If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

myectomy surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myectomy surgery

[myectomy surgery]

Author: john jordan (---.public.lawson.webtv.net)

Date: 09-25-02 22:01

greetings! i have not written recently. i was not near computer for past 9 weeks. i had myectomy and two by passes on july 15. all went well. i entered cleveland clinic on the 15th for surgery and was discharged on the 21st. the mitral and aortic valves were functioning ok once myectomy was done. (you were right on target about that lisa). ive been recuperating at friends for the past eight weeks and have returned home only recently. also, went back to work on the 20th of sept. cleveland clinic was great, dr. asher and dr. smedira were so helpful in preparing me for the surgery and nurses and staff were most attentive after surgery. cleveland clinic is definitely a five star.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: myectomy surgery]

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-26-02 00:43

Dear John,

Congrats on your surgery and recovery!!!! Thanks for letting us know how you are.

So glad you are well!

take care,

Sarah

Author: Millie (---.24.216.150.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.ne)

Date: 10-02-02 18:48

How did you come to the decision of myectomy? My son's thickening of his heart covers the entire left ventricle -- almost in a circular fashion. We've been told that would not be an option for him because you would practically cut the entire muscle. Can you educate me on this?

Author: Elizabeth (---.fuse.net)

Date: 10-03-02 11:24

Dear Millie,

I too have "severe concentric hypertrophy of the left ventricle." This sounds to me to be similar to your son's situation. Basically, the entire left ventricle is too thick (like 2.1-2.5cm are my measurements.) I had a myectomy last year. They only cut away at the top of the septal wall where the hypertrophy or thickness is obstructing the mitral valve. They would never cut out all of the hypertrophy-it would be too risky. Believe it or not, even this partial reduction of thickness drammatically improved my sympoms! I hope this helps you understand a bit more.

Elizabeth

Author: john jordan (---.public.lawson.webtv.net)

Date: 10-08-02 22:06

millie, im not sure all the specifics, my septal wall was 2c and they told me 1.2c was the normal thickness. i found cleveland clinic the experts, the doctor in pitts told me i would need two valves, myectomy and two bypasses, i did not need the valves replaced after the septum was reduced. elizabeth gave a good response. good luck, john
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X