If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying after surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying after surgery

[Flying after surgery]

Author: sue harry (---.58.235.231.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)

Date: 09-07-02 00:56

I will be at the Cleveland Clinic 9/23 for my first visit to Dr.Lever. I am trying to follow what I have learned from the list and see if I may be a candidate to plan for surgery that same week.At this point I have not discussed this any further with Dr.Lever's office as he has probably just received all my records for review the past day or two. With what I have learned most recently from Jerry and Lisa, patients are discharged if all goes well in 5 -7 days. A friend asked me if I would be allowed to fly so soon after surgery. Can anyone tell me anything about this? I live in Florida and it takes about 2 and 1/2 hours to get home.Because of so much still being up in the air I bought a airplane ticket that the dates can be changed and I won't be charged even if I have to change return dates several times.

Also how soon do you have to go back for a post-op check up? Seems I recall someone mentioned a standard 6 week check up. I might consider staying with relatives in Michigan - they are about 6 hours by car from Cleveland.

Thanks -- I appreciate whatever anyone can share with me. ------ Sue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Flying after surgery]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-07-02 01:42

Dear Sue

Your best bet is to talk to the CC about this -I'm sure they deal with it all the time.

I know someone here was told that they need to walk around every 2-3 hours, but your flight time isn't longer than that, so that part is not a concern at least. I don't know of any other reasons except that you might want a wheelchair so you don't have to walk a long way in the airport.

good luck,

S

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 09-07-02 09:03

Sue,

The Cleveland Clinic info says you need to get up and walk every hour. Dr. Smerida told us you could push that alittle. You can travel immediately. As for follow-up I am doing most everything locally. I will go back once a year to Cleveland for general follow-up, but surgical follow-up will be done in Indianapolis. I did agree to be part of a study where they want to take pictures of me in 3 months, so I will go back for that.

Jerry

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 09-07-02 10:25

Check with CC after your procedure for details re travel, you should be fine with the plans you have made.

Jerry is the new "expert" here...but there are plenty others with similar experience...chime in please!

Best wishes!!!

Lisa

Author: Amelia Haynes (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 09-07-02 12:16

I think we all should be very flexible when we go to Cleveland, or any away from home location, for our medical care. Since my husband and I are seniors Dr. Lever was insistent that we remain in Cleveland for at least a couple of days following my surgery last October. There were unanticipated problems with excessive fluid which did not leave my body as quickly as it should have and with pain medication making me deathly ill, so even though I was released from the hospital on Thursday we did not leave Cleveland to fly home to Texas until Monday afternoon. With no complications, I believe Dr. Lever would like for you to remain in Cleveland outside the hospital for possibly two nights. I, like you, had tickets that could be changed not once but several times over the time frame. We found that, I believe it was Continental Airlines, had a medical emergency ticket and we were so glad we had taken advantage of this curtesy. With a letter signed by Dr. Lever and faxed to Continental, we were able to buy the tickets at the airport as we were departing. This is something others might keep in mind. Of course you need to check it out to avoid possible disappointment.

My prayers for you are for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Amelia Haynes

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 09-07-02 12:33

Amelia,

Good point. While I was ready to leave for home when I got out of the hospital, I was in longer than the "standard". The book says 5-7 days but I was there 8 days. We had also thought of staying over 1 night if it had been late in the day when we left. The guest house was great in working with us since we kept increasing our stay. Flexibility is very important.

Jerry

Author: Ada (---.netcarrier.net)

Date: 09-07-02 14:23

Sue,

I was released from the hospital five days after my myectomy (at Mayo) and flew home two days later. My travel home took about 10 hours and three planes. I ran into some complications at one of the airports and was not able to get a cart or wheel chair and ended up having to run quite a distance to catch my next plane. Though I made it home fine aside from being exhausted, this was certainly not an ideal situation. It's very important to be careful while your sternum is healing. Some things you may want to consider:

You will not be able to carry much (I was told nothing over 5 lbs for six weeks--even my purse is heavier than that!), so it is very important that you have people lined up to help carry your luggage.

A wheel chair or one of those airport carts is very helpful. You may want to check with the airline head of time to confirm that these things will be available to you and even notify the crew on the plane that you just had surgery. You might be able to board the plane first. The last thing you want after open heart surgery is people bumping into you as they rush to get on the plane and store their luggage.

Pay attention to your medication schedule. It's easly to loose track of time while traveling. Make sure your medications are easily accessible to you and that you have water available.

I was told to be sure to get up and walk around every two hours--even if it was just a lap up and down the isle of the plane.

Hope this is helpful! Good luck at Cleveland. I'll be praying for you.

Ada

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-07-02 21:11

Dear Ada

That is some great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is one for the FAQ, Lisa.

S

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 09-07-02 21:48

Yes dear...

lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X