If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fly or drive home?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly or drive home?

[Fly or drive home?]

Author: Rhonda (---.chartersc.net)

Date: 08-31-02 20:43

Hi all,

my husband is scheduled to have a myectomy/ mitral valve repair in a couple of weeks. He wants to drive( me drive, of course) -which is fine- but was told it would be better to fly home afterwards. We live about 9 hours away from the Cleveland Clinic. My husband thinks he will be fine reclining in the seats in the van, sleeping most of the way home, and says that it will take aprox. 6 hours to get home by plane anyway-including luggage pick up time, layover time, drive home from the Charlotte airport time.

Has anyone driven home after this surgery? I will be doing the driving, of course.

Question number two is how long aproximately would the hospital stay be after the surgery. I was told 5-7 days, but curious if that is about the "norm" stay ?(barring any complications, of course)

Thank you, rhonda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Fly or drive home?]

Author: Ada (---.netcarrier.net)

Date: 08-31-02 20:56

Hi, Ronda,

I was in the hospital for six days with no complications. Two days after I was released, I had a long difficult day of travel home. I had three planes. Then I had a two hour car ride. Though I was exausted from the travel, I did not have any difficulty with the planes or the car ride. Of course, everyone is different.

If you do drive, make sure you schedule frequent rest stops. It's important after the myectomy that your husband get up and walk around about every two hours.

Best wishes,

Ada

Author: Board Moderator: Sarah Beckley (---.28.33.97.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)

Date: 09-01-02 01:12

I think the everyone is different really applies here. Hubby may even feel more comfortable if he can lie down on the van floor with his own pillow and blankie.

S

Author: Jerry Salzman (192.35.79.---)

Date: 09-01-02 04:57

Rhonda,

The official book here at the clinic tells you to stop every hour and walk 10 minutes if you are driving. We asked Dr. Smedira and he said every 2 hours is fine, so it really depends on the patient. On hospital stays you eventually get to the point you do not care when they will release you because you know you will leave when ready. They are pretty quick at releasing so 5-7 days can be correct. I have been here 5 days now and even with my early issues on pressure, I am now close to leaving. However, I no longer even ask when, I drove 6 hours because I wanted it done right, pushing to leave too early would just be plain stupid.

Jerry

PS you will note that a computer is available on the patient floor, it can get bust though, I got through because it is 4:45 am.

Author: Rhonda (---.sc.charter.com)

Date: 09-01-02 14:33

Thank you for your responses! I think we have pretty much decided to drive. My husband assures me that the way we are going there will be a Starbucks every so often!

Glad you and Lynn are doing so well. It is an encouragement to us!

Good health to all- Rhonda
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X