If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touching base

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touching base

[Touching base]

Author: Michelle, Emily's Mom (---.hay.net)

Date: 09-10-02 15:03

Thanks to everyone who replied earlier. I've wanted to get back on, but have had a very eventful August, we've had 2 deaths in the family, as well, Emily had a 'spell' at the end of August, which is what I need to discuss.

She has WPW and HCM. This particular day, Em was running around full-tilt with her 9y/o sister, then all of a sudden came to a stop and fell. She got up, cried for about 5 seconds. At this time, I picked her up, and that's when I noticed she wasn't breathing. Then she started to black out. My husband dialed 911, and I placed Em on the floor and checked her BPM thru stethescope, which was down to 42. At this time, she was white as a ghost and blue lips. She started to come around very slowly, and BPM gradually increased. Ambulance came 15 minutes later. Approx 5 minutes later we were discussing which hospital to take Em to, and the heart monitor paramedics put Em on to get a reading started to measure BPM at 180, so off to the closest hospital. She stablized, and we were given another ride to the Kid's hospital in London. Emily slept most of the time during this ride, however at Sick kids, she was fine. The ER PC placed her on a holter monitor (what fun this was for a 2 year old!), and we'll hear results at next PC appt in 2 weeks. ER PC was pretty sure Em had a Vaso-v____ something (I'll know it if I hear the word!), however we need to make sure it wasn't a WPW attack, and that no more damage was created to her heart.

Today and ever since, I still have a VERY active 2 y/o, who still runs around and sings her ABC's and the Barney song, but she does slow down once in a while and sits for about 15 minutes doing absolutely nothing. Then she seems to get up and go about her normal day. These sit downs seem to happen on average about 2-4 times a day, and doesn't matter where she is, at home or babysitter's. Does this happen to anyone else out there? She's only 2, and while her vocabulary is quite large, and she has told me once (today actually) that she had an "owey" and pointed to her heart area, she can't quite tell me if it's tightness or pain ful, or whatever.

She does have a partner in crime, as Barney seems to have the same "oweys" as she does, and in the hospital, Barney had an IV and had tabs for the heart monitor on. What a kid!!

Thanks for the talk, it's good to be back! And yes, Lisa, I did send my address in for info to be mailed to me. Because I live in Ontario, will I still get it?

Thanks,Michelle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Touching base]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-10-02 15:17

Dear Michelle,

It sounds like the ER doctor thinks that she had a fainting spell from compression of the vagal nerve. However, considering your daughter's medical history, you do need to have her checked over very carefully. Did they find any vtach while she was there?

hang in there,

Sarah

Author: Michelle, Emily's Mom (---.hay.net)

Date: 09-10-02 21:12

Hi Sarah,

Yes, Emily had SVT's during her 'episode'.

What is the vagal nerve, and what relation does it have with her heart, and specifically, with WPW and/or HCM?

thanks, michelle

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-11-02 00:02

Dear Michelle

This is from the Cleveland Clinic's web site:

"A vasovagal response is when there is less venous (blood) return to the heart and the amount of blood to the brain is decreased and the results is light-headedness. When we put pressure to have a bowel movement or when we stand-up quickly or when we attain a certain position we can have a vasovagal response. All these result in less blood to the brain. If it is neurogenic, then it is more positional. The brain sends out parasympathic impulses to slow down the heart and therefore there is less blood to the brain. There are certain positions that induces this response. This is specific for the individual.

If the heart rate raises significantly,... one gets syncope (fainting) is likely due to a cardiac problem. The heart is beating so fast, the heart doesn't fill up with enough blood and therefore the brain doesn't get enough blood and the person feels faint.

The condition is usually benign and can be treated by a general physician, neurologist or cardiologist."

From somewhere else: "The vagus nerve is the longest of the cranial nerve. Its name is derived from Latin meaning "wandering". True to its name the vagus nerve wanders from the brain stem through organs in the neck, thorax and abdomen."

Michelle ---SVT is NOT the same as VT!!!! Supra-ventricular tachycardia is the same as atrial tachycardia, and not anywhere near as dangerous as ventricular tachycardia. It really confuses people, I know, but those doctors, what can you do?

Sarah
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X