If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

defibrillators in schools

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defibrillators in schools

[defibrillators in schools]

Author: janet (---.kc.rr.com)

Date: 10-03-02 16:06

i would like to start raising money for our school to purchase a defibrillator. please let me know if you have any ideas on how to obtain grants for such a purpose. also, does anyone have a sample flyer pertaining to raising money for a defibrillator in a school? your help would be greatly appreciated. i live in mission, kansas so i am guessing that any grant provider would have to be from that area? jh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: defibrillators in schools]

Author: Sharon (---.ph.ph.cox.net)

Date: 10-03-02 20:25

Hi Janet,

I saw on the KCTV5, Kansas City, news program that there is a city wide fund raiser to place AED's in the KC schools. There is a local grocery store, Food Choppers, that collects the donations, and this tv station that promotes the event on the Tuesday evening medical news programming. Plus, the tv web-site, www.kctv5.com, has a wonderful presentation of the fund raising effort.

I have tried to talk with Ann Peterson, news reporter, but she has not returned my calls. Not sure she wants to assist me in our efforts outside of her viewing area.

I also attended a MARCER, Mid-American Regional Center Emergency Response, meeting last month in KC. I was invited to attend by the Cardiac Science, AED manufacturer, in the KC area. The MARCER group has built a web-site/database to register all the AED's that are in the KC area to assist the 911 operators that need to locate such a device in an emergency. In that meeting I was able to network with the KS American Heart Assoc. reps, as well as other important people in that area.

The reason for my involvement is two fold. I like the way they are raising money, utilizing the grocery stores as a focal point. And, I like the fact that the fund raising efforts get talked about on a weekly news program to assist with the promotion.

The second reason I have been trying to get involved with this program is so that we can duplicate the Fund Raising Efforts and the AED Registration program nation wide. Another reason for all of us to work together on these large projects. There are a lot of schools and a lot of communities that would step forward to place the AED's in the focal points of towns where people congregate most, Schools!

Let me know if you have made contact with any AED manufacturers and/or AHA in your area. I hope I can help!

Sharon Bates

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.n-usslc10.stsn.com)

Date: 10-04-02 17:43

HI AUNT JANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy you made it here!!

Hey, Everyone ---this is my Aunt Janet!!!!! She is the coolest! She has HCM as does her son and grandson (oopss, didn't mean to call you grandma, too!)

Anyway, please make yourself at home here and we'll see what we can do about schools.

S

Author: Sharon (---.ph.ph.cox.net)

Date: 10-04-02 20:19

Wow!!! If I had known you were Aunt Janet, I would have done a dance...Welcome, Welcome!

I have some more info about defibrilators in schools. I just got a package in the mail from the Louis J. Acompora Memorial Foundation out of Northport, NY (Long Island). They have successfully lobbied to change the law in NY state that all schools must have defibrillators. The package I received contained news articles, letter, and a 30 minute video describing their plight and how a defibrillator team needs to be created in a school district to impliment the plan. Great stuff!!

For those of you interested in starting a program in your area please check out their web-site, http://www.la12.org There may be some ways to include all the efforts across the country into an umbrella effort...just thinking out loud.

Again, Welcome, Aunt Janet,

Sharon Bates

Author: Julie Petitpas (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 10-09-02 08:18

Sharon, thank you for the information on the website. I'm not sure if the schools in my area have difibulators but, I'm going to find out. It's nice to have the info w/me. Thanks Again

Julie P.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X