If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new ? on HCM Summit

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ? on HCM Summit

[new ? on HCM Summit]

Author: Paul Murphy (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 09-05-02 22:26

OK Lisa, you sold us on the upcoming HCM international summit in Minneapolis. One of us (probably Elizabeth) will definitely be there. It does sound like an amazing conference, and in case anyone's interested and hasn't seen the brochure on the conference, you can look at the specific programs/lectures offered by going to :

http://www.futuraco.com/maron2002_new.htm

and clicking on programs.

I have a question about the conference fee: I would assume we, as patients/family of patients, would register as "Residents, Fellows, Nurses, and Other Allied Personnel" for $250, as the only other option is for "Physicians and Industry". Would Futura want to offer a HCMA member discount?

Paul

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: new ? on HCM Summit]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-06-02 00:52

Dear Paul,

I didn't even ask about a discount, but when I told them I wasn't anything but a regular person, they did not offer a price break.

Let me know if you get a discount!

S

Author: Matt (---.disney.com)

Date: 09-06-02 08:03

Sarah,

You're not just a regular person. You are an extra ordinary person! When you go, tell Dr. Maron I said hi. Thanks.

Matt

Date: 09-06-02 10:39

Dear Matt,

<blushing/> Jeez, Thanks! Matt. That is a very nice thing to say. (I assume you mean the Big Guy and not MM, or should I say "hi" to both of 'em?)

How are you doing? And how the heck do you stand the summer in FL???

S

Date: 09-06-02 11:47

Sarah,

Yeah I meant the "Big Guy", but say hi to both since I met both at the meeting. As far as summer in Florida, I have just 2 letters for you - A/C!

I'm hanging in there. CIGNA assigned me a caseworker yesterday so it looks like I finally have a hospital lined up for my transplant - Jackson Memorial in Miami. The first two hospitals my cardiologist requested/referred me to were turned down. So I guess within a few weeks I'll go for the evaluation at Jackson. It's a good thing it's not that important or I'm not in any hurry or anything, huh?

This is where the saying "hurry up and wait" really fits. At least I have my ICD now and I have my first "data download" in 2 weeks. Curious to see if there have been any/many events.

Thanks. Matt

Date: 09-06-02 14:36

Dear Matt

Is Jackson Mem good at transplants? I'm glad you are hanging in there.

I'll be sure to send your regards to the Mighty Marons.

S

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 09-07-02 10:56

Hello all.... I wish I could set the pricing...but I can not...I would suggest this and Jacque is gonna kill me..

When you call Futura to registar...ask them to ast Jacque Strauss if there is a discount for patients. (He is the big boss)

He is going to be made at me for that one...but what the heck

Lisa

Author: Mary Sharp (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 09-07-02 23:02

Matt,

I wish you all the best! If you ever need a riding buddy to go down there give me a call! I know sometimes It gets tough finding people to go with you to the Dr. especially when its a long way a way!

Also did you try Shands for your transplant? If so then I don't understand how I am getting treatment there unless our plans are really that different. If that is the case I strongly recommend the Aetna POS plan! I go to Shands all the time and have had no problems as of yet with any referals. Keep your fingers crossed for this referral because it is the big one. You also don't get stuck with that previous condition clause. If I am not mistaken our open enrollment is in November. Well I will probably talk to you on Monday!

Mary

Date: 09-08-02 00:41

Mary,

I just got a brochure in the mail today about changes in our benefits. Disney is no longer having AETNA POS, CIGNA POS or AETNA HMO as options next year. The will only offer the CIGNA HMO, MED/90, MED/80 and MED/75 plans. Woo Hoo! We've got some reading to do and questions to ask when we get the more detailed information.

CIGNA approves Shands for other procedures and transplants, but not heart. Shands and Tampa General were the others I tried first. My case manager informed me that Jackson Memorial in Miami is the only hospital they approve in Florida for heart transplants. The good news is it's supposed to be a good one. They do over 20 heart transplants each year.

Matt

Date: 09-08-02 03:12

FYI:

Thanks to the Health Care Reform Act of 1996, as long as you have had insurance for the previous 12 months, you can change plans for any reason and can not (repeat: NOT) be denied coverage for preexisting conditions and they can't put any wait period in for one either.

S

Date: 09-08-02 11:53

Matt and the rest of the Mickey Mouse Club,

If your prior carrier approves treatment the new carrier can NOT withdraw the treatment...this is because you are going from 1 group plan to another and your employer is making the change. They must keep you "whole" ,unless they choose to cancel all coverage ...then well thats really bad so lets not go there.

Without looking at the plans I would say the MED/90 sounds best but look at the details...

the devil is always in the details!

Lisa

Date: 09-08-02 13:08

FYI:

Just to clarify, this is true of all people in the US moving from group plan to group plan --right, Lisa?

S

Date: 09-08-02 13:20

Not always...group plans differ based on several issues ...size of employer and state are 2, but basicly it holds true for most plans. Individual plans are an entirely different story!!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X