If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

water and what type of meds.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water and what type of meds.

[water and what type of meds.]

Author: donna (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)

Date: 10-01-02 15:50

Hi, I have been looking at the board and everyone said to drink a lot of water. I am not sure what the reason is for that. Can anyone tell me the reason, I am doing it but not sure why.

I have a cold and it is going into my sinus. I tryed to pick up some over the counter meds. but they all seem to say not to take them with heart problmes. What can we take to make us feel better, that will not interfear with our other meds. I take Toprol Xl 25 mg two times a day. Thanks for your help.

Donna

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: water and what type of meds.]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 10-01-02 17:06

Dear Donna

Toprol is a beta-blocker and its purpose is to slow down your heart and make it beat softer and slower. Any kind of stimulant like caffiene or nicotine will be counter-productive. Most cold medications are full of stimulants --any decongestant. You _can_ take antihistamines such as Benadryl (plain). Anything labeled "non-drowsy" is NOT for you. If Benadryl makes you too sleepy, you can see your doctor and get a prescription for Claritin regular (not D).

Beta-blockers also tend to lower your blood pressure, too. And that is why it is important to drink enough fluids, so that you are compensating for the reduction. Not enough fluids means the heart is going to have to work harder, too, which also defeats the purpose of taking your medication.

Donna, I have sinus problems all the time and Benadryl makes me very sleepy, so I save it for night time. When I am getting a cold, I know the only way to get the crud out is with steam and irrigation. Sitting in a small bathroom with a towel under the door, run the hot water in the shower at full blast. Sit up on the counter if you can, since the steam rises. Sit and read for as long as you can. I try for an hour if my chest is getting gunky. It really melts the crud. A vaporizer helps, or a steam room. (no dry heat, only wet heat).

The irrigation part is kinda gross but it really, really, really works. Health food stores and Whole Foods and such carry this little pot called a Neti pot. It looks like a little ceramic Alladin's lamp. Short and squat with a long snout. This is what you use for irrigating your sinuses. If you have ear problems, check with your doctor first. This is non-addictive and very safe. It comes with directions, but FYI, you mix a batch of warm salt water and use the pot to pour the solution through your sinus passages. You do this by tilting your head and this funny angle over the sink and putting the spout's end up against a nostril ---pour. You breath through your mouth while you do this. It doesn't hurt and it washes all the extra snot out of your head so you can breath again. When I have a super bad cold, I may do this a couple times a day. It shortens my cold and makes a big difference.

When a friend told me about this, I SWORE I would never, ever do that--it sounded too gross, too weird and too disgusting. But I was desperate since my colds get really bad and I can't take anything, so I tried it. Now, I SWEAR by it.

Also, black tea has a natural decongestant in it, but be sure to buy decaffienated black tea. If you make it with honey and lemon, it is very good for a sore throat.

take care,

Sarah

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 10-01-02 18:05

Sarah,

I had sinus surgery 3 years ago and also swear by the irrigation method. But another method to irrigate, sounds just as gross, I know! Buy one of the large enema bags, like holds 1000 ml or so. Put the saline in there and use the tube attached as your "water hose." It works well and might be cheaper than the Neti pot?

Reenie

Date: 10-01-02 18:40

R

eeww. *grin* yeah, the little pots are from 12 to 16 bucks, but I only have one nose, so it is worth it.

S

Author: Donna Benson (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)

Date: 10-02-02 21:02

Sarah, thank you for the information on the meds. I will pick up some benadryl and it may help me sleep. I have been having problmes sleeping I don't know if it is from the meds or the restless leggs. ( maybe I can do away with the dark circles under my eyes.) I will try to find a neti pot. (or an enema bag, thanks Reenie) I will have to go to the big town to get it. I live in a town with no stop lights and only one store. I don't know which one I would like to find first. They both sound gross. But I have to do something.

I now know why I have to drink a lot of fluids. I also know why I have to give up the coffee. Thank a lot. I needed to know all this stuff.

Have a good day.

Donna

Date: 10-02-02 22:51

Dear Donna,

Anytime. I did a search on google for "neti pot" and it came up with several places to buy them online...here is one....http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/product/neti.html

Don't forget that dark chocolate has a lot of caffience, as does black tea.

take care,

S
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X