If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maze procedure

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Darek Find out more about Darek
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maze procedure

Has anyone had a maze procedure performed on them here? It turns out that my persistant aatrial flutter is caused by an enlarged left atrium (thanks to HCM) and two ablations have failed thusfar. I cannot live with this flutter and I read where a Maze procedure has great success rates in both elimating flutter as well as decreading the size of the left atrium.

Re: Maze procedure

There are a few people here who've had mazes and I'm sure they'll find your post or you can use the Search function (the link is in between New Posts and Quick Links on the red link bar) to find all the posts about mazes, which you would probably find very helpful.

i am in atrial fibrillation and talked to three surgeons this year about having a maze done on myself. please PM me for more info. you don't say where you are. i talked to doctors in MN, VA, and IL.

I have never had an ablation and i considered both the mini-maze (via catheter) and the complete maze via open heart surgery. i talked to guys who do them via laser and one who does cut & sew (the older technique).

i decided not to have anything done because nothing is going to let me go off of coumadin and the success rate is about 80% for the full maze. but that is a short term number. they can't say if you will be afib-free five years later. that 80% is based on ten mazes done on HCM patients at Cleveland over the last five years. there is a paper floating around somewhere about it.

You need to understand that there is a VAST difference between a Maze on someone who only has afib/flutter and someone who has HCM with afib/flutter. it is much harder with HCM b/c the HCM heart muscle does not want to retain normal rhythm because it is not smooth like it is supposed to be.

The surgeon who does about two Mazes a week (more than anyone else in the country) has only done three HCM mazes TOTAL. Mazes on HCMers are usually done in conjunction with a myectomy as well.

Every case of HCM is different, so you really need to see a couple of surgeons and get their opinions on YOUR heart. FYI: The Mayo Clinic thinks my heart is very interesting, even for an HCM heart. So the right decision for me is not necessarily the right decision for you.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize so few procedures were done with folks with HCM. I read where the Maze can actually shrink the size of the left atrium so I thought that would me not go into flutter so much.

Comment

it doesn't "shrink," as i understand it. however, the action of being in afib/flutter does force the atria to expand over time, so being in normal rhythm will prevent your atria from getting bigger. in addition, in a traditional cut & sew maze, they would probably end up making the atrium smaller just by virtue of the technique. they also cut out something called the left atrial appendange which is a little nook where 90% of all clots form in the heart.

it is easier to maintain normal rhythm when the atrium is the right size, however, that is not a guarantee since the muscle can never be made smooth (unless some gene therapy in the way way way distant future comes through--for now it is just a hope).

ss

Comment

Darek,

I have had three radio-frequency ablations due to a-fib/flutter. I also have HCM. I have now been a-fib/flutter free for over a year. What a great feeling. I know that it may not be the answer in the long run; but am happy for the results I've had thus far. My myectomy and all three ablations were done at The Cleveland Clinic. Do the research, ask the questions, then make the decision that is right for you. Good luck.
          Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Working...
          X