If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Insurance Question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Insurance Question

[Health Insurance Question]

Author: Ada (---.netcarrier.net)

Date: 08-19-02 20:54

My health insurance company has evidently decided that I need a case manager. The woman I spoke to today said she is with an independent company that works with the insurance company. When she explained what her role with me would be, it seemed like a great idea. The case manager was very helpful and seemed knowledgeable, but I am a little suspicious. Anyone has any experience with this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Health Insurance Question]

Author: Ada (---.netcarrier.net)

Date: 08-19-02 20:55

Sorry, my fingers aren't typing very well tonight. The question I meant to ask was: Does anyone have any experience with this?

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 08-19-02 21:09

Dear Ada

When an insurance company thinks that you are going to need a lot or care or long term care or a lot of coordination in your care, they have started using case managers to help you manage your insurance needs. I know my company does this but I haven't used them myself --my company's brochure made it sound like it is mostly for people who need home health aids/care.

I'm curious to know how the case manager described her role to you.

It sounds like it will be great.

Sarah

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 08-19-02 23:22

Ada,

I have one from my HMO. It is the same person who I worked with 1 1/2 ago when I had weight loss surgery. Basically it is someone to send the paperwork to, get it all processed, and then seek approval. WHat really helps is you have a name to call when it's been awhile and you want to know what is going on. One thing though is the case manager is part of the Care Management Organization which is part of the HMO. For me it is not a seperate company.

Jerry

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 08-20-02 07:18

Hello,

This is one aspect of "managed" care that really does seem to work. A case manager is given to an insured person when either the diagnosis or large bills are beyond the ability of a general claims processer. Having a case manager can be nice as you do have one single point of contact, they normally tend to work as your advocate with the insurance company. Most all of my experience with case managers has been positive. I did have one case with one of my employees about 5-7 years ago where the man who was assigned to be the "case manager" thought he was the doctor and kept attempting to alter the treatment course, what was odd about that case was he was going out of his way to be "helpful" yet he did greatly interfere with the patient/doctor relationship. If you think your case manager is getting "too involved" then ask to speak to his/her manager.

I have had more than 20 cases in management in 14 years and only one was a bad experience the rest were very possitive.

Lisa

Author: Julie (216.181.113.---)

Date: 08-22-02 12:06

Ada,

I was assigned a case manager after I received my ICD. She was an independant consultant hired by my insurance company. She explained that she would attempt to help me coordinate my care, deal with billing issues (if any), help me with any questions, problems, issues I had with my HCM.

I was skeptical at first, but realized that she was not trying to change or alter my care in any way.

She and I actually decided that we would close my case, as I was doing fine post-surgery. She did help with some billing issues though.

In all, I would go for it. I don't think you have anything to lose.

Julie
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X