If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS IT HCM OR OLD AGE?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS IT HCM OR OLD AGE?

[IS IT HCM OR OLD AGE?]

Author: CLAUDIA LIVINGSTON (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 08-28-02 21:41

JUST WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS PROBLEMS WITH THEIR MEMORY? I REALLY AM STARTING TO WORRY ABOUT MINE. IT SEEMS TO GET WORSE ALL THE TIME. I AM A BOOKKEEPER AT A CREDIT UNION AND IT IS EMBARRASING BECAUSE I FORGET THINGS SO EASILY. SOMEONE WILL CALL AND TELL ME SOMETHING AND A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER I WILL CALL THEM AND ASK THEM WHAT THEY DISCUSSED WITH ME IN THE EARLIER CALL. MAYBE I'M JUST GETTING OLDER AND HAVE TOO MUCH ON MY MIND, BUT I'M ONLY 47 AND NEVER CONSIDERED THAT OLD!!!!! OF COURSE IF I LIVE TO BE 90 I WON'T THINK THATS OLD EITHER!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: IS IT HCM OR OLD AGE?]

Author: Dora J (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 08-28-02 22:01

Hi Claudia,

What medications are you taking? If you read the threads from before there are places where we have discussed the problem of having memory shortage since we are on certain medication.

Dora J

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 08-29-02 00:24

Also, do you drink diet sodas? I have a friend who reacted to the Nutrasweet and couldn't remember a phone # long enough to look it up and dial it. She had to cross reference each digit while dialing. Within 2 weeks of stopping the diet soda she had most of her short term memory back. Just a thought.

Author: Sarah B.-Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 08-29-02 02:38

Hi

beta-blockers effect your short term memory. I found that using a newer one helped a little bit but mostly I just write everything down or put it in my palm pilot. Stress can make you forget very easily as well adn the combination is really bad.

Many, many people (even those not medicated) keep a log of their phone calls and what was said. ACT! is a great piece of software that has templates for this (it is a very fancy contact manager --act.com) or you can simply type it up or use a pad of paper. Sales managers are always tracking what was said in each phone call.

If this is your only memory issue, it sounds pretty normal to me, actually.

take care,

Sarah

Author: Glen (---.com)

Date: 08-29-02 08:09

Claudia, I have been told by my HCM Doc that it is the beta blockers. I friend of mine was taking beta blockers for her blood pressure and she got so bad she had to go onto something other than beta blockers, it improved when she got off them.

My wife gets a laugh out of me because I am constantly asking her what was I looking for.

I do a lot of wood working, such as furnature making etc. as well as house renovation and building for myself and friends. I am constantly looking for tools I just used and forgot where I put them down.

I think my friends think I'm bumbling idiot sometimes.

Good luck

Glen

Author: Annette (---.neave01.pa.comcast.net)

Date: 08-29-02 21:52

I am so glad I read this message tonight. My one friend keeps teasing me about how I so easily forget things. Now I can tell her I have a perfectly legitimate reason for forgetting and it has NOTHING to do with my age since I am still a very young 51.

Author: Dave Johnson (---.lr.anc.net)

Date: 09-02-02 12:14

Hi - I'm new here (first post). I don't think I'm old enough to be losing my memory yet (31) but I found that every time I increase my Atenolol (even slightly) I go through about a 3 month period where I forget everything. I can usually adjust and take extra precautions by writing things down more, putting more calendars around the house, etc. The last time I increased was the worst when I went from 100mg to 150mg daily - I was driving to pick my wife up from work (in Little Rock) and ended up halfway to Memphis and had no idea where I was - pretty scary. Luckily I had a cell phone and could call and describe my surroundings to my wife who got me back on the right track. I didn't drive for a few weeks after that until I had adjusted a bit better.

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 09-02-02 13:38

Dear Dave

I took atenolol for about two or three years and it was the worst for my memory. I switched to toprol and now corgard (metoprolol and nadolol) and both are much much much much better. Atenolol made me crazy. I would forget what had been said five minutes before, over and over. That has never happened to me on nadolol and I take a lot more of it than I did of atenolol.

I would talk to your doctor about switching.

S
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X