If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATHLETE WHO DIED HAD HEART CONDITION

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATHLETE WHO DIED HAD HEART CONDITION

[ATHLETE WHO DIED HAD HEART CONDITION]

Author: Tim Stewart (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)

Date: 10-05-02 13:23

Copyright 2002 The Buffalo News

The Buffalo News

October 1, 2002 Tuesday

SECTION: LOCAL, Pg.B3

LENGTH: 316 words

HEADLINE: ATHLETE WHO DIED HAD HEART CONDITION

BYLINE: TERRY FRANK; Chautauqua Correspondent

DATELINE: JAMESTOWN

BODY:

A Jamestown Community College sophomore who died Friday after collapsing during an intramural football game apparently suffered from a heart condition, officials said.

Chautauqua County Coroner P. Michael Nielsen said Jason T. Wogick, 20, of Salamanca, died of natural causes -- "cardiac arrhythmia due to a pre-existing condition of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy," or abnormal heart muscle, according to college spokesman Nelson Garifi. College President Gregory DeCinque called Wogick's death an "unfortunate tragedy" and said grief counselors are helping Wogick's friends -- many at the game when Wogick collapsed -- to deal with the tragedy. Garifi said the counselors will remain at the college throughout the week.

"(We have) special outreach efforts to students and staff who were present during the incident, and others who might have known Jason, and others who just feel the sense of loss that we're all feeling today," he said.

On Monday intramural and extracurricular activities were canceled at the college.

Flowers were placed around the field where Wogick collapsed during the flag football game.

Garifi said a campus memorial service for Wogick has yet to be scheduled.

"Right now, we're respecting the family's opportunity to have its (funeral) service, and college officials will be part of that," he said. "But, we haven't made any specific plans beyond that. We want to give the family time to grieve and work through that process."

Witnesses said Wogick was running with the ball when he was tagged, and was knocked to the ground momentarily. However, he got back up and was walking back to his team's huddle when he collapsed.

The college's athletic trainer and a nurse were on the scene within moments of the incident. DeCinque said men's basketball coach Mike Cordovano was also nearby and rushed to the scene.

Wogick died later in WCA Hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: ATHLETE WHO DIED HAD HEART CONDITION]

Author: Mary Sharp (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-05-02 13:48

How many young lives will it take before people start realizing this is a serious condition?

Mary

Author: Pat (---.d00832.dlup.digitaldune.net)

Date: 10-05-02 14:06

Mary,

I agree. Perhaps we need to create a "Wall" of names, ages, & dates of death. Somehow personalizing it seems to have greater impact on politicians & other policymakers than do simple numbers.

Pat

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 10-05-02 14:33

We live in a world full of negligent, ignorant and naïve individuals. I honestly do NOT think it matters how many lives are lost … as people are going to do what they want to do and only allow their eyes and ears to see/hear what they want. People do not want to hear how people are dying nor do they want to learn how to prevent their loved ones from dying. People sadly do what is in THEIR best interest as they are only looking at the now rather than their futures. The knowledge is available … the problem is getting the information to absorb into society’s think headed skulls. People read about these conditions daily over the web, they read it in books; magazines; journals; they are watching it on the news; and witnessing it first hand. Teachers and educators like myself can educate until we are blue in the face and I honestly do not think it matters … I do not know what matters to people anymore. Take for instance AIDS … do you think the scares and available knowledge is preventing society from practicing abstinence or safe sex? When I displayed pictures of STD’s to inner-city students of mine years ago … it did nothing. Perhaps it scared one or two and hopefully it prevented some of my students from falling prey to an STD. We still caught students having sex behind the school, we still had them coming to us months later complaining of genital herpes, itching, etc. I just do not know anymore how we can reach people! And I feel your frustrations.

We need to start educating the young about HCM. Start in preschool, have it mandated that screenings must be implemented in every school/collegiate curriculum nation and worldwide. Make it MANDATORY that every child is screened prior to participating in his/her physical education course. Any child/teen/adult who refuses to get screened should NOT be allowed to participate in physical education class; he/she will not be allowed to play on little league; he/she will not be allowed to participate in college intramurals – sports teams. It must be a prerequisite. It must be required period!

I’m sure someone will write back saying it’s too expensive! The money is available … it was and it will always be available … the problem once again comes down to PRIORITIES and importance. Ok … I’ll end here as I could go on and on. I hope I did not offend anyone. If I did I apologize.

[SISTER OF THE ATHLETE WHO DIED HAD HEART CONDITION]

Author: Jody Wogick Quinlan (---.syracuse-03-04rs.ny.dial-access.att.net)

Date: 10-05-02 15:57

Hello my name is Jody Wogick Quinlan. I was the half sister to Jason Wogick. All I have to say, my whole family was in shock with his death and the reason, because we all never knew about his condition about I last saw him the night before at my parent's house and he he seemed find and was happy about a grade he got in college math. My father told me he was complaining about headaches and dizziness couple weeks ago so he made a doctors appointment for this past monday. I have to say we do need speak up and say enough is enough, so we don't unexpectly lose another younger person

[Re: SISTER OF THE ATHLETE WHO DIED HAD HEART CONDITION]

Author: Julie Petitpas (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-05-02 16:25

Jason Wogick was my brother also. Thank You for putting this article out there. As I said to Marla, the mother grieving for the loss of her 14 yr old son Travis, this is a tradgedy. He barely was able to start his life as an adult when he was taken away from us. The bigger tradgedy is this possibly all could of been prevented. With the proper screening we might have known he had a heart condition. What does this say about our society? Is a human life not worth this test? It scares me to know that my little brother had to die in order for me to find out I could be at risk. I will make it my life's mission to help other's. To know that Jason and other's like him did not die in vain.

Julie (Wogick) Petitpas

Date: 10-05-02 16:33

Jody ... my heart and deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family. We do need to do something ... we need to be proactive ... we need do more than just speak ... we need advocate and make sure we are not only HEARD but UNDERSTOOD. We need to speak up loud and hard until action is taken everywhere. We need to compaign harder than ever. I am willing to help in any way possible.

Again ... I am sorry to hear about your brother.

Date: 10-05-02 17:26

I apologize for writing again but I was saddened after reading about Jason that I am not sure my main point was made. What I want to express is that we all need to pull together and make ourselves HEARD. I always knew my father had a heart condition but I didn't know he had HOCM until a week ago ... nor did I understand what it was let alone that it even existed until the other week. This upsets me ... I went to college to become a Community-School health educator ... why wasn't this information taught to me in school? Why wasn't it in the middle school curriculums I taught in Baltimore City or Cary, NC? I coached a middle school soccer team - why wasn't this condition mentioned in the school system? Why wasn't it mentioned or stressed anywhere? I am so upset that my father had to get HOCM to make me go and get tested myself. When he learned he had a heart condition 7 years ago ... why weren't we (his family) told to get tested (echocardiograms) then?

I agree ... how many families have to lose a loved one or learn that they could lose a loved one just to learn about HCM, sudden death? We need to be heard and we need to spread the word and see this condition taken seriously!

Date: 10-05-02 21:17

As one of the sisters of Jason...I agree with all of you. So what are we going to do about it?

Julie (Wogick) Petitpas

Author: Amy Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-06-02 08:43

What are we going to do about it? I work for the British Cardiomyopathy Association. One thing that we have done is created medical CD Roms, that have been sent out to primary care physicians all over the country, to help educate docotors about HCA. Many sufferers are misdiagnosed, simply because their PCP's don't know enough about the condition. Some PCP's don't even seem to be aware that if one family member has it, then the rest of the family needs to be screened.

Another charity in this country called CRY, which deals with all sudden cardiac deaths in the young, was set up a mobile screening unit that goes around to different areas and screens young people. An article I read said that They have picked up irregularities in between 10 and 20% of people screened. This doesn't mean they all have HCA, but these people were flagged for further testing.

The goal of having all young people screened may be far off. However, there are smaller things that can be done in the mean time, that will save lives. I think that educating the medical profession may be one of the keys.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Amy Williams

Author: Sharon (---.ph.ph.cox.net)

Date: 10-06-02 15:55

Dear Jodi & Julie,

Please let me express my deepest sympathies to you and your family for the loss you are all reeling from right now. Your brother, Jason, has made the greatest sacrifice ever; Jason's life so others will live! There is nothing that will ease the pain you are experiencing, I pray for you and your family and send my love to reach out to you in your grief.

My son, Anthony, died two years ago...today is his birthday he would have been 23 years old and I celebrate his life! He was in the football program at Kansas State University when he died the summer, 2000. He was 20 years old, just like your Jason.

I have been working with HCMA and many other grass root programs to prove the need for heart screenings with our youth and young athletes. We have done over 900+ echocardiogram screenings finding an average of 20% heart abnormalities from our events. We have uncovered 4 people with HCM. The experts claim 1 in 500 people have HCM. I hope to prove them wrong. We can do more.

I would like to train/assist other families in this country to put on their own heart screening events. Our screening event(s) costs range from $10-$15 per person. All the people resources are volunteers and the echocardiogram machines are donated for the day by the manufacturers, and local hospitals. Even the local doctors pitch in their time. The costs are minimal and the advantages are great!

Please check out our web-site to see some latest pictures of the event in Manhattan, KS, September 29, 2002. http://www.AnthonyBates.org

Right now we are working with a family in Delaware to put together an event in memory of the loss of their son. We are working on an event to screen 35,000 students in an AZ school district. Plus, I have recently spoken to Marla, Boston, MA, to offer my support for an event in memory of her son, Travis. Let me know what I can do to help you and your family.

As we create heart screening events across the country, we will collect the numbers of the children afflicted with undetected heart conditions. When we can prove the importance of "early detection" we will open the doors in our legislation to change the laws, state by state, to MANDATE heart screening for our young people participating in sports of all kind! They do heart screenings in Italy and have no sudden cardiac death on their playing feilds. NY state just passed a law mandating AED units in all the school, they are opening the doors for all school districts in the US to take that step.

Now we need to have a state to mandate heart screenings!

Please feel free to contact me personally. Your family can help us when you are ready! I live in AZ so I am on PST (until end of October, then MST).

Your loss is my loss and I grieve with you!

Love and Blessings,

Sharon Bates

(602) 482-5606

[Jason T. Wogick]

Author: Stewart Krug (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-07-02 07:19

Dear Jodie and Julie - I am so sorry to hear about Jason. My deepest sympathies to each of youa and all of his family and friends. I lost my son Matt to HCM in July 2001. We had a very similar story. Matt suffered a SCA two days after his 16th birthday and died 12 days later. (We can discuss the siutation later or separately if it would help.) If I may I will offer a few suggestions.

Talk to people as you are now doing, it does help some. However, it never will make any sense. Find a support group such as Compassionate Firends. They have chapters all over the country. Compassionate Friends is made up of parents who have lost children.

Work with Lisa at HCMA and Sharon (from Arz). [I am the family in DE that Sharon spoke of.] There are several families out there working independently to get the message out, as you can see from the other messages. I agree with Erica (we all do) that we need to all work together. [We should thank Lisa everyday, after all who worked to get this webstie and message board fro all us to use]. Keep using the message board. If people allow, email directly. Keep talking.

There are several groups accross the country that have carried out screenings. They will offer to help you. But the bottom line is money. How do you get the money? We all have to dedicate part of our life to keep beating the bushes, making contacts - friends, doctors, other support groups (such as American Heart Association), hospitals, corporations, etc. We have to remeber how this country was built - on hard work. The hardest thing for me is being patient, but I am still plugging away.

Again, I am so sorry to hear about Jason. Hopefully, he and Matt are up there together to give us guidance.

[Re: Jason T. Wogick]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-07-02 12:15

Dear Jody -

I am sorry I did not post sooner, I have just returned to NJ from MN and the 2nd summit on HCM.

At this meeting I addressed the participants and said " I am tired of these needless deaths and we can not sit back waiting for 'something' to change...we must change it" - --if this comes by way of changes in the legal sense or raises awareness of HCM - I do not know at this point but these deaths are simply not acceptable as 'rare tragic events' they are our young people, they are our future, they are our children...it is our job as parents and adults to make the world a better place for them.

My heart goes out to you and your family and I would be happy to speak with you about what you can do to help us help others.

God Bless Jason.

May we find a way to end these tragic events soon!

Sincerely,

Lisa Salberg

President, HCMA

Date: 10-07-02 16:30

Hi Lisa,

This is Julie, Jason's sister. I have written in here often and have found great comfort with writing in this site. Thanks for creating it. I have been in contact with the American Heart Association to have a Heart Walk in our area. I know this won't solve anything but, maybe I can help bring this condition to the fore front. I will do anything to honor my brother's memory. I have also written to the Major Networks to voice my opinion. I would be honored to work with you however I can. I anm sharing all my information with my family and plan to share it with my community as well. Thank You for all that you do.

Sincerly,

Julie Petitpas

Author: betsy trawick (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)

Date: 10-07-02 17:57

Sharon, I am so impressed with what you have done in your son's name. I would love to do something in my son's name - sounds like many of us have lost 20 year old athletic sons. I lost my son, Evan, this July 4th. He was jogging in our neighborhood and went down from sudden death. Nothing would have saved him and I only feel blessed that he did NOT go down while playing basketball or working out with his friends at UGA. He was a gifted athlete and loved sports literally more than life. We did know of his condition as did he, but he chose to live his life to the fullest and for that I am grateful. I think educating and detecting the public is vital; however, it is a condition that we were told - you may live forever, you may die tomorrow - unfortunately, the same is true for a car accident. I would love to contact you in the future about doing something here in Georgia. Thanks for sharing all your hard work and efforts.

Feel free to contact me if you need more information about our conditions and experiences - 678-580-3855.

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 10-08-02 17:53

Betsy -

Call the HCMA office and we can help get a screening underway in your area.

Lisa

Date: 10-09-02 08:13

Lisa,

Where is your office and how do I contact you by phone? I live in Rhode Island but, I would like to find out more information about screenings in the area where my little brother lived as well as my area. Thank You for your time.

Julie Petitpas

Date: 10-09-02 08:54

It really upsets me to see all of this saddness. I have to admit I never knew about this condition until I lost my brother Jason to HCM. I often wonder would he still be here if we were aware of such a condition? I really believe he would be. My family never knew that dizziness and shortness of breath could mean death for him. Those are symptoms to many things. He had asthma when he was little which would have explained the shortness of breath. He just started getting dizzy about a week before his death. Thought it could be because of not eating properly. He never had a blackout. My family has started to make this illness noticed by going into the local school and letting everyone know about it. Although I'm from a small town so, I'm sure they already know more about HCM than they ever thought they would. Thanks for listening.

Sincerly,

Julie P

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-09-02 22:18

Dear Julie

The phone number is 973-983-7429. Please see the membership page for address and e-mail and there is an e-mail link on this page, top right.

Sarah

Date: 10-10-02 08:18

Thank You Sarah for the information. I get so caught up in this essage board that i forget to look and everything else this site has to offer. Julie Petitpas
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X