If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to look up symptoms?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to look up symptoms?

[Where to look up symptoms?]

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 09-08-02 19:48

I have a non-HCM question. I know a lot of you are computer savvy and can tell me where I can enter some symptoms and get a list of possibly related conditions. My sister's daughter is having trouble with excessive thirst, only wants water, drinks 100 oz + a day and urinates frequently. She has been to the doctor several times the last couple of months and there is no sugar in her urine, suggesting there is no diabetes. She also has symptoms of precocious (early onset) puberty, so she will be referred to a pediatric endocrinologist very soon. This child is only 5. Like I said, I know this is anything but heart related, but I thought maybe someone would tell me where I can research some of this. Thanks for any help.

Reenie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Where to look up symptoms?]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-08-02 23:20

Dear Reenie

This is the coolest site --you have to register, but it is free. Enter symptoms and run a differential diagnosis. http://www.medical-library.org/mddx_index.htm

Other sites that have good info are mayoclinic.com and intellihealth.com. Good luck and I hope she gets the right treatment.

Sarah

Date: 09-09-02 02:58

Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. So far, from what I've read it seems the two conditions she has may be related. My sister is going to contact the pediatrician Monday to see if she can expedite the consult with an endocronologist. The symptoms my niece seems to be exhibiting sounds like insipidus diabetes, which has nothing to do with blood sugar, but the fact that they urinate frequently and, regardless of hydration, the urine is very dilute. Therefore the patient loses a lot of water. Here is your reason for the excessive thirst. Both precocious puberty and insidus diabetes can be caused by a slow growing tumor that destroys the function of the pituitary gland. I am still researching, but I sure hope they get her to the right doctor soon.

Thanks again.

Reenie

Date: 09-09-02 13:27

Can she just demand an MRI on her brain right away? That would answer the pituitary question asap.

S

Date: 09-09-02 14:07

I don't know what services she can request without any referrals. She was originally going to see the endocrinologist for the precocious puberty, but like I said, the other condition falls in line with her symptoms and "can" be caused by the same thing. She hasn't had a confirmed diagnosis on either condition yet. I'm just trying to help her cover all the bases by helping with the research. I will let you know how it goes with her. Thanks so much for your help.

Reenie

Date: 09-11-02 00:01

Sarah,

It looks like they will do a CT scan sometime soon and will see the pediatric endocrinologist on or before Nov 21. They are telling my sister that it won't hurt anything to wait until November even if she does have both conditions. I'll keep you posted.

Reenie

Date: 09-11-02 00:06

Dear Reenie

GOod luck!!!

S

Date: 09-15-02 14:52

Sarah,

My niece had an MRI this week and it showed nothing abnormal with the pituitary gland. What a relief! They will have an appt with the pediatric endocrinologist in Nov. Thanks for the support.

Reenie
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X