If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardiologist near Flint?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MaryO diagnosed 2000, alcohol ablation 2002, myectomy scheduled 4/2007, cancelled, radio frequency ablation 2010 Find out more about MaryO
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardiologist near Flint?

My younger sister was sharing with me a few days ago that she has been having symptoms that could be signs of HCM. She has never had a thorough screening, and I've suggested she go to Mayo Clinic and have an evaluation.

At this point she does not even have a cardiologist. She lives in Davison, Michigan, and the closest large city is Flint. Does anyone know of a cardiologist in that area who specializes in HCM?

Thanks for your help! Mary
    MaryO

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Diagnosed April of 2000, Septal ablation in 2002, scheduled for Myectomy at Mayo Clinic April 16, 2007, cancelled April 13, 2007 due to disappearance of obstruction and symptoms, radio frequency ablation at Mayo Clinic January 29, 2010 for AVNRT

Re: Cardiologist near Flint?

Mary,

The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (my alma mater, Go Blue) is listed as one of the centers of excellence elsewhere on the HCMA site: http://www.4hcm.org/WCMS/index.php?id=48,65,0,0,1,0. Ann Arbor shouldn't be more than an hour's drive from Davison. The link from the HCMA site is not up to date, but I believe this one will work: http://www2.med.umich.edu/department...d=HCC&recnum=1

So the HCM Clinic at U of M is probably not a bad place to start.

Interesting that I had no idea I had HCM during the time I was in Ann Arbor, many moons ago... then again, their clinic has only been in existence for a short time, I believe.

Best,
    Rich G
    Myectomy and mitral valve repair, April 2007, St. Luke's Hospital (NYC)

Comment

Thanks, Rich! ... I had not noticed the "Centers of Excellence" listed on this site. I talked to Helen today, and sent both links to her. I think she will follow through since it is so close. I appreciate your help.

Blessings.... Mary
      MaryO

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Diagnosed April of 2000, Septal ablation in 2002, scheduled for Myectomy at Mayo Clinic April 16, 2007, cancelled April 13, 2007 due to disappearance of obstruction and symptoms, radio frequency ablation at Mayo Clinic January 29, 2010 for AVNRT

Comment

Hi, Mary

What a small world we live in! I lived in Davison for 25 years before moving north to Sault Ste. Marie, Mi. 4 1/2 yrs. ago. In fact, my cardiologist is in Flint. He's the one that sent me on to Cleveland Clinic, when he found my HCM. You can pm me and I can give you his name and number. Although I did find a competant cardiologist here in the Soo, he transferred to another state; so, I now go back to Flint for my heart checkups. It's a good thing we have family still in that area.

Blessings,
        Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Good Morning Mary,

My hubby Grant sees Dr. Sharlene Day at the U of M HCM office. She is fantastic!!!!!! She would be my first choice. We just saw her this past monday and on the way home we were discussing that we wished some of his other docs were just like her. We live in Saginaw and are happy to make the 1 1/2 hr trip down to see her. I don't think your sister would be disappointed.

Have a great day, Kerry

Comment

Kerry... I sent the info on Dr. Day to my sister, Helen, a few days ago. I was very impressed with what I read about her. Thanks for your confirmation on that.

And Helen says, just as you thought, Rich, that it is just an hour away from her.

Dorothy... thanks for the tip on the doc in Flint. I could be wrong, but I think Flint is actually farther away than Ann Arbor. If things don't work out for Helen with Dr. Day, I'll check with you for the Dr's name and number there.

I just hope Helen will follow through. We talked about how important it is for her children, and grandchildren, as well as her own well being, to be checked and be sure she does not have HCM.

Thanks to all of you for your kind help. Blessings... Mary
            MaryO

Comment

Mary,

I see Dr. Day as well & she is great. I live in Grand Rapids so it is a 2 hour drive, but well worth it.

Jo
              Jo

Comment

Working...
              X