If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

children's results

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• children's results

[children's results]

Author: Rhonda (---.sc.charter.com)

Date: 09-22-02 20:35

Hi all....once again,

My two kids, 3 and 7, had their echos,etc. done 3 weeks ago. My husband has hocm and just had a myectomy last week. My question is about the kids' echos. 7 year old's was perfectly fine. 3 year old's heart was a little different than her big brother's. Her heart was a little thicker all around and a minute amount of thickening at the top of the septum. The Ped. Card. said he wanted to do another check in one year on her to see if there was any more thickening, and if so, then he would "upgrade" his concern and watchfulness. If it looks exactly the same, he said it could just be the way her heart "looks". He said that if he did not know anything about her family, he would say that her heart loooked normal, but since it is different than her brother's (per doctor-"siblings hearts generally tend to look the same") , and since he knows about her father's condition, he wanted to watch it.

I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with their children's check-ups? And does hcm start out this way in a small child? Is there anything I should be looking for....SOB,etc. At this time the doctor said no restrictions for her because she is appears to be a perfectly healthy normal little girl.

Thanks , Rhonda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: children's results]

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 09-22-02 20:39

Rhonda,

My son had a "high end normal" septal measurement when he was 4. He recently had another echo and all is normal. They think his was a little thicker because he's very active and your heart thickens some with exercise like any other muscle. Not hypertrophied, just on the high end of normal. I hope this makes you feel better. By the way, he had no restrictions on his activity either.

Reenie

Date: 09-22-02 20:46

Thanks Reenie! My daughter does tend to be at the "high end " of active most the time! More so than her big bro!

Author: Amy N. (---.tnt3.seymour.in.da.uu.net)

Date: 09-23-02 01:24

Rhonda,

With my son, the pediatric cardiologist originally wanted him to have a repeat echo at 6 months when he showed signs of HCM. My family doctor explained it in a similar way your doctor did, saying it just may be the way his heart looks. But we ended up going to see the pediatric cardilogist because of a possible family link. They put my son on some medicine and now the pediatric cardiologist says come back in a year. He is on no restriction and is really active also. The doctor said trying to limit his activity at his age (19 months) would just upset him and would be impossible. And they really haven't diagnosed him at this point. The doctor said it's just one set of test results.

The waiting is the hardest part. When I had to take my 5 year old to get her echo, I was fine going and doing it - but afterward, it was difficult. Just waiting for the results. Her results were fine, but still I hate the waiting, not knowing, and not understanding. I don't want to be offend anyone, but I also want to make sure my children are getting the best care.

So good luck and hang in there!

Amy

Date: 09-23-02 15:30

Thanks, Amy!
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X