If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart Screening Efforts-Next Event Manhattan, KS 9...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Screening Efforts-Next Event Manhattan, KS 9...

[Heart Screening Efforts-Next Event Manhattan, KS 9/29]

Author: Sharon (---.ph.ph.cox.net)

Date: 09-03-02 12:36

Just got back yesterday afternoon from my drive to/from Manhattan, KS for the K-State opening season football game. I left Phx on Wednesday afternoon and arrived Manhattan on Thursday afternoon. I stopped for a four hour rest somewhere in Texas right after I got a speeding ticket for going 6-miles over the speed limit. It was 2:00 a.m. and the cop wasn't very nice.

When I arrived in Manhattan, I went right to a street party in downtown Manhattan. Coach Snyder and the football captains and seniors were on stage later in the evening to talk to a crowd of about 25,000 people. Coach spent about two minutes at the beginning of his speech talking about Anthony. For those of you that don't know my son, Anthony died from undiagnosed HCM 7/31/00. Anthony was a football player at Kansas State University at the time of his death. But, more important than all that he was a young person at the beginnign of his life. It was really great for us and our efforts with the heart screening programs to get Coach Snyder's public support. Before he spoke I mentioned to a TV station that I thought he was going to speak about our up coming heart screening event, but I wasn't sure what he would say. The news-lady asked me to come back to their truck/area the next day so they could get some video footage to broadcast closer to our event date (September 29th).

When I went back the next evening she was so excited to see me and that is when I found out Coach spent two minutes talking about Anthony and our efforts. She said they were going to interview me and put in on that evenings news show! My stomach started doing flip flops and I was nervous to do the interview. I got through it and didn't choke up too much. First, I talked about Anthony and then we were able to spend some time on encouraging people from the ages of 14-40 to attend our next heart screening event in Manhattan, KS. I also gave acalades to our volunteer base at Kansas State University (Alpha Kappa Psi organization) and the local cardiologist, Jim Hurtig, as well as other volunteers that assist in our successful events.

I made a lot of contacts while I was in Manhattan. Schlotzky's Deli Restaurants is sponsoring (underwriting) heart screening efforts in Austin, Texas. So, I approached the manager of the local Manhattan restaurant and asked for him to pull in some of their corporate support for our local efforts in Manhattan. He was real excited about helping. I will meet with him on my next trip to KS to follow up on his progress.

While I was at the street party, I met several people that will be key to our success in Manhattan. The owner/operator of a juice business, NutriJoy. He wants to donate proceeds from the sale of his product at our heart screening events. Definitely a win, win for both of us.

I also met one of the local school board members. I told him about our heart screening and the new campaign we are starting to raise money to place AED (automatic external defibrillators) units in all the high schools in Manhattan, plus other largely populated areas, like the football stadium, etc.

At the Western Kentucky vs. K-State football game on Saturday, I sat next to what seemed like a regular guy. Turns out he works for Alcoa Corporation. His words, "they have deep pockets, so I am sure we can get some help for your efforts." That would be nice to pull in some large corporate sponsors so that our time can start realizing our full potential. There are so many other ways to build our efforts but our paying jobs keep getting in the way. Lisa and I are both hoping for the day to be able to make this a full time effort on both our parts.

Looks like K-State football will have a good year, but we can't tell that by one game. The final score, 48-3, for K-State of course. I plan to attend a few more games this year. I will be flying back to KS next weekend. My friend, Minette, donated an airline voucher. She won't be able to use it before it expired so she is giving it to me. The football game is in the evening on Saturday, so I will be flying into KC sometime in the morning and driving the two hours to Manhattan to make the start of the game, 6:10 p.m.

On Monday, I will be doing a presentation to the Manhattan High School Football Booster club. Trying to get the involvement of their organization so that we can have more high school student athletes at our next heart screening. Some of the parents and some coaches have been publicly rejecting our efforts and they don't think it is necessary for their kids to be screened. I am sure that most of the kids at MHS are going to be fine, but there are some kids and adults we will find have undiagnosed heart problems. So far are statistics show 20% of the people in our screenings are coming up with heart abnormalities and need further evaluation. Out of the 600/Just got back yesterday afternoon from my drive to/from Manhattan, KS for the K-State opening season football game. I left Phx on Wednesday afternoon and arrived Manhattan on Thursday afternoon. I stopped for a four hour rest somewhere in Texas right after I got a speeding ticket for going 6-miles over the speed limit. It was 2:00 a.m. and the cop wasn't very nice.

When I arrived in Manhattan, I went right to a street party in downtown Manhattan. Coach Snyder and the football captains and seniors were on stage later in the evening to talk to a crowd of about 25,000 people. Coach spent about two minutes at the beginning of his speech talking about Anthony. It was really great for us and our efforts with the heart screening programs to get his public support. Before he spoke I mentioned to a TV station that I thought he was going to speak about our up coming heart screening event, but I wasn't sure what he would say. The news-lady asked me to come back to their truck/area the next day so they could get some video footage to broadcast closer to our event date (September 29th).

When I went back the next evening she was so excited to see me and that is when I found out Coach spent two minutes talking about Anthony and our efforts. She said they were going to interview me and put in on that evenings news show! My stomach started doing flip flops and I was nervous to do the interview. I got through it and didn't choke up too much.

I made a lot of contacts while I was in Manhattan. Schlotzky's Deli Restaurants is sponsoring heart screening efforts in Austin, Texas. So, I approached the manager of the local Manhattan restaurant and asked for him to pull in some of their corporate support for our local efforts in Manhattan. He was real excited about helping. I will meet with him on my next trip to KS.

While I was at the street party, I met several people that will be key to our success in Manhattan. The owner/operator of a juice business, NutriJoy. He wants to donate proceeds from the sale of his product at our heart screening events. Definitely a win, win for both of us.

I also met one of the local school board members. I told him about our heart screening and the new campaign we are starting to raise money to place AED (automatic external defibrillators) units in all the high schools in Manhattan, plus other largely populated areas, like the football stadium, etc. I was even fortunate to meet the manager of the local airport and he wants to buy AED's for the airport but will wait for us so we get credit for the sale of the units.

At the Western Kentucky vs. K-State football game on Saturday, I sat next to what seemed like a regular guy. Turns out he works for Alcoa Corporation. His words, "they have deep pockets, so I am sure we can get some help for your efforts." That would be nice to pull in some large corporate sponsors so that our time can start realizing our full potential. There are so many other ways to build our efforts but our paying jobs keep getting in the way. Allen and I are both hoping for the day to be able to make this a full time effort on both our parts.

Looks like K-State will have a good year, but we can't tell that by one game. The final score, 48-3, for K-State of course. I plan to attend a few more games this year. I will be flying back to KS next weekend. My girlfriend, Minette, has a voucher for Southwest Airlines that will expire by the end of the month if it is not used. She won't be able to use it so she is giving it to me. The football game is in the evening on Saturday, so I will be flying into KC sometime in the morning and driving the two hours to Manhattan to make the start of the game, 6:10 p.m.

On Monday, I have to do a presentation to the Manhattan High School Football Booster club. Trying to get the involvement of their organization so that we can have more high school student athletes at our next heart screening. Some of the parents and some coaches have been publicly rejecting our efforts and they don't think it is necessary for their kids to be screened. I am sure that most of the kids at MHS are going to be fine, but there are some kids and adults we will find have undiagnosed heart problems. So far are statistics show 20% of the people in our screenings are coming up with heart abnormalities and need further evaluation. Out of the 600+ heart screenings we have 1 positive diagnosis of HCM. Hmmm, makes me wonder why we get any resistance at all.

On my return trip to Phoenix, I left Manhattan at 11:00 a.m. and gained two hours right away because of the time difference. I did stop overnight in Moriarty, NM, right outside of ALBQ. The next day my drive was only 8 hours. I hit some of the holiday traffic when I drove through Payson. Even though I was tired, it made the trip seem less strenuous than driving straight through. Plus, all that time in the car, helped me organize my next months priorities.

Keep on, Keeping on!

Sharon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Heart Screening Efforts-Next Event Manhattan, KS 9/29]

Author: Board Moderator-Sarah B. (---.90.64.58.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)

Date: 09-03-02 17:51

Dear Sharon,

Fantastic!! Get some rest, woman! I'm glad things are rolling; you are fighting a good fight. But don't forget to breathe and know that all of us at home are pulling for you and we appreciate your efforts.

S

Author: Diane (---.networksplus.net)

Date: 09-04-02 03:09

Sharon,

Thanks for the info on the screening at K-State. Do you know where it is going to be held and what time of day?

Diane

Date: 09-04-02 10:26

Hello Diane,

Our event will be held on the Kansas State University campus in the Student Union center (right off of Anderson). The screening will be running all day 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The morning will be dedicated to screening KSU athletes and the afternoon will be open to the public.

Sharon

Date: 09-09-02 00:12

Sharon,

Thanks for the screening info.

Do you remember meeting a girl named Amy at K-State, grandfather had IHSS. This could have been as long ago as '99 - 2000 school year?

Diane

Date: 09-11-02 00:21

Hello Diane,

I do remember meeting Amy at K-State. I was hoping we could stay in touch. Is she a relative of yours?

Sharon

Date: 09-12-02 00:09

Hi Sharon,

Amy is my daughter and I'm hoping she will come to the screening on the 29th. She did have an EKG before high school and the cardiologist didn't see anything abnormal then (her doctor wouldn't release her for high school sports without one since there was a history of HCM in the family).

Thanks again for the info.

Diane

Author: Matt (---.disney.com)

Date: 09-12-02 17:39

Sharon,

Do you have any other screenings lined up after K-State? Thanks a bunch.

Matt

Date: 09-12-02 23:32

Hello Matt,

At this time our next screening is tenative. I have been speaking with a large school district in the Phoenix area (35,000 students, K-12). We would like to do a screening there in January, but they would like me to do their screening in May around Pre-Participation Sports Physicals. Everyone would like to have their "Free Screening" at the same time. I am hoping we can work something out.

Where are you located?

Sharon

Date: 09-13-02 07:57

Hi Sharon,

I am located in Florida, but my kids live in Prescott during the school year so Phoenix would be perfect. I am concerned because their last Echo was 2 years ago and we just found out that they are no longer covered under their mother's insurance. I can't have insurance for them because I don't have custody.

My son is 13 and daughter is 16, and the technician at the time of their last Echos said that Nicole had a slight murmer. She brushed it off saying that a lot of girls do at that age. And Jonathan is pretty active in sports (roller hockey being his current flavor). Neither show symptoms.

I guess we could wait until January, but I definitely don't want to push it off until May. We're just trying to figure out what to do at this time. I am worried about them, but both parents are pretty broke at this time, but of course I'll beg, borrow or steal to get their exams if I have to.

Thanks for your info. Matt

Date: 09-13-02 10:34

Hi Sharon,

How do you go about approaching a school district about a screening? Even though Amy goes to K-State we live in Lawrence (home of those Jayhawks). What can I do to help you?

Diane

Date: 09-13-02 14:36

Hello Matt,

I remember emails from you a few months ago about your children and hopes for a screening in Phoenix. Sorry we can't have one sooner! Keep your eyes on the board, if something opens up in the Phoenix area, you know I will post a message for you and everyone to see.

Sharon

Date: 09-13-02 14:40

Hello Diane,

If you would like to be an advocate for our heart screening efforts, I can send you some info to take to the high school Football Booster Clubs. I have had a wonderful response from these organizations and they make it possible for us to be hosted at their school. Their club also supplies us with a great volunteer base to make our events successful.

After the Football Booster club invites us to their school, then I approach the school board. Most people are very receptive to a FREE Echocardiogram Screening.

Thank you for your support.

Sharon

Date: 09-13-02 14:48

Sharon,

Could you also send me the info to bring to the Football Booster Club. I would like to do one locally because Florida is terrible for HCM peoples. Plus this hot & humid weather doesn't help our athletes any.

Thanks a bunch. Matt

Date: 09-13-02 23:46

Hi Sharon,

Yes, I would like to help. If you would like to email me at [email protected].com and let me know what I need to do and know, I'll be glad to do what I can.

Diane
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X