern and not know Eric. He was a kid you wanted to be around. He was an exceptional young man."

Foster said Simpson was 5-foot-11 and weighed 195 pounds. Simpson played football as a freshman but did not compete last season.

Foster described Simpson as a budding defensive tackle and offensive guard.

"He's a great kid to be around. He's an excellent young man," Foster said.

A school assembly is scheduled for Monday morning. Grief counselors will be available for students, the district said.

LOAD-DATE: October 5, 2002

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Player died of heart attack]

Author: Julie Petitpas (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-07-02 10:17

Dear Tim, My heart goes out to this boys family. As you know I have just lost my little brother Jason Wogick to this deadly condition. Thanks for bringing this story to our attention. I have found comfort in writing in this message board. Hopefully his famiily will find this place too. -Julie (Wogick) Petitpas

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-07-02 12:18

Simply stated... God Bless Eric.

Sincerely...and Sadly,

Lisa Salberg

President, HCMA

Author: betsy trawick (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)

Date: 10-07-02 17:42

My 20 year old son dropped July 4th from HCM while jogging in the neighborhood. Our family is devastated as I am sure your family is. My daughter is 23 and has also lost her little brother. I am going to suggest that she check out this message board as she is struggling to come to terms with his loss. Thanks for sharing.

Author: Maura Mendoza (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-08-02 07:30

WHY...........another young soul taken from his youth, I am so angry...I have to do something, I cannot sit idle and have my son Travis' death in vain...He has been dead nearly 7 week's, the longest most pain filled time of my life, the fogg of shock is lifting and I am ever so angry, I will dedicate my life to helping other families in there loss, or perhaps to changing legislation on psychicals. The psychicals our countrys children have are NOTHING...they could not possibly pick up on any abnormaity that is not see with the humsn eye's. and these DR's know this , they have to. It all boil's down to insurance and money .I am livid that there are so many mothers and fathers children living lives with an un-forseen Death Sentence.....This has to stop.....I Live on the southern coast of maine, the statistics seem to be scattered all over the country, what can I do , please push me in the right direction..... Maura 207-439-5886 mornings, 207-363-7294 afternoons

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-08-02 09:51

Maura and the rest... WE , the HCMA are not taking these deaths lightly... WE are on our way to organize a national campaign to STOP NEEDLESS DEATHS in our young athletes and other young adults!

WE WILL NEED ALL YOUR HELP... WE WILL NEED YOUR TIME... YOU WILL SAVE LIVES!

Keep on the board and stay posted!

Lisa

Author: Mary Catania (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-09-02 10:00

Dear Lisa,

I, too, feel passionately that legislation must provide for HCM testing of our young athletes.

My 18 year old son was given medical clearance to play sports in school and subsequently died of undetected HCM in 1991. And he previously had a hole in his heart, detected at birth, with a heart murmur! When Vincent was 12, the cardiologist announced that the hole had closed up and that he didn't need any further care or testing. Every year after that, Vincent was cleared for sports by our doctor, who knew of his history. Then, suddenly, he died on the gym floor after physical exertion. I found out weeks later, after autopsy, that he had HCM.

Every time I read about another child dying of undetected HCM, I feel flooded with grief and anger that this is still happening. When will it end? How can I help? I would be honored to send a letter to my state representative, especially one that has been formulated by the HCMA. I read in one of the threads that Sarah may be working up a sample letter for people to use in the near future. I am anxiously awaiting that, but I would also like to be involved more deeply. What can I do?

Mary

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-09-02 12:31

Dear Mary,

The HCMA is working very hard to get enough money for some big projects in the near future. Please stay tuned and become a member if you aren't already.There will be more info on how to help when we have details.

We are hoping to make 2003 a huge year for HCM awareness.

Sarah

Author: Erica Stolzenberg (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 10-09-02 20:30

Here it is mentioned that it is hard to detect ... " Despite vigilant attention to history taking, the examining physician is sometimes unable to detect potential causes of sudden death in young athletes. HCM -- the most common cause of death in young athletes -- is an autosomal-dominant congenital disorder resulting in left ventricular outflow obstruction and it is often clinically silent."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/418166_4

Author: Erica Stolzenberg (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 10-09-02 20:33

Here is why it is not taken seriously ... look at the statistics mentioned ...

Fortunately, sudden death in the young athlete is rare. Studies have shown that the overall incidence of sudden death in male athletes is quite low: 1 per 125,000 per year in men < age 35 years to 1 per 735,000 per year in US Air Force recruits aged 17 to 28 years[10]. It is even rarer in females, with death rates nearly fivefold less than those among males[11].

We really need to push HARD!
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X