[Weight loss]

Author: chuck B (---.58.32.159.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)

Date: 10-06-02 14:09

I have lost 30 lbs since I was hospitalized with sustained ventricular tach over 2 years ago. After numerious medications I have settled in with amio and coreg but continue to loose weight/muscle mass. Although my diet is a heart healthy diet, I do eat numerous times during the day. I have read where beta blockers can be an appetite supressant but I was on Inderal for 35 years prior without loosing weight. I am much less active than before my vt episode but still walk several miles during the day and do lt weights several times during the week - could this be muscle loss due to the decrease in activity? I am a small framed person to begin with so the 30 lb loss from 154 to 124 has had a dramatic effect on me. The docs say drink ensure but that has no effect. Any one had a similar experience?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Weight loss]

Author: Pat (---.d00832.dlup.digitaldune.net)

Date: 10-06-02 16:40

Chuck,

Have you had a complete physical from a nurse practitioner, internist, or general practice physician to determine whether there is another reason for your weight loss? That would be my first consideration if I were you.

Good luck,

Pat

Author: Amy Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-06-02 17:43

Chuck,

By amio, do you mean amiodorone? The reason why I ask is that amiodorone can cause both hypo and hyper thyroidism. One of which (I can't remember which one) can cause you to loose weight. I live in England, and I'm on amiodorone...here I have to have my thyroid level checked every three months. I hope you find out the cause of your weight lose.

Good luck,

Amy Williams

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-07-02 15:35

Dear Chuck

Both of these posts are correct. You need a complete work up ----assuming that your thyroid level is normal. Hyperthyroidism makes you lose weight. however, amio usually causes hypo (not hyper) thyroidism. But either way, that is the first thing to check --and then everything else.

Let us know how it goes (and what a great excuse to eat ice cream!)

S