If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent hospital visit

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent hospital visit

[Recent hospital visit]

Author: Heather Irwin (65.247.157.---)

Date: 09-11-02 10:48

Hi there.......Well, I've been meaning to write and introduce myself. I know some of you and have talked to Lisa on the phone a few years ago. I've been doing relatively well and had a 6 mos. check up w/ my card. two weeks ago that went very well. She said that my measurements hadn't changed and my pulmonary pressures had dropped 10-15 points. I've been feeling great. Going to the gym everyday, except sat. and sun. I walk or ride the bike and do light free weights and circuits. Well, I was so relieved about my appt., but the other shoe dropped Sun. night. I was sitting watching the kids play, at home alone with them.....and all the sudden I could feel my heart beating irradically. I waited a minute hoping it would stop and get back into rythym. NO such luck. I had my mom take me to the ER and they hooked me up to find my heart rate going from 40 to 160, back and forth. They gave me a few doses of cardizem, a BB and I spent the night in ICU to be monitored closely. My dr. started me on a temporary dose of amiderone. Said that my heart was going back and forth from normal sinus rythym to a-fib and was trying to convert, but still hasn't to this point that I know of. I do have a stable HR now, around 70 or so, but I guess the a-fib is still there off and on. I'm going to put a call in to my card. today. She was out of town while all this was going on so we weren't able to reach her, for her opinion. I just think it's really strange for me to be doing so well and then all the sudden.........problems. They said my labs showed my magnesium level was low and that I may have been a little dehydrated, which is possible. I had only had 2 small glasses of water and then ate at a chinese buffet for lunch and had my fair share of sodas...........i know, asking for trouble, and I guess I got it.....I'm just hoping I convert soon.......I don't feel bad, but I am somewhat short of breath........I'll keep ya posted.

Heather-29 non obstructive HCM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Recent hospital visit]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-11-02 12:21

Dear Heather,

I'm sorry that your good streak broke. I know exactly how you feel. If I don't get enough water --pop! Afib!

I take Slow-Mag, an enteric-coated magnesium, every day b/c my mag level is low, too. Regular magnesium will chew up your stomach, so this coated one protects you from the magnesium.

Oh, by the way, cardizem is a calcium channel blocker, not a beta-blocker.

Hang in there and --you don't mention coumadin. If you are in and out of rhythm, you should be on coumadin so you don't have a stroke when you go back into sinus. If they tell you that can't happen --well, I'm living proof and you can e-mail me.

take care

Sarah

Author: Heather Irwin (65.247.157.---)

Date: 09-11-02 15:50

Sarah,

Thanks so much for your reply. They did put me on 75mg of Plavix, which I believe is a mild blood thinner. I have an appt. on Mon. and the dr. said if I'm still having a-fib that he'll then put me on coumadin. Are you on it all the time? Do you go in and out of a-fib? It's been a very scary experience for me, as I'm sure it would be for anyone. I'm feeling good today.

Heather

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-11-02 16:18

Dear Heather,

I was on Norpace for ten years and it worked great and then I had some problems and it stopped working (partly b/c I didn't take it right, probably) and then I went on Tikosyn for the last two years and it stopped working just recently. I'm probably going to try amiodarone now, but they aren't optomistic for me. Afib is very persistant in my family, so don't take my case as a guide. Most people do really well and stay controled.

It is scary, but just take it easy and take your pulse once in a while so you can learn the difference between normal and not and to make sure your heart rate is below 100.

take care

S

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 09-12-02 19:41

Heather / Sarah..

You 2 have a bunch in common ...Funny you remind me of each other on the phone also!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X