If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on 18 month old son

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on 18 month old son

[Update on 18 month old son]

Author: Amy N. (---.tnt1.seymour.in.da.uu.net)

Date: 09-10-02 00:19

Today we spent pretty close to three hours at the outpatient center of the local children's hospital. The result being that my son's ekg wasn't normal and the doctor put him on a beta blocker and said he would need antibiotics if he would have to have any dental work done. Things with scheduling my daughter's echo got confused. The doctor still wants her to have one done, but said she could do it at our local hospital to save another trip to Indy. He said that since I'm on the boarderline, that if nothing really showed up with my father at his appointment on Friday that my husband should be checked just to make sure he's o.k. My cardiologist and the pediatric cardilogist have been in communication via letters and phone. I did like this cardiologist and he did seem to be knowledgeable about hcm at least enough for me to feel comfortable with my son having him for a doctor.

Amy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Update on 18 month old son]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-10-02 00:37

Dear Amy,

I'm glad you found someone for you son and he is getting treated. Let us know how your daughter's and dad's tests go.

S

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 09-10-02 00:47

Ok, but I thought kids hardly ever get "normal" ekg's because the machines are made for adults. At least that's what they told me when my kids were screened the first time. My youngest son had an "abnormal" ekg and his septum was "high end normal" but they did nothing. He was 4.5 at the time. I still think you should get another opinion. And I don't like them telling you they will only treat you if your father has HCM. What if it didn't come from him? What if it skipped a generation, or from your mom's side, or, or, or? Sounds fishy to me. Sorry, but just my opinion.

Reenie

Date: 09-10-02 00:49

Dear Amy,

Now that I re-read your post, you mention son's ekg, but not echo --what is the story with that?

S

Author: Amy N. (---.tnt1.seymour.in.da.uu.net)

Date: 09-10-02 00:59

From his echo from the first part of August it says his septum size is 1.04 cm and his LVPW was .492 cm. (I have no clue what the norms are for someone his age/size.) It says something about mild-moderately hypertrophied ventricular septum with otherwise normal LV size and hyperdynamic systolic motion. Findings consistent with mild (early?) hypertrophic cardiomopathy. Orginally before they thought their was/could be a family history the doctor wanted to repeat the echo in 6 months and didn't need to see my son. Then I panicked once I read my son's report and my old echo. My family doctor made an appointment with us to talk to the doctor which ended up being really to take my son. They also did a chest x-ray today, but I don't remember him saying anything about it.

Amy

Date: 09-10-02 02:05

Dear Amy,

It sounds like a good plan to have him on a beta-blocker and the propholactic antibiotics then. I would call Lisa and talk to her about calcium channel blockers, though, just to cover all your bases.

take care

S

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 09-10-02 10:05

Dear Amy,

It sounds like a good bet your little guy should be on meds. I didn't mean to sound calloused in my last post, but it sounded weird at first. I hope you *all* get the care you need. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reenie

Author: Amy N. (---.tnt4.seymour.in.da.uu.net)

Date: 09-10-02 22:35

My son took his first dose of beta blocker tonight. The pharmacy said they can make it sweeter if they need to. (After his reaction, we might need to make it sweeter, but we'll see how we're doing by the end of this bottle.)

Sarah - The pediatric cardiologist did say something about calcium channel blockers, I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it had to do with his age and possible side effects. (Don't quote me on it.) I'm supposed to call Lisa tomarrow anyway, so I'll talk with her then.

My daughter's scheduled for her "heart picture" (echo) tomarrow morning.

Reenie - You didn't sound calloused. I'm a little confused by this all myself. The pediatric cardiologist said something about not wanting to diagnoise my son either because he's only had one set of tests. Yet he puts him on the beta blocker, says he needs the antibiotic, talks about the future with sports, etc. It's almost like the doctors are afraid to label someone. I don't get it, but if that gives me more time to get him more life insurance then that's o.k. with me for now. And maybe I misunderstood him. My mom was with me again, but this time she was the entertainer of the child while I was trying to listen to the doctor. I wish they could just send you a write up of what you discussed. It would make it a whole lot easier.

Amy

Date: 09-11-02 00:03

Dear Amy

You can ask the doctor for a copy of his chart notes on your visit. You are entitled to them. The office can mail or fax them to you.

S
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X