If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pregnant with questions

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant with questions

[Pregnant with questions]

Author: Beth (---.eugene.rio.com)

Date: 09-11-02 17:12

Yesterday I went for my routine 20 week ultrasound and the DR found that the baby's heart looked as if it had septal thickening. I am scheduled to have a level II ultrasound next Wednesday to find out for sure but would like to get some information in the mean time. I don't know if this is the right place to look but any info is helpful at this point. The DR wasn't really willing to answer many questions with out knowing for sure if there is in fact anything wrong. So my question- what does this mean for my baby? Is this something that could be life threatening? Is it treatable? Curable? I have been searching for information about the long term effects with out much luck. Are there any other helpful websites that anyone can recommend?

Thank you for your help.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Pregnant with questions]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-11-02 23:06

Dear Beth,

I forwarded your post to Lisa as I think she has more info --or can perhaps did some up-- on babies and HCM.

There are other disorders that cause enlarged hearts in babies, too, and those should be looked into.

I know this has got to be very scary, but hang in there and learn what you can. I'm sorry this is not something I'm up on.

S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Pregnant with questions]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 09-12-02 19:30

Beth -

You have a rather unusual situation here. You need a fetal echo before you do anything. I will be honest, this may not be very good...but it may not be extremely bad. You need the echo and a consult with a ped. cardiologist... by any chance are you diabetic? That may explain the thickness...if so it normally goes away within the 1st three months of life.

Otherwise..there are MANY other causes.

Take it slow and stay calm, I know your scared...but you have friends here and we are happy to help.

Best wishes,

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X