If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veri med microchips

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veri med microchips

Just wanted to see what guys think about this. A part of me thinks it is really cool technology then my "1981" fear factor kicks in. You know what if the government starts using it against me, or what if the book of Revelation is coming true. No not really but I thought it would be a good topic to bring up. What is so ironic is I found out about this technology as a comercial at a Miami Dolphin's football game. Amazing where you find out about new technology!

Unfortunately, you may not be able to prevent a medical emergency. Fortunately, you can prepare.

VeriMed is the first and only FDA-approved patient identification system that uses an implantable microchip. While that may sound like science fiction, it's really down-to-earth, common sense when it comes to your life. About the size of a grain of rice and inserted just under your skin, each VeriMed microchip contains a unique identification number that emergency personnel may scan to immediately identify you and access your personal health information - facilitating appropriate treatment with less delay. VeriMed is there when you need it.

In an emergency, VeriMed is always ready to "speak" on your behalf by quickly providing healthcare professionals with your name and pertinent medical information, which means:

Fast, secure medical information retrieval by authorized healthcare professionals
    Emergency personnel immediately know how to contact your primary physicians and loved ones
    24/7 patient identification in a discreet and private way
    Almost anyone can ultilize VeriMed, including people with:

Chronic Diseases, such as:

Coronary artery disease
    Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
    Diabetes
    Stroke
    Seizure disorders
    Memory impairment, such as:

Alzheimer's disease
    Complex medical device implants, such as:

Pacemakers
    Stents
    Joint replacements
    Organ Transplants

VeriMed Patient Registry

Along with your VeriMed microchip, you also receive a complimentary 30 day use of the Complete Edition of the VeriMed Patient Registry. The VeriMed Patient Registry is the connection between you, healthcare professionals, and your loved ones. Your account profile is established at the time of the insertion procedure and can be modified at any time. You can add important items to your profile, such as a photograph, advanced directives, and links to other sources of medical information.

At VeriChip, we know personal privacy is a concern especially when it comes to personal medical information. That's why we have a Chief Privacy Officer and a privacy policy we stand by.

You can go onto their website it is:

http://www.verimedinfo.com/content/intro/patients

Honestly, can you just not have an identification number on a bracelet? I know my medic alert does not come off. Is it worth it?

Mary S.

Re: Veri med microchips

I'm always reluctant to go any permanent route like this one seems to be. It might be all right for some but I wouldn't want it.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

For me, I carry an ID Medical Bracelet that is engraved with “MED DATA IN WALLET.” In my wallet I have a current drug list including dosages, a list of my hospitalizations with dates and reasons, a list of my doctors, and a DX list. If anything changes it is a simple matter to update the page on my computer and print it off.

Armed this way, and with my wife carrying a duplicate copy, I feel as protected as possible. With a chip I would have to remember to notify them of every change and hope the clerk who posts the information doesn’t screw it up either with my information or by posting somebody else’s to my records. Then I have to worry that the EMT’s and the hospital have the equipment necessary to retrieve the account number from the chip and get the information needed, and finally, I have to be sure that I have the means to let them know that I have a chip embedded, and where it is. If the chip ID and it’s location is on a card or bracelet – what have I gained? Couldn’t the card just carry the ID number? Or even better, as I am doing, why not carry the information in my wallet?
      Burt

Comment

Even leaving aside the issues of whether you really want something implanted, and the "Big Brother" potential, there's still a chicken-and-egg problem:

The chip is only useful if enough EMT's and other care providers have the appropriate readers.

Ambulance companies, doctors and hospitals will only spend the money on readers if enough people have the chips.

My guess is that the general public will view this as too icky, and so there will never be the critical mass needed. In fact, all it takes is one loud privacy advocate advancing a scenario where a malevolent person gets a reader and goes around reading people's arms to get their 16-digit numbers and find out their medical histories, and it'll be game over for this company.

The fact of the matter is, except in some very rare circumstances, wearing an ID with the same 16-digit number (or similar info) around your neck or on your wrist should serve exactly the same purpose. So what's the point of implanting it?

----------

By the way, the same company has also promoted the chip as a way to provide secure building access, and I believe I read somewhere that some of their employees are chipped for that purpose (opening doors and such).

----------

Here's a blog with an extremely anti-VeriChip bias, for their take. Note particularly the photo with the chip itself, and a grain of rice. The chip is actually much bigger.

http://www.spychips.com/blog/verichip/

--Mark (met)

Comment

I did do more research into the device because I had many of the same thoughts as you. It is as easy as an injection. It is reversible. The Emergency Rooms that want the scanning system get them free of charge as well as training on how to look for them. As for myself being an EMT-B I asked my professor and they are now being trained as well that some patients may have this. It will always be located in the Right back Tricep. I looked into how much it costs amazingly only $200. More and more docs than you might think are jumping on boat. I was suprised that even the smaller ER here in Celebration already has the technology to read it.

So why not just put the 16 digit number on a bracelet? Same security reasons as a hacker going around and getting the number from the chip. Accept you have no idea how easy it is to read your med-alert bracelets. I don't know how many times I've been at meetings or talking with friends and a few try to pronounce hcm. So if they can get my diagnosis off of my bracelet why not the digits?

The data base is also quite interesting. Because it holds all of your medical records, surgeries, living will current meds. The cool thing is you can update it on your own and edit it as necessary. It even includes your photo which is nice when you can't talk and in my case in town there is another Mary Sharp. We've both had a lot of identity problems being we both worked at Disney at the same time. Were going to the same school, applying to the nursing program at the same time and eventually worked at the same hospital together. She has gotten my vacation pay, financial aid, and scariest of all once at school they gave her an ID card with her picture and my information. See where I'm getting at?

If we are on the subject of big brother here is another intersting scenario. My roommate said it at first as a joke but later thinking it scared the krap out of me. One night in the ER the guidant rep came in and interrogated my device. My roommate saw the small lap top computer and how easy it was to control what my heart was doing. He asked the tech if he could make the device fire with the machine. The tech raised his eyebrow and said "yes, in case you needed to be cardioverted we can just use the device" The next thing he said is " can I get one on Ebay?" I cracked up at the notion. Then after awhile I was thinking what if? What if someone got a hold of this device all of us with guidant AICDs would be at their mercy. Granted they would have to get close to us but you see what I am getting at.

I believe we still have to trust our health care industry that they would not allow a screw-up like that to happen. I guess we trust them until they do but then what?

Mary S.

Comment

I have a med-id bracelet. For an annual charge my medical can be accessed through their web site, using my access code, which is imprinted on my medical bracelet.

I personally like this idea. I would rather GPS be put in my device. In the event my device fires, emergency personnel is alerted and I can be located.

My fear is a sudden death episode and being alone. I suggested this to medtronic awhile ago. As technology marches on...........

The government is tracking those of us that have devices anyway. We can run but we sure can't hide................

Virginia

Comment

I still haven’t heard a good reason for not doing as I do. My ID bracelet says, “MED DATA IN WALLET” and I keep the latest info there. As a back-up my wife also has a copy of my data and I have hers.

By the way, when I give copies to my doctors they always praise me for having it.
              Burt

Comment

Burt
                I certainly can't give you a good reason not to do as you do because I thought your way of informing whomever needs the info is great so I do the same. I have found that the dosage of my medications change often and it is so easy to go into my computer, make the change and print it out...and..wal..la....an updated medication list in no time.
                Esther

Comment

The problem I see with the wallet card is like Esther. My medication is changing constantly. For me one med is a wonder med for a month then all of a sudden it can almost kill me the next time I take it. So, if the toporol I am taking now decides to bottom my pressure out next week and I forget to change it because I am in the middle of finals and I get sick due to the stress I end up with the wrong med and in a world of trouble.

As an EMT I have also come to realize wallets somehow seem to part from the victim esp purses. Also, if it is a traumatic accident those pants are coming off and the docs can't wait until we go back to the accident scene and search for a wallet.

That happened when I was hit on my bike. They gave me the pain meds before asking me my normal meds I could not remember to literally save my life. So, they gave me nitro for the chest pain and ended up in ICU.

Just a thought.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary, you are right. And that's why I also carry my home phone number and my wife's cell number inside the ID Bracelet - and she carries a duplicate set of listings.

OK, on the other hand, I have my fistula in my right arm so I can't get it injected there - the same as people without a right arm - so they stick it in my left arm and mark that on the card which I keep in my wallet. I then get into an accident and the EMT's cut off my pants and transport me to a hospital. Now, how the heck are they going to know to scan my left arm for the imbedded chip?

I think my way is at least as good as the chip, and it's cheaper and without all the rig-a-ma-role. It's a great idea, but still only half baked. Might just as well have the ID number tatooed behind both ears with the phone number to call, but that would still be more rig-a-ma-role then needed.

The only way I could see it fly would be if it included all the hospital records and all the doctor's records plus all your comments on them. At least that way there would be a full picture - and much more then you could carry with you. Might include x-rays, EKG's, and ECHO's, ultra-sounds plus any other scans. In other words - total, complete records. Then the only problem would be, how to keep unautherized people from seeing it - like for example a nosy employer.
                    Burt

Comment

Actually, it can carry all of your medical data. The implant is in the very high part of your arm and the only way you cannot have it there is if there is no arm there.

$200 isn't too bad being some of the fancy med alerts cost more than that. My docs tell me that I have to carry my EKG around with me now being that I am capable of a normal one. So, it is a thought but hopefully it comes out a little better.

Mary S.

Comment

Even if you think it's a really good idea, and a good piece of technology (personally, I'm with Burt and the low-tech solution for this, but that's not the point I'm goint to make here), here are a couple of other things to consider:

1) the number of people who CURRENTLY have the device implanted, not counting the company's employees, is very small. While the device doesn't look particularly problematic, it's unlikely that there's been any long-term research on how often it needs to be replaced, how reliable it is over the long term, what the incidence of infection is, whether the software is stable, etc. Tiny or not, it's still a medical procedure and a foreign object in your body. And, there's probably very little on how difficult it is to remove once it's been scarred over internally over a number of years.

But let's assume that's OK. Here are two more items:

2) will the general public really go for this? If, at peak, the number of people with these implants is in the low thousands, then even if every EMT/hospital had a reader, the readers are going to start gathering dust because if you rarely get someone with an implant, and given time criticality in an emergency, it just won't pay to check for the implant. Plus, if only in the low thousands, the company is going to go out of business.

If acceptance gets up to the tens of thousands, then there's critcal mass all around. But...

3) ...who says that the "winner" in implanted chips will be THIS company and THIS chip? Although I think they're the first to be FDA-approved, they're not the only company working on implant technology. Plus, there are other technologies coming down the 'pike that are more secure than RFID, so it's entirely possible that 3 years from now, RFID will be obsolete for secure applications. If other companies start to compete, there will be conflicts with protocols, standards, formatting, etc. that'll all need to work themselves out in the marketplace.

--------------

Put this all together, and even if you like the idea of the implant, it still seems to early to be betting on a particular implementation from a particular company. Me? I'd wait until 50,000 or so others had the implant before I considered getting one for myself. And even then, I'd still be hesitant.

Comment

Unfortunatly, we never get the perfect technology the first time around. But, we gotta start somewhere. I am sure there are higher tech biometric technologies out there. At least though RFID uses little to no energy like other technologies do and it in itself does not store your data. As an EMT it takes a seasoned vetern usually to remember to check for the bracelet and many folks bracelets are the fancy decorated ones with a small charm on it and I don't see it. I remember my first year or so I was so wrapped up in my ABC's that I didn't think about a bracelet till being practically at the ER and most times I'm only ten minutes away. Besides which would you rather have me do keep your airway open or bumbling around your wallet for info. If I could scan a number in two seconds and have the dispatcher tell me what I need to know I'd much rather have that.

I'm not saying this is the perfect technology and not something I would do yet due to not having enough people know about it. What I am saying is that at least someone is trying to find a better way for our emergency professionals to get personalized info. Just look at the stories of mis-management in the previous thread. If I could have specific instructions on how to treat me in a database from Dr. Maron on there or a way for them to contact him on my best treatment then I would buy it today.

Of course to me the best feature which can not be used with a bracelet is photo identification. If I was mugged and beaten unconscious and the criminal stole my bracelet and wallet then at least I could be identified. That would be my greatest fear of dying and not being identified.

Mary S.

Comment

Working...
                          X