If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wanted to share..

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to share..

[Just wanted to share..]

Author: Joanne (---.cache.telstra.net)

Date: 08-20-02 08:54

Hi,

MY name is Joanne.. I'm 26 years old, and live in Newcastle, Australia.

Coming up on the 23rd of August is the 4 year anniversary of the death of one of the dearest friends I have ever had, Cassy. She was only 19 years old when she became ill with what appeared to be some sort of 'flu' and within a week, her heart, which could not cope, stopped. She was resuscitated, but within less than 24 hours it happened again and she went into a coma.

Cassy had been diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy about 18 months - 2years before this happened... She was in and out of hospital all week becuase she felt so ill and was vomiting everyday, but they kept sending her home and telling her to take mylanta (I have no clue why they would advise that).

Cassy and I used to talk on the telephone everyday. I met her because she was engaged to be married to my brother. I was going to be their bridesmaid, and she was so happy that we would become 'sisters'!

As you can imagine, my brother, who was 21 at the time was devastated. He has a new life now, with his new gf Melissa, who is just as special, and they have 2 children, whichh have filled his life with joy again, but this time of year always takes it's toll on us.

Mostly I miss the friendship Cass and I had. I took it for granted at the time, but she was one of the best friends I have ever had, and I miss her dearly. She was one of those amazing people that care unconditionally for others, and was always taking time to make people smile, though most of the time she was jsut being her usual happy self.

When she died back in 1998, I did search on Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, but didn't really find a great deal. I think the main thing I found was some information from a booklet that I already had.

I just want to say that I think your website is wonderful, and lets hope that research continues to provide some answers..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Just wanted to share..]

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 08-20-02 10:25

Joanne,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I am glad you have found this site and it is giving you both answers and encouraging news that doctors are progressing in understanding HCM. I wish you and your brother the best through this difficult time of year.

Reenie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Just wanted to share..]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 08-20-02 10:40

Joanne -

This story is not new to me..I had heard about your friend Cassy a few years ago. I am not sure who it was that contacted the HCMA, but I had heard of a death in Austrailia of a girl named Cassy that is too similar to the girl you have just introduced us to.

I am glad you found the site and happy that you still carry your friend in your heart. If you would like any further information just let us know.

Best wishes,

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X