If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ablations

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ablations

[ablations]

Author: Lisa (---.adnap.net.au)

Date: 09-09-02 23:16

Hello from Australia.I have been checking in on your website for a couple of months now, and have found it to be a great wealth of information. Hence my email...

I had been diagnosed with HOCM around 10 years ago. Since the birth of my two girls, I have been getting progressivly worse. Now at the point where my cardiologist has said that I am "in the catagory" to have an a ablation if I want it. Well after considerable amount of research on the internet and a second opinion. I have decided to have it done. My only question is.... (both docs don't seem to keen to answer this) How will I feel after the op? I know I will be sore and in bed for a while ...yadda yadda yadda. But will I be able to climb stairs and not black out? Will I be able to chase my kids around the backyard without having to stop to get my breathe or because of the pain? I don't want to run a marathon. Just want to be "normal" If ever I could. The other point I want to raise is that it seems to me from your forum, that the procedure has been performed numerous times in US, but the only surgeon here in South Australia to perform this has had 7 operations under his belt, and quite a few more assisting in Sydney. Is this enough? Who really knows. I think it is very new in Aust.

Any feedback appreciated from anyone who has had the procedure.

Lisa M

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: ablations]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-10-02 00:46

Dear Lisa,

Well, if your gradient is high, then the septal ablation to reduce your gradient could improve your quality of life quite a bit. I highly recommend reading as much of this message board as you can, go all the way to the beginning and browse through the old postings on ablations as you will find a wealth of information.

As for the doctor situation, 7 is not many. I would try to find someone in Sydney who has more if you can. THere is an HCMA version in Australia, I would talk to them about doctors.

all the best,

Sarah

Author: Thomas (---.his.com)

Date: 09-10-02 09:04

Hi Lisa,

I had an ablation two months ago and in that time I've felt very much the same as I did before the procedure. This is in line with what the doctor told me to expect; it takes the ablated tissue about three months to shrink and form scar tissue after being exposed to the alcohol. The improvement over this time seems to be very gradual but at least the procedure hasn't made me feel worse.

They told me to take it easy for the first few weeks after the procedure but I think that's mainly to protect the site where the catheters entered. I felt ok during that time.

Good luck,

-Thomas

Author: Judy Perkins (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 09-10-02 13:57

I had alcohol ablation two weeks ago at Barnes/Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Every morning I feel a little bit better. I was terribly sore the first week after the procedure (chest wall muscle, etc) but that is going away as I speak. My gradient decreased about 50% by the end of my 5 day hospitalization but I felt 100% better. I can now walk on the treadmill, ride the stationary bicycle, etc without become extremely short of breath, other than the general deconditioning I have due to not being able to exercise at all preceding the procedure. I even mowed my yard yesterday. I walked slowly, didn't push hard and it felt so good to be tired from something other than just walking across the floor. The doctor did said I would probably improve gradually over the next several months. I am still on the Inderal at 50% dosage and feel fine. I go back to work next week. Good luck on your procedure.

Author: Dave (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 09-11-02 23:20

I had the ablation procedure done in 1999. I ran in my 4th 10K road race last April. Got another one coming up in October. My gradient was recorded at well above 100 and since the ablation, has been at zero for the last three years. My cardiologist says I show improvement at every annual followup visit. At my last followup I ran 15:45 on the treadmill. Not bad for a 48 yr old guy !!!

My cardiologist has now done over 400 ablations...I was number 93. I am on my treadmill just about every day. I ruun at speeds of 5.5 - 6.0 MPH. I do about 3-3.5 miles daily unless I'm getting ready to do another 10K.

Good luck and don't worry about the ablation. I was in the hospital for 48 hours afterward and told to stay off my feet for two weeks. After that, I was off to the races.

Dave

Author: Sonja (---.b.003.syd.iprimus.net.au)

Date: 09-18-02 04:08

Hi Lisa

How terrific to see another Aussie on the site, pity you are in South Australia, we are in Sydney.

Do you know what hospital the doctor assisted at and who he assisted in Sydney? What type of ablation is it that you are having? There seems to be many types or phrases ie septal, alcohol etc. When will you be having this done?

My husband is going to Westmead Hospital next week to have Radio Frequency Ablation and an ICD fitted. The Doctor performing these procedures is Dr Thomas.

We understand that alcohol ablation is still very new in Australia and to my knowledge has only been performed once at Westmead but with good results.

These procedures are scary but as you can see from earlier postings and many other messages on the board that results are encouraging.

Sonja

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 09-18-02 13:26

Hi all -

Just little reminder here... regardless of procedure ablation/myectomy... we all still have HCM... running is not recommended- Dave I am sure you love to run, but you are adding a burden to your heart and your heart is still created out of a poor cell structure, this will not fair well for your heart in the future...be careful...

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X