If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOCM vs HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOCM vs HCM

[HOCM vs HCM]

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 09-09-02 11:41

I know that HOCM is obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy versus HCM being non-obstructive. Is it a big deal when the doctors insist on calling HCM "hoakum," meaning how they pronounce HOCM? I keep trying to explain that my husband doesn't have any obstruction. Does it really make any difference or am I just being a stickler? Just wondering. Thanks for letting me ask my dumb questions.

Reenie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: HOCM vs HCM]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-09-02 13:26

Dear Reenie,

It makes a difference in treatment, certainly. It does indicate that the doctor you are speaking of it not totally clued into HCM, as well. I don't think you can be too particular about HCM, but that is just me. Does the doctor really understand thd difference? I'd ask him.

S

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 09-09-02 13:58

Habit... thats how they were taught... you know the story about old dogs and new tricks... same thing

What we are pushing for is the following terms:

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy with obstruction

and

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy without obstruction

lets get rid of IHSS and the list of 40-50 other terms used and lets just stick with the 2 above.

Lisa

Date: 09-09-02 14:10

Thanks, guys. The people who I have mainly run into who insist on calling it HOCM when I said it isn't are the general practitioners who are referring my kids to be screened and the techs who are doing the screening. When I corrected the actual cardiologist who saw my husband, he never said it wrong again. Just irritating to me when they don't really listen to what you're telling them. Maybe "hoakum" is easier to say than H C M? Who knows?

Reenie

Author: Sue Harry (---.208.30.149.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)

Date: 09-10-02 22:25

When I hear our cardiologists talk about "IHSS" it really makes me wonder how well they understand this condition. Mention HCM or HOCM and they look blank or embarassed because they do not really seem to know about it. Also, since I had a chance to review some of my old records from 1-2 years ago I really wonder how well they understand treating HCM. Again, thank God for this site and all the education and support it has provided for so many of us. Thanks Lisa. -- Sue

Author: Amy N. (---.tnt4.seymour.in.da.uu.net)

Date: 09-10-02 22:40

Reenie,

I found it odd that when I went to get my new echo that they had HOCM as what they were looking for and when my sons had his tests yesterday they had VSD.

I just thought maybe they put that down to cover all bases on the testing purposes.

Amy

Date: 09-10-02 23:46

I don't know why the difference, but when I tell the doctor we're looking for HCM I don't say "HCM" I say hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, so they aren't confused. They often say, "Oh, 'hoakum.'" I'm always saying nope, HCM not HOCM. It makes you wonder about the doctor's skills in treating hearts..............

Reenie

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-11-02 00:05

Dear Reenie,

My doctor told me I had HOCM today (someone I've seen for almost two years!!) and when I corrected him, he went back through the chart to see. He is actually a good guy and just forgot, and we had a laugh. I gave him some grief, though, which was fun.

S

Date: 09-11-02 00:35

Good for you! We all need a giggle sometimes.

R
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X